Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q42  V40
GPA: 3.35
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
 Q42  V40
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Has anyone else experienced this??? 610-570 after 3 months [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If I notice the pattern correctly, it is every other time that you get 690 - take one more practice test and go for the test :)

Jokes aside, not sure. There is some variation between the practice tests, but not so much. You are going to have to figure this one out....
Manager
Manager
 Q42  V40
Send PM
I know I think I have found a ground breaking strategy here. When you hit your lowest score on a CAT schedule you test for the next day and you will score over 700 for sure. Haha. I plan on taking another CAT sometime this weekend so we will see what that one tells me. My guess is anywhere from 550 to 780.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
 Q36  V31 GMAT 2: 730  Q48  V42
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Send PM
I know you posted this a while ago, but I was wondering whether you have now passed the GMAT and got the score you wanted.

I am in a similar situation to you, studying for the GMAT now because I have time but only planning to enter an MBA in a few years. My verbal score average around 35, and my quant around 37. I have a big variation in practice test scores which makes it hard to know where I really stand.

Did you pass the GMAT and get the score you wanted?
If yes, what did you do to get there? Did your score stabilize?
If no, what are you doing to improve now?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
I went from 660 to 620 on my second GMAT attempt , although I was scoring in the 700's on practice.

GMAT scores are within +/- 30 pts of ur actual ability. Your current scores are within a range of 40 points (610-570). Now if your schools median GMAT score is within your current range , it shouldnt be a reason to panic.

There is a high degree of correlation between practice tests and the actual test, as long as your not repeating the same tests again. Getting repeated questions which you have mastered creates a false sense of security, and doesnt help build skills. Although its a good thing to do if your a nervous wreck and need additional confidence before the actual test. So if you score a 750, on a test youve done before and need to feel great before your actual test, Go for it! . Again testing yourself on the same concept over and over again doesnt do any good. Instead just work on your weaknesses, instead of just doing multiple tests. I did the same thing the first two times. Didnt work for me.

Finally if you feel underconfident , take up Prep coaching, if you have the time and the money. Your deadlines pretty soon , so dont beleive you can do that unless you decide to postpone/retake ur test.

I knew Im not putting my efforts in the right direction, as my practice test scores were not reflected on the actual test, the first two times , and I didnt also didnt know what was going wrong.

And taking prep coaching worked for me because all I did this time was worked on my weaknesses. I joined Knewton, which and my score went up to 720 after prep coaching, the third time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
bb wrote:
Jokes aside, not sure. There is some variation between the practice tests, but not so much. You are going to have to figure this one out....

Just wanted to echo bb's point above... you really have to figure this one out yourself...

are you not taking the exams in a consistent setting? i.e., no interruptions, enough sleep, feeling focused/concentrated? etc.

some days I just feel better, scoring higher than normally... some days my brain is fried and I stun myself w/ a horrid score... it really depends on a little of everything

Also, it might be the inherent nature of how each test prep creates the exams... some a bit more difficult than others.
Manager
Manager
 Q42  V40
Send PM
Nifoui to answer your question I have not taken the GMAT yet I'm planning on taking it March 2nd. Right now I am trying to work on some of my weak areas by going through my error log, and also work on timing by doing 2 practice tests per week. Also I made flashcards of all the MGMAT books so I review those during my lunch at work.

Adalfu, I have been taking my tests in a consistent setting under relatively similar conditions. I take only the alotted break time in between sessions. What I find odd is that when I feel like I am doing terrible that is when I surprise myself with a high score.

Also how reliable are the scores on the PR CATs. I took one this weekend I got a 580, and looking at my hit rate I thought my score should have been higher. I took the first CAT from PR a while back and got a 590. But on my second I improved my Quant hit rate 20% but my verbal only decreased 5% and I ended up with a lower score. I know that hit rate has no bearing on score, and it is the difficulty of questions you are getting right that matters. I just feel like it should have been higher.

I'm just getting really frustrated because I have worked my tail off for the last for months, I mean GMAT has been my life and I feel that I had a decent strategy and I just expect my work to pay off. But I have three weeks left, so if anyone has any suggestions keep them coming, I appreciate those who have already commented.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
 Q36  V31 GMAT 2: 730  Q48  V42
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Send PM
Hi trzaskm
Thanks for your reply

It seems like we really have similar experiences, just got a 580 this weekend too :( Although I am not yet ready for the test (one or two months more), I recently understood that my variation in prep test scores is due to weak quant basics which leads me to way too many guesses on tough questions.

I just started to work on my weaknesses, prioritizing them by frequency of error and frequency the question type appears in the test. So far, I found the best way to REALLY improve on weaknesses is to work with someone who can explain you the stuff you don't get. It could be a tutor (quite expensive though) or a friend who is good in maths or better who passed the GMAT and knows what you're going through.

I am now working with my boyfriend who went through the GMAT 2 years with a relatively good quant level. I just wish I had done that earlier! Working with someone helps you not only to understand basics, but also spot wrong techniques to attack questions and assumptions you make when reading a problem.

If you have an opportunity that would be my best recommendation for improving your weaknesses, just before the test would also I believe give you a lot of confidence.

Wish you best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
trzaskm,

Any update on how the GMAT went for you? I am in a similar boat - scores ranged from 580-770 and was a 640 on the real test... So CONFUSED what to do?
Manager
Manager
 Q42  V40
Send PM
Taking the test May 10th. Last 2 tests have been pretty consistent though. Powerprep #1 730, Gmatprep #2 750. I'm hoping that this is a good sign though. I'll get back to you when I finish the real thing.
Manager
Manager
 Q42  V40
Send PM
agnok, just got back from the test got a 680 42q 40v. I never thought I would say this, and was absolutely appalled when people said this about their score, but I am disappointed and will retake in a year or two. Here's why, on my last 4 tests my lowest Q score was a 47, and I know with some more SC work I can get my verbal at least to 42. I said going into the test that my goal was 720. I'm thinking about the Knewton course which has a 50 point money back guarantee, and a 50 point increase would achieve my goal. That won't be for a year or two. as for now, I'm 23 years old, got out of U-grad last year, and have spent the last 6 months studying for the GMAT, now it is time to live a little bit. P.s. Beer in hand right now.

agnok, if you don't mind me asking, what schools are you targeting?
GMAT Club Bot