Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [4]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants [#permalink]
HSBGURU wrote:
Thanks, happy to answer any HBS 2+2 questions, I've followed the program for two years (its entire life) and have a good sense of what they are looking for in terms of grades, experience, age, extra currics, and personal story. I've also done lots of 2+2 mock interviews.

Quit trolling. For anyone not paying attention, this person is not Sandy. See differences in username/post count/avatar/etc.
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
YIKES sorry for the confusion, that was me, I somehow goofed up when I registered and have two ID's on this site, I am going to write to BB to expunge the one w. out my avatar. SO SORRY :|
Kudos
Here is a quote from from the HBS 2+2 website under FAQ's
Quote:
How many seats are available in the 2+2 program?

We admitted 106 students to the inaugural 2+2 cohort and don't expect that number to grow substantially. However, we will let the strength of the applicant pool determine the exact number of admission offers we extend.

but what they dont tell you is how many kids applied. For an interesting story about that in the Harvard Crimson, see this
Quote:
Seniors Get HBS '2+2' Decisions
Published On 9/17/2008 12:51:04 AM
By PRATEEK KUMAR
Crimson Staff Writer
https://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=524066
Twenty-two Harvard seniors started the new school year on a good note this week, receiving admissions letters from Harvard Business School’s new 2+2 Program.

Approximately 630 college juniors from around the world applied to the program, which requires accepted students to enter the workforce for two years, guaranteeing them a spot at the Business School afterward.
. . . .

Sanford Kreisberg, an admissions consultant who runs the consulting blog hbsguru.com and gave mock interviews to a number of 2+2 candidates, praised the effort by the MBA admissions office to appeal to younger students who might otherwise have considered different academic paths.

"Leopold deserves an oak cluster on her 25-year service pin for dreaming up 2+2," Kreisberg said. "This campaign has probably pre-empted 20 kids from going to Yale Law School and 40 or more from going to Stanford Business School, HBS's biggest competitor."
"It's like HBS was taking babies from the candy," he added.
Kudos
NOTE: the 630 applications the 2+2 program received in the story above was for the first year it was operating.
For last year's stats see here

Quote:
Class of 2014*
Admissions
Total Applicants 844
Admits 115
% Admitted 14%
Women 39%
International 27%
Countries Represented 17
Testing Information
Complete Range
of GMAT Scores 510-790
Average GMAT 727
Range of GRE Q 690-800
Range of GRE V 560-800
Average GRE Q 767
Average GRE V 679
Average GPA** 3.75
Educational Background
Engineering & Natural Sciences 50%
Humanities & Social Sciences 44%
Business Administration 6%
Undergraduate Institutions Represented 51

*These numbers are subject to change.

**Excludes GPAs not on 4.0 scales.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Venture Capital and Startups
Schools:Stanford
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
The 2010 2+2 application questions are now up!
https://tinyurl.com/ccgd23

I'll be happy to answer questions about HBS 2+2 program and assess your profile. All 2+2 posts welcome.
------------------
fyi application dates are as follows:
2+2 Application Submission: June 15, 2010
2+2 Admissions Notification: September 2010

Hello,

I am thinking of applying to 2plus2 program at Harvard. It would be great if you could assess my profile.

Current Age: 24
Citizenship: Uzbekistan (Central Asian)
University: University of Maryland Baltimore County (Junior)
Double Major: Management of Aging Services (Gerontology) & Financial Economics
GPA: 3.70
GMAT: I will take it in May. I am aiming for 750+. 730 is an easy reach.
Extra-Curriculars: Fraternity (former treasurer, fundraising & community service officer), Habitat for Humanity, Blood Drive (organizer), cloth drive, cancer walks, Alzheimer's walks, Elder Wii Challenge.
Campus Job: Conference Assistant, Office Assistant, Resident Assistant.

I don't know if I should tell more. Let me know if something else would give you a better picture of my profile.

Thanks.
Quote:
I am thinking of applying to 2plus2 program at Harvard. It would be great if you could assess my profile.

Current Age: 24
Citizenship: Uzbekistan (Central Asian)
University: University of Maryland Baltimore County (Junior)
Double Major: Management of Aging Services (Gerontology) & Financial Economics
GPA: 3.70
GMAT: I will take it in May. I am aiming for 750+. 730 is an easy reach.
Extra-Curriculars: Fraternity (former treasurer, fundraising & community service officer), Habitat for Humanity, Blood Drive (organizer), cloth drive, cancer walks, Alzheimer's walks, Elder Wii Challenge.
Campus Job: Conference Assistant, Office Assistant, Resident Assistant.

HMMMMM, AGE 24 IS NOT A 2+2 PROFILE--YOU SHOULD APPLY DIRECTLY AS A SENIOR OR GET A JOB AND APPLY AFTER 2 YEARS. 2+2 IS REALLY FOCUSED ON STANDARD AGE COLLEGE JUNIORS, WELL, W. MAYBE ONE YEAR OFF AT MOST, OR GAP YEAR, BUT NOT 24! PROGRAM, AND ITS PLAN TO HAVE YOU DEFER ADMISSION AND ENTER B SCHOOL IN 2 YEARS JUST NOT SET UP FOR GUYS LIKE YOU. SORRY.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Venture Capital and Startups
Schools:Stanford
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
Quote:
HMMMMM, AGE 24 IS NOT A 2+2 PROFILE--YOU SHOULD APPLY DIRECTLY AS A SENIOR OR GET A JOB AND APPLY AFTER 2 YEARS. 2+2 IS REALLY FOCUSED ON STANDARD AGE COLLEGE JUNIORS, WELL, W. MAYBE ONE YEAR OFF AT MOST, OR GAP YEAR, BUT NOT 24! PROGRAM, AND ITS PLAN TO HAVE YOU DEFER ADMISSION AND ENTER B SCHOOL IN 2 YEARS JUST NOT SET UP FOR GUYS LIKE YOU. SORRY.

Thanks, Sandy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I am applying for the 2+2 program this summer. Do you know if the admission board do any research about your university to get a feeling for the quality of the university etc? Do they even look at ranking lists?

I think I have a very strong academic background but I dont have any exciting work experience. I mean I have worked every summer but the tasks have been pretty basic. I plan to really show the admission board that I have a very good analytical mind and visions for my future and focus less on my work experience. Do you think I could get accepted this way or is it necessary with good work experiences?

Carl
Quote:
I am applying for the 2+2 program this summer. Do you know if the admission board do any research about your university to get a feeling for the quality of the university etc? Do they even look at ranking lists?

I think I have a very strong academic background but I dont have any exciting work experience. I mean I have worked every summer but the tasks have been pretty basic. I plan to really show the admission board that I have a very good analytical mind and visions for my future and focus less on my work experience. Do you think I could get accepted this way or is it necessary with good work experiences?

For most USA schools, adcom has pretty good idea of selectivity and their past history w. those schools, they also know the top 1 or 2 schools in most countries, the prob is sometimes for internationals who do not attend top 2 schools (e.g. Desi who do not go to IIT or BITS etc) but ever in those cases, they respect good grades, and good grades are needed no matter what school you go to, note the average gpa for 2+2 is very high, ~3.7, I think. But good grades alone are not enuf, work exp. helps as does leadership at school and in extra currics. With just good grades you wont get far--you need either competitive internships and/or extra currics.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok, thank you for your answer. Do you know any place where I can find some samples of accepted student profiles?
hoffeman wrote:
Ok, thank you for your answer. Do you know any place where I can find some samples of accepted student profiles?

hmmmm, there used to be a facebook page but they may have closed that, because guess what, everyone was writing to them for advice etc. etc. Soooo,if that was your idea, like millions have beat you to it. Generic 2+2 numbers are posted in early posts of this thread, in terms of gpa and gmat etc. May repost here again.
There may be some profiles on HBS website. Usual brochure BS.
Kudos
hbsguru wrote:
NOTE: the 630 applications the 2+2 program received in the story above was for the first year it was operating.
For last year's stats see here

Quote:
Class of 2014*
Admissions
Total Applicants 844
Admits 115
% Admitted 14%
Women 39%
International 27%
Countries Represented 17
Testing Information
Complete Range
of GMAT Scores 510-790
Average GMAT 727
Range of GRE Q 690-800
Range of GRE V 560-800
Average GRE Q 767
Average GRE V 679
Average GPA** 3.75
Educational Background
Engineering & Natural Sciences 50%
Humanities & Social Sciences 44%
Business Administration 6%
Undergraduate Institutions Represented 51

*These numbers are subject to change.

**Excludes GPAs not on 4.0 scales.

ABOVE IS GENERIC 2+2 DATA. NOT SURE WHERE REAL PROFILES ARE--IF YOU TELL ME YOUR STORY, I CAN REALLY GIVE YOU AN IDEA IF YOU ARE IN THE RUNNING, I KNOW LOTS OF 2+2 KIDS, AND ALSO LOTS OF 2+2 KIDS WHO WERE INTERVIEWED AND DINGED. SO I GET A REAL TOUCH AND FEEL FOR THIS.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Program: MBA 2+2
Area of interest in MBA: General Management, Strategy, Finance
GMAT: prep scores around 710 but I am taking it in June so hopefully a better score than that.
GPA: 4.0 GPA - Bachelor of Science in Engineering - #1 ranked school in Sweden internationally
Work experience:
- Web master for a nonprofit organization, Production/Assembly in a medium-sized corporation, Quality assurance in a laboratory for a large corporation
Nationality: Swedish
Extra-curriculars/community: Excellent in Undergrad, founded a case-studies group for students, various volunteering in students for students activites on campus.
Other: Exchange student in the US the year 2006/2007, Excellent score on Cambridge's international entrepreneurship assesment

Do you think I will stand a chance?
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [2]
Kudos
hoffeman wrote:
GMAT: prep scores around 710 but I am taking it in June so hopefully a better score than that.
GPA: 4.0 GPA - Bachelor of Science in Engineering - #1 ranked school in Sweden internationally
Work experience:
- Web master for a nonprofit organization, Production/Assembly in a medium-sized corporation, Quality assurance in a laboratory for a large corporation
Extra-curriculars/community: Excellent in Undergrad, founded a case-studies group for students, various volunteering in students for students activites on campus.
Other: Exchange student in the US the year 2006/2007, Excellent score on Cambridge's international entrepreneurship assesment

1. Is there a reason you are 22 and a junior in college, e.g.
23 at grad, and then after 2 years, 25 or 26 at matriculation to HBS, which is OK, but most 2+2 kids a bit younger?
2. HBS will like 4.0 at top school, esp. in Science. And assuming an OK gmat or gre score you would be in the running, and I cert. suggest applying.
3. Acceptance will turn on "X" factors: what they think of your jobs (not working for blue chip companies is issue), extra currics --webmaster for non-profit is better than nothing but really kinda lame for a techie, they prefer ACTUALLY DOING STUFF WITH OTHER PEOPLE, BEING CHANGE AGENT, WORKING W. SPECIAL NEEDS, POOR, LEPERS, MINORITIES, ETC.
4. I dont usually say this, b.c. it is not as true as I wish it were, but in your case, outcome is going to depend on how you spin or position all this into something that interests them, along lines of business leader who makes a positive impact on society and evidence you HAVE DONE THAT and CAN DO THAT--esp. evidence you have done that: in story you tell above, there are seeds of that positioning, and maybe more which you did not include, but that, along w. solid gmat/gre is what you will need. As presented above, you are real smart and real nice guy who has never been too strategic about managing your resume or career. MEANING YOU ARE NORMAL. But HBS looks for connected kids who got the secret handshake about how to do good and look good earlier in life. You may pull this off, but it is going to take some strategy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
hoffeman wrote:
Work experience:

1. Is there a reason you are 22 and a junior in college, e.g.
23 at grad, and then after 2 years, 25 or 26 at matriculation to HBS, which is OK, but most 2+2 kids a bit younger?
2. HBS will like 4.0 at top school, esp. in Science. And assuming an OK gmat or gre score you would be in the running, and I cert. suggest applying.
3. Acceptance will turn on "X" factors: what they think of your jobs (not working for blue chip companies is issue), extra currics --webmaster for non-profit is better than nothing but really kinda lame for a techie, they prefer ACTUALLY DOING STUFF WITH OTHER PEOPLE, BEING CHANGE AGENT, WORKING W. SPECIAL NEEDS, POOR, LEPERS, MINORITIES, ETC.
4. I dont usually say this, b.c. it is not as true as I wish it were, but in your case, outcome is going to depend on how you spin or position all this into something that interests them, along lines of business leader who makes a positive impact on society and evidence you HAVE DONE THAT and CAN DO THAT--esp. evidence you have done that: in story you tell above, there are seeds of that positioning, and maybe more which you did not include, but that, along w. solid gmat/gre is what you will need. As presented above, you are real smart and real nice guy who has never been too strategic about managing your resume or career. MEANING YOU ARE NORMAL. But HBS looks for connected kids who got the secret handshake about how to do good and look good earlier in life. You may pull this off, but it is going to take some strategy.

First, thank you for giving me guidance!

1. The reason I am 22 is because we begin school one year later than American kids and because I could not count the classes I took during my exchange year in high school.
3. I googled blue chip company and I would say that my most recent employment is with one of these companies.
4. Yea I will really work on my essays and present myself as a potential good leader with the intention of making a difference in the world.

I will have taken 2-3 economics classes by graduation and since they do not want student with economics or business undergrads do I need to explain that somehow?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Kudos
Want to see some 2+2 profiles?

Google search:
site:linkedin.com Harvard Business School 2014