Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Re: Question on Background check [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Richie:
I have a definitive answer for you, as I have done the research into background checks, have been doing consulting for the past 8 years and have worked with hundreds of applicants.

1. If a school does background check you, you will sign a separate part of the application agreeing to this check. Schools that come to mind are HBS and Wharton.
2. Most of these verifications are basically VOE (Verification of Employment) and not a full background check into criminal history, although the school reserves the right to do this. Basically, the school does not do a full blown background check.
3. Background checks are usually done by Kroll. This is a fun fact.....

This is the bottom line - the school is going to leave it up to you to disclose anything serious. An open container ticket is not something that you are going to need to disclose, unless the application is very specific about it.
Put another way is that the school does not even call the recommender most of the time, why would they spend another $50 to run a background check on you? That is my no BS answer for you.

-Paul Lanzillotti

Richie2010app wrote:
I'm applying to business schools and I have a question about the background check process... I got a ticket in college for having an open alcohol container as a passenger in a vehicle, but i paid my fine and it hasn't come back to hurt me thus far in life. Is this something that I need to include on my application and will it come up in the background check that most schools perform? The offense was not in the state in which I'm applying. Also, are minor offenses like these red flags for business schools?
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hi Richie:
I have a definitive answer for you, as I have done the research into background checks, have been doing consulting for the past 8 years and have worked with hundreds of applicants.

1. If a school does background check you, you will sign a separate part of the application agreeing to this check. Schools that come to mind are HBS and Wharton.
2. Most of these verifications are basically VOE (Verification of Employment) and not a full background check into criminal history, although the school reserves the right to do this. Basically, the school does not do a full blown background check.
3. Background checks are usually done by Kroll. This is a fun fact.....

This is the bottom line - the school is going to leave it up to you to disclose anything serious. An open container ticket is not something that you are going to need to disclose, unless the application is very specific about it.
Put another way is that the school does not even call the recommender most of the time, why would they spend another $50 to run a background check on you? That is my no BS answer for you.

-Paul Lanzillotti

Richie2010app wrote:
I'm applying to business schools and I have a question about the background check process... I got a ticket in college for having an open alcohol container as a passenger in a vehicle, but i paid my fine and it hasn't come back to hurt me thus far in life. Is this something that I need to include on my application and will it come up in the background check that most schools perform? The offense was not in the state in which I'm applying. Also, are minor offenses like these red flags for business schools?

Richie,
In summary, we are all saying - you should be fine :) Best of luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
So should I mention this on my application at all and click the "Have you ever committed a crime" box, or should i just leave it off all together?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Richie2010app wrote:
So should I mention this on my application at all and click the "Have you ever committed a crime" box, or should i just leave it off all together?

What they've been trying to tell you is that getting a ticket is not "crime", in terms of the definition that is presented in the bschool application. That's why they are saying you will be fine. Leave the box blank.
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Richie:
I stated above that you do not need to disclose but I realized that I may need to be more specific. You were issued a citation (ticket) and the best way to think about this is that this is akin to a traffic citation or ticket. I totally appreciate your thoroughness but you would not list the traffic tickets you have received. With my lead foot, I may have had to bust out the optional application for this one a few years back. It's TMI as they say in some other forums.
So, leave it off the application. ;)
Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Richie2010app wrote:
Send PM
Sorry if we confused you earlier. Your situation is akin to a traffic violation, and hence not applicable to a criminal history. So yes, please leave it off :)

However, you do come across with a lot of integrity and hopefully that comes across in your application package. Integrity, accountability and responsibility are key characteristics being sought after in future business leaders through the essays, letters and data forms by business schools, and I am impressed that you chose to verify your situation multiple times.

Best of luck - do come back and tell us how it turned out!
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
The process is very school dependent. Some top business schools and MBA programs will check every applicant, some may randomly select a percentage of admitted applicants, and some dig deeper only when they feel that something is not adding up in the application details submitted by the candidate.
Lying or omitting important details wilfully is an act of deception and will jeopardize the admission. Although minor discrepancies like being off by a month when listing employment dates, etc. may not lead to such extreme steps. Most schools give applicants a chance to explain any plausible mistakes.
For more info on MBA Background checks, please visit: https://aringo.com/background-checks-in ... s-process/
GMAT Club Bot