Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Chicago
 Q40  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q40  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Solaris,

Do you have anything to say about the Summer Start Program. Just curious to what it is, and how peopel who are a part of it view it as. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q40  V44
Send PM
My profile. 27/m/680/top public school 3.5/college athlete. Worked at a VC and at two startup hedge funds for 5 years before moving to social investing. Currently teaching in small school in India.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
To take Solaris' point a little further - the chances of you placing out of either of those core classes is minimal. Accounting is super difficult to place out of (need to be a CPA pretty much) and Stats is really quite tough - you need to have memorized and be able to perform regression stats with a calculator without notes - I remember writing "see you in class" on mine. This is actually tougher than the class itself will be (I worked with an engineering Grad throughout the class and we pretty clearly could have used our time better than in Stats).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
To take Solaris' point a little further - the chances of you placing out of either of those core classes is minimal. Accounting is super difficult to place out of (need to be a CPA pretty much) and Stats is really quite tough - you need to have memorized and be able to perform regression stats with a calculator without notes - I remember writing "see you in class" on mine. This is actually tougher than the class itself will be (I worked with an engineering Grad throughout the class and we pretty clearly could have used our time better than in Stats).

I was considering taking an accounting class and stats class before hand, but not with the intention of placing out of the core class. I come from humanities background and want to have some exposure prior to entering. I havent taken stats since highschool, and never touched accounting (although i have some practical experience in it). Do you think these classes would be a waste of time?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
Summer Start is a fantastic experience, I completed the program last summer and have nothing but good things to say about it!

Most people simply view it as an opportunity settle in to business school a bit more gradually than the rest of the incoming class. There's a huge variety in the backgrounds of the folks who are admitted to the program - we had bankers, military officers, entrepreneurs, consultants, engineers, as well as non-profit and entertainment industry types - so it's not intended to only appeal to a certain kind of applicant. In addition to getting an earlier start to your required core coursework, Summer Start does give you access to some unique "leadership development" programming that's not available to MBA1s otherwise.

Some (3underscore is very likely going to quip "short bus" here again :) )would say that it's a program intended for people who might need a bit of extra prep to come up to speed with the academic demands of business school, but the math and accounting prep classes offered during Summer Start are also offered as part of the Fall orientation.

I personally viewed Summer Start as an opportunity to build an extensive peer group before things kicked off in earnest in the Fall, finish some core and elective courses I would have taken otherwise anyway over the summer (so I had more time to spare during the Fall and the Spring), and my experience completely met all of my expectations. By far the most fun 6 weeks I've spent at Stern so far. Okay, perhaps Pre-Term was more fun, but you get the drift.

RuthlessCA wrote:
Solaris,

Do you have anything to say about the Summer Start Program. Just curious to what it is, and how peopel who are a part of it view it as. Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
You'll get enough "pre-work" preparation in accounting and general quantitative concepts before you officially start the semester, mustafaj. Unless you're remarkably committed to acing either class, there's no need to take either class even if you've never had accounting or statistics before.

The way the accounting and statistics core classes are structured, the first few weeks are intended to be a review of really basic concepts and that helps tremendously in preparing you for what awaits in the latter half of the semester.

mustafaj wrote:
I was considering taking an accounting class and stats class before hand, but not with the intention of placing out of the core class. I come from humanities background and want to have some exposure prior to entering. I havent taken stats since highschool, and never touched accounting (although i have some practical experience in it). Do you think these classes would be a waste of time?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Well, I finally scheduled my R1 interview in NYC. I originally planned to interview off-campus in London to save me using up my vacation days but I already have admit offers so I need a decision from Stern more quickly.

I'm excited now though about visiting campus and meeting some current students!

By the way does anyone have tips for non-blind interview preparation? I'm finding it difficult to predict what kind of questions they're going to ask.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Interviews will be pretty friendly about the career direction you want, other options should some big change not work, relating to self awareness and teamwork, knowledge and research of the school.

Let me know when you are in town. If you are staying over a Thursday, do beer blast as it is a really good way to check out fit with the school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I submitted my app for R2 .. Jan 15 ... App went into review by Jan 29 .. I havenot heard anything after that till now ... Should I be worried? Anyone else in teh same boat?

maybe I am just too anxious :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
this post is similar to the previous one..
i applied a couple days before Jan 15 R2 deadline and my application status currently reads that it has been sent to committee for review. has any R2 applicants received an interview invitation?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In the same boat...R2 applicant.. 1/15....though app went to review on 2nd Feb....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Analyst9 wrote:
In the same boat...R2 applicant.. 1/15....though app went to review on 2nd Feb....

I too submitted on the same day but my app says Submitted. Should I be worried that it's not under review yet? Should I call the NYU office?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Gkumar,

Not sure where exactly you are checking your status. As per my knowledge, the apps go under review the moment they send you the "receipt of application" E-mail.

are you checking the status in the application status check ?
Current Student
Send PM
Analyst9 wrote:
Gkumar,

Not sure where exactly you are checking your status. As per my knowledge, the apps go under review the moment they send you the "receipt of application" E-mail.

are you checking the status in the application status check ?

Analyst9, in the application website itself where you click submit, it says "Submitted". For other schools, it changes from Submitted to complete, under review, etc. But NYU hasn't changed. Also, I checked my old emails about an Application Status Check and logged in and got this:
"Thank you for applying to the NYU Stern School of Business. We have received your application and it is being presented to the Admissions Committee for review. You will receive initial notification on or before the notification dates indicated below."

Did everyone who applied to NYU get this static Submit while having their apps under review as per the Application Status Check website? Or am I missing something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
gkumar,

Thats right. NYU does not change anything on the actual application website. It will only show submitted. Any changes that happen will only happen the "Application Status Check" website going forward. All of us have the same status as of now.

HTH.
Current Student
Send PM
Analyst9 wrote:
gkumar,

Thats right. NYU does not change anything on the actual application website. It will only show submitted. Any changes that happen will only happen the "Application Status Check" website going forward. All of us have the same status as of now.

HTH.

Good to know thanks. I am in desperate need of a vacation. :oops:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg (R2), Wharton (R2 - Int), Stern (R2)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
does anyone know around what % of applicants stern extends invites to?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  54