Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Blog on Chicago [#permalink]
This former admissions applicant has posted his experiences applying to Chicago here:
https://mbawire.blogspot.com/2003_06_08_ ... #200409118

Scroll down the page and look on the lefthand side bar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Questor,

thanx for the great post and info!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
School surveys [#permalink]
Hi. I paid $41.70 for a six-month subscription to Vault.com. It includes surveys submitted from MBA students (past and current). Fifty-three surveys were submitted for Chicago alone. Granted, some students answered the questions in more detail than others. I did find tips on the admissions process and info on the academic environment.

Another resource is the MBA journals: https://mbazone.com
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would consider the Vault information with a (large) grain of salt. Their reports always seemed a bit suspect to me, but I guess reasonable minds could differ on these issues.

The best way to gauge your fit at any school would be to visit. A visit to the Hyde Park Campus is far more telling than almost any other source of information. While this might not be feasible for many potential applicants it is far better than relying in the urban legends that proliferate about different schools.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i'm backing up hjort on this one, of course i'm not saying that you wasted your money on the access fot vault, but you can also consider a campus visit which will give you a more personal touch with the school and you can decide from personal experience if GSB meets your expectations. keep us update on GSB and keep posting interesting stuff about other schools as well. i'll be visiting GSB next spring probably in april. cheerz :-D
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would like to in turn agree with Kayser. For the sake of clarity, I am not saying that Vault is a waste of money. I am merely suggesting that one should use it with caution (like one should use virtually all sources of info. with caution).

If one is serious about attending Chicago, I would also look into that school's Grad student at large program.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Chicago [#permalink]
Hi. I paid both Chicago and Northwestern a visit at the end of November. Boy, are they different! To me, Chicago felt more high brow, while Northwestern felt more social. It's kind of hard to explain. At Chicago, I felt like I could sense the mental energy of the students working, or something like that. Both the current students and prospective students that I met that day impressed me. Comparing to the students at other schools that I've visited so far, Chicago students seemed to be the smartest, in my opinion. This is only a generalization, of course.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Chicago [#permalink]
One of the current students that I talked to mentioned that the majority of the recruiters are from the finance industry.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Chicago GSB Criteria [#permalink]
Hi,

Is it true that 'Univ of Chicago GSB' needs you to have 'masters degree' & not 'bachelors degree'?

-Vivek
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vivek's question [#permalink]
Before your application could be considered? You were talking about the MBA program, right? No, a B.A. will suffice.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Please see below

Chicago:

"Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka:
Applicants must have completed a master's degree. One year of a two-year master's program is not sufficient. The B.Com., B.A., B.Tech., B.Eng., or B.Sc., or other similar degrees alone are not acceptable."

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Eligibility Criteria for MBA Program [#permalink]
From Chicago GSB's website:

"The prerequisite for admission is a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. In special cases, exceptions may be made for applicants who can meet the school’s special eligibility criteria. (See Information for International Students). We have no admissions quotas or arbitrary cut-offs with respect to grade point averages, GMAT scores or work experience.

An international applicant is anyone who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident at the time of application to the GSB. International applicants should submit their application as soon as possible to allow ample time to apply for a student visa if admitted; we strongly recommend that international applicants apply by mid-January. Part-Time Program applicants must hold a work visa.

Eligibility
To be eligible for admission, applicants must have completed the equivalent of a U.S. four-year bachelor's degree. The Graduate School of Business reserves the right to review the academic records of all international applicants and to determine whether the academic credentials presented from a non-U.S. institution qualify for consideration. Applicants holding only professional diplomas or higher certificates or members of professional associations such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants are not qualified to apply for admission unless they also hold recognized university degrees or titles."
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think Questor and I are in agreement. Students generally need a BA/BS for admission to the GSB but the GSB does not consider some degrees that have the title "Bachelors" to satisfy the BA/BS requirement. In that condition, one would generally need an MA/MS.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just my 2 cents on the Masters being required for students frm India/Bangladesh etc - Many universities in these countries offer a 3 year Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree not to be confused with a 4 year Bachelor of Engineering (BE) degree. Most US universities find it inadequate (or just unfair) to admit students with this degree into their masters programs. The "way out" for these students is as suggested and is to get a 2 year MSc degree on top of the BSc before being found eligible.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]