Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
jwatson wrote:
I feel your pain. I took the Gmat in November 02 and got a score of 440. I felt really stupid after receiving a score below 500. I plan on retaking the exam in a few months.

I suggest buying the Princeton Review Gmat book. It seems to be the best out there.

Good luck.

Not to invade, but I liked Kaplan the best. It seemed to be the best value for the money. I have written reviews for many books, there are also comments by visitors.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: lessons learnt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vithal wrote:
Hi folks,

I took the GMAT too! got a painful 600 when I was targetting for something above 700. here are a few lessons I learnt (might not apply to everyone though!)
We need to have a preset strategy to attack GMAT. something like Plan A,Plan B etc depending on time/type of questions we face. the next important thing is the confidence level before and during the test. Quant. is definitely crackable with a structured preparation (take one book(say OG) and complete all the chapters), but verbal needs a different kind of preparation. For each question type in verbal, we need to follow a different strategy.....am trying to gather more information on this!

You are absolutely right. It is hard to practice verbal (except SC, maybe where you can get it by practice) but generally you need to polish your verbal strategy and follow it on the test, otherwise if you are just going there blindly, prep is not much helpful for reading or SC.
THough styding grammar is very helpful for SC, and it is probably the easiest of the three...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
more... [#permalink]
Somehow I feel that CR is easier than RC and SC.
RC is by far the toughest, as it eats into both time and score! SC has its own difficulties, you will never know if a question is easy or tough! CR is more logical, though sometimes it gets difficult too!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: more... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vithal wrote:
Somehow I feel that CR is easier than RC and SC.
RC is by far the toughest, as it eats into both time and score! SC has its own difficulties, you will never know if a question is easy or tough! CR is more logical, though sometimes it gets difficult too!

I think I always got a better score in SC, and it seemed "easy" because you can actually learn a rule for almost everything. CR and RC - no rules really....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've taken the GMAT recently. And I've received a pretty good score of 710 (48/38 ) at the first try. I wasn't preparing very hard, just practicing simulated tests on the computer about 2 times a week for two months and 7 days of tough everyday preparation a week before the test. My English isn't ideal, though as you can see I received quite a good verbal score. In my opinion, GMAT defeating is quite a matter of strategies and luck. I would not reccomend Princeton Review book because I didn't find anything of value here. Moreover, I'm also not of a good opinion about other preparations tools like Kaplan, actually I met only about 25% of tasks in Math part of GMAT which are described in those books. In verbal section I advice the following:
in CR adhere to the passages as close as possible, don't infere to much, sometimes from our Slovenic point of view some answers would seem even too simple just a restatement of the said above.
in RC if it is possible try to eliminate wrong answers looking for references in the text every time, don't rely on your memory or understanding of the text
actually I didn't find SC part to be very difficult in GMAT, knowing "general" types of GMAT mistakes in SC it is just a matter of eliminating wrong choices.
Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Folks,
It's very useful to know from your GMAT experiences that we ought to
attack the exam in a structured way. I am planning to take it after
a few months . Just wanted to say THANKS for your feedbacks .
8)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37298 posts