Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, MOT
Schools:Duke R2, MIT R2, NCSU R2, Georgia Tech
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.77
WE 1: Technology Management - 5 years
WE 2: Supply Chain Management - 1 year
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink]
burl803 wrote:
Ding-dong-ding. 700/3.7 GPA/ 8 years WE. Currently a Sloan student, not MBA tho., wanted to so change the program . Started a student club here, finalist in the 100K competition. Looks like the admits will indeed be superhumans ! ...and to top it all Sloan AdCom "does not have the resources" to give feedback to applicants. (Wharton with 7000+ applicants still does it, looks like the Dean really has to give Rod some strategy lessons and money to do it!)

Imagine getting the ding-dong e-mail and then within 15 minutes attending my Sloan class with all MBA's students around me... !!

sf1 wrote:
Ding!
740 / 3.7 GPA / 6 Years WE. Currently an Entrepreneur in San Francisco.
Other dings, can you post your stats? Any other entrepreneurs get interviews (or accepted from R1)? Tell me your secret!

That's a slap in the face!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
burl803 wrote:
Ding-dong-ding. 700/3.7 GPA/ 8 years WE. Currently a Sloan student, not MBA tho., wanted to so change the program . Started a student club here, finalist in the 100K competition. Looks like the admits will indeed be superhumans ! ...and to top it all Sloan AdCom "does not have the resources" to give feedback to applicants. (Wharton with 7000+ applicants still does it, looks like the Dean really has to give Rod some strategy lessons and money to do it!)

Imagine getting the ding-dong e-mail and then within 15 minutes attending my Sloan class with all MBA's students around me... !!

sf1 wrote:
Ding!
740 / 3.7 GPA / 6 Years WE. Currently an Entrepreneur in San Francisco.
Other dings, can you post your stats? Any other entrepreneurs get interviews (or accepted from R1)? Tell me your secret!

Yikes. If you didn't get in what chance do the rest of us mortal souls have? :(
I'm sorry to hear that. If you are at Sloan maybe they felt they could continue having you as a student and give a spot to someone else. Since you're right there, why not visit the admissions office in the summer and ask for feedback? I'm sure if you're sincere some nice lady will help.

Btw Wharton doesn't give feedback anymore either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This is pathetic. I got dinged from mit, but should be accepted soon to a top 20 program for reasons I won't detail. However, we give these app committee jokers way too much power. I mean, we all have different reasons for going back. The GMAT is truly the best test of one's ability in the classroom. However, they place all this emphasis on some BS essays that don't mean $hit in the real world, and expect to mold the business leaders of tomorrow from the decisions they make. How about interviewing based on intelligence (GMAT). Well, we actually don't do a lot based on intelligence as a country. I personally have made a lot of $$ betting against the standard US stock market investments over the last 5 years and don't expect that to change any time soon. Don't drink the kool-aid. Be smart. Most of these places aren't going to really teach you anything, btw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Chicago Booth - Class of 2012
Send PM
hotrod wrote:
This is pathetic. I got dinged from mit, but should be accepted soon to a top 20 program for reasons I won't detail. However, we give these app committee jokers way too much power. I mean, we all have different reasons for going back. The GMAT is truly the best test of one's ability in the classroom. However, they place all this emphasis on some BS essays that don't mean $hit in the real world, and expect to mold the business leaders of tomorrow from the decisions they make. How about interviewing based on intelligence (GMAT). Well, we actually don't do a lot based on intelligence as a country. I personally have made a lot of $$ betting against the standard US stock market investments over the last 5 years and don't expect that to change any time soon. Don't drink the kool-aid. Be smart. Most of these places aren't going to really teach you anything, btw.

Wow. I hope you don't end up at whatever school I go to . . .

I'm a R1 deferred candidate and actually got excited for a second thinking that I would get an interview, but now I'm back to anticipating a delayed ding . . .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q48  V49
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Ding dong the witch is dead
which old witch?
The wicked witch

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
John Galt. Atlas Shrugged? One of the best books ever written. Doubt Hot Rod Garthia agreetthh, but who knowtthhhsss. Anyways, I was just letting off a little steam about the way this whole thing works.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Dallas Texes Exes, Toastmasters, DFW IT Professionals
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology, Marketing
Schools:McCombs, MIT
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.2 at UT
WE 1: IT Outsourcing
WE 2: IT Outsourcing
Send PM
Ding

3.2 GPA in Electrical Engineering at UT
730 Gmat
4.5 WE as Business Development Manger (Sales)

On the Board of directors for the 2nd largest Alumni Chapter in the world
Active and Accomplished Toastmaster
Founder and President of Technology User Group with over 1200 members and month meetings with over 100 in attendance
Worked with and lead teams in India on a daily basis for the past 4 years and have worked out of the Bangalore office

I know it's competitive out there but gosh this is frustrating.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Chicago Booth - Class of 2012
Send PM
hotrod wrote:
John Galt. Atlas Shrugged? One of the best books ever written. Doubt Hot Rod Garthia agreetthh, but who knowtthhhsss. Anyways, I was just letting off a little steam about the way this whole thing works.

Yes, fantastic book. Fantastic ideology.

I understand your frustration, I'll be equally as frustrated when my imminent ding comes as well. Although I value intelligence more than most, there is a lot to be said for the person that has the social skills to become president of his/her school or work his/her way up in business on a "who you know" basis. It is not a strong talent of mine, by any means, but it is certainly admirable and is incredibly valuable in business, thus the essays and resume portion of the app.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
qdevery wrote:
Ding

3.2 GPA in Electrical Engineering at UT
730 Gmat
4.5 WE as Business Development Manger (Sales)

On the Board of directors for the 2nd largest Alumni Chapter in the world
Active and Accomplished Toastmaster
Founder and President of Technology User Group with over 1200 members and month meetings with over 100 in attendance
Worked with and lead teams in India on a daily basis for the past 4 years and have worked out of the Bangalore office :shocked

I know it's competitive out there but gosh this is frustrating.

Agreed. Feeling a myriad of emotions:
:beat :pc :arh :ouch :nopem :hair :wall :crying :out :dunnow :hammer :maniac :saw :plasma :help2 :beatup

I'll be a-drinking tonight...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford (R2), Wharton (R2), MIT (R2 ding w/o Int.), Kellogg (R2)
 Q50  V42
Send PM
D-I-N-G

760/M/32/PhD(US)/6 Yr WE, patent, startup and big company experience, Entrepreneurship
Intern
Intern
Send PM
burl803 wrote:

been lurking up until now. ding for me in cambridge as well. rod's got some nerve saying that they can't spare the time of 2 employees to provide feedback for 4200 (assuming 500 of the 4700 receive acceptance offers) applicants. considering how much one spent in time (avg of 40hrs) and money ($250+GMAT) on each application, they can't spare 2 people to provide feedback for the 168,000 hrs (4200*40) that we put in?! julie strong has said that they spend 20-25 minutes on each application, what's another 2 minutes to give us a few sentences of feedback as they go through our app?

just venting here. i was expecting a ding and knew that they didn't provide feedback. for those of us who received bad news on the ding day, is it even worth reapplying without significantly improving your application in 8 months time? yeah, i know the acceptance rate for reapps is higher... 18%. whoopty doo.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Tepper Class of 2012
 Q47  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit
Send PM
I just accepted a spot on the waitlist. They write, "We will likely have between 100 and 200 active candidates on the waiting list."

I feel... actually pretty okay. Definitely a relief to stop refreshing.

My stats: 25 / F / 730 / 3.5 Ivy / Nonprofit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hotrod wrote:

Rd2 applicant, looks like I just got waitlisted, I guess they plan to have between 100 to 200 people on the list.

Originally posted by thenewguy2010 on 05 Mar 2010, 11:59.
Last edited by thenewguy2010 on 16 Mar 2010, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just received an email too stating that I have wait-listed. Rec'd 1:45pm

I am a NYC applicant

Stats:

26/ M/ 710 GMAT/ 3.8 gpa ivy league/ 4 yrs finance WE
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Truman Scholar
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Stanford GSB R2, MIT Sloan R2 (w/o int), HBS R2 (w/o int)
 Q47  V44
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years, Senior VP, acquired Silicon Valley startup
Send PM
Waitlisted as well, in the south.

30 / M/ 730 GMAT / Ivy League undergrad / 4.0 GPA, 2 majors (Econ/Math) / 8 years work experience (mostly management in a now-acquired startup)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It is all about how chillingly exciting your stories in the essays are guys. Period. GMAT/GPA/WE are just a booster, that is it.

It is not about how good you are, but how good your essays are!

Of the dozens of MBA Sloanies I personally closely know while at Sloan, I would say 85% are just simple people with decent experience under their belt - work/outside (just like the tons I know outside of Sloan). It was how they spun it in their essays that counted... and I admire that. It is a skill that counts, but not the only one. I feel the AdCom is putting undue weightage on essays. Inviting more candidates to interview with them/alumni and having a blind interview would have been much better. There are so many non-MBA successful business people who would have written awful essays. Written communication is by far the primary decision making factor here, which is unfortunate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Send PM
burl803 wrote:
It is all about how chillingly exciting your stories in the essays are guys. Period. GMAT/GPA/WE are just a booster, that is it.

It is not about how good you are, but how good your essays are!

Of the dozens of MBA Sloanies I personally closely know while at Sloan, I would say 85% are just simple people with decent experience under their belt - work/outside (just like the tons I know outside of Sloan). It was how they spun it in their essays that counted... and I admire that. It is a skill that counts, but not the only one. I feel the AdCom is putting undue weightage on essays. Inviting more candidates to interview with them/alumni and having a blind interview would have been much better. There are so many non-MBA successful business people who would have written awful essays. Written communication is by far the primary decision making factor here, which is unfortunate.

well said!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45