Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [20]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: My journey from 710 to 770 - lessons learnt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thank you for sharing!
I am adding your thread to the master GMAT Retake Thread
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
That's a leap! Congratulation!

I wasn't satisfied with mine 710. May retake if there is a need. But certainly not this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congratulations on your achievement !!

Nice suggestions for someone like me, getting started now.
Has been going through many threads on the success stories, so I can learn more from the experiences of others.

GMAT club rocks!! :-D
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Very high-yield advice (even if it's so not obviously "obvious") - thanks and kudos!

Picked up the takeaway being the need to focus on the exam. I grant that different things work best for different people in that regard.

But if you don't mind me asking --
- What specific actions worked best for you study-wise? What didn't?
- Which books were the most helpful in getting a 700+ score? Which were the least?
- What study techniques / strategies helped you the most?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Great achievement and I def agree with the "only take strategies that work for you" part
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
60 point increase is an excellent achievement. Congrats

Nice pointers there thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 813 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
congrats and thanks for sharing .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
congrats, what did you use to master data sufficiency?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
Send PM
Congrats on the great score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Hmm ... for some reason, I didn't get any emails about posts on this thread until today.

@abhattac5:
I feel like I'm making a trip down memory lane! :-)
Well, studying alone at night helped. I'd also apply constant pressure on myself setting goals a little out of reach - I work better under pressure. What didn't work for me was studying with someone. I learned this the hard way, and ended up spending more time tutoring my partner in math than receiving help in verbal.

- Which books were the most helpful in getting a 700+ score? Which were the least?
I cannot recommend the Manhattan GMAT SC Guide enough! The MGMAT CR and RC books were good too, but I owe it to the SC guide, really.

The fewer things you try, the better! Haha! I say this after, clearly, trying to do too much. I'd say understanding what works for you is the biggest step. This took a while for me because I hadn't taken an exam in a long long time, and it's easy to read someone else's strategy and say, "Oh, if it worked for him/her, it can work for me".
But, I haven't answered your question. What worked for me is taking down fewer notes for RC and CR sections and letting my short-term memory do more work. I saved about ten seconds or more per question, I think, but it all adds up. When I realized I was doing really well on time, I grew more relaxed and surprisingly, more confident!

@DAYNE: I wasn't trying to increase my Quant score, so I didn't spend much time on any type of math questions. That said, I heavily relied on the GMAT club tests and Manhattan GMAT practice tests to expose my flaws in logic, which happened mostly in DS questions. Much earlier, I started with the OG Quant Review.

HTH guys! Good luck to all of you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V35 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
Send PM
congrats on the great score.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
Hmm ... for some reason, I didn't get any emails about posts on this thread until today.

@abhattac5:
I feel like I'm making a trip down memory lane! :-)
Well, studying alone at night helped. I'd also apply constant pressure on myself setting goals a little out of reach - I work better under pressure. What didn't work for me was studying with someone. I learned this the hard way, and ended up spending more time tutoring my partner in math than receiving help in verbal.

I cannot recommend the Manhattan GMAT SC Guide enough! The MGMAT CR and RC books were good too, but I owe it to the SC guide, really.

The fewer things you try, the better! Haha! I say this after, clearly, trying to do too much. I'd say understanding what works for you is the biggest step. This took a while for me because I hadn't taken an exam in a long long time, and it's easy to read someone else's strategy and say, "Oh, if it worked for him/her, it can work for me".
But, I haven't answered your question. What worked for me is taking down fewer notes for RC and CR sections and letting my short-term memory do more work. I saved about ten seconds or more per question, I think, but it all adds up. When I realized I was doing really well on time, I grew more relaxed and surprisingly, more confident!

@DAYNE: I wasn't trying to increase my Quant score, so I didn't spend much time on any type of math questions. That said, I heavily relied on the GMAT club tests and Manhattan GMAT practice tests to expose my flaws in logic, which happened mostly in DS questions. Much earlier, I started with the OG Quant Review.

HTH guys! Good luck to all of you!

Hi,

I'm thinking of giving my GMAT again too. I gave it the first time a little over a year back and scored a 700 (Q46 V40) but I want to improve it by 40-50 points. I was wondering if it is worth paying $79 for the GmatClub math tests?

I'm looking for really tough Quant problems, especially those which will help improve my timing. Would the gmatclub tests fall into that category?

Thanks in advance!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Shouldn't it be "lessons learned"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
 Q51  V44
Send PM
@rahul321: Are you aiming for the additional 40-60 points from mostly an improved quant score? If so, I recommend the GMATclub math tests because several questions are harder than those in the real exam. In my case, I wasn't planning on studying much for the Quant section but needed a real Math workout. If you haven't already, I'd suggest trying the free tests first and see whether you think it added value / exposed flaws in your logic. I also tried the questions on their (paid) iPhone app before I bought the tests.

@PadawanOfTheGMAT: (learnt --> British English, learned --> American English) I grew up in India, where the flavour of spoken/written English is British. I guess it goes to show that I still hang on to some things even though I've lived in the US for eight years. In my application essays, I caught myself doing the same thing and changed it so it wouldn't be considered a typo. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
wiredo
Terrific score ! what is your advise on improving the Verbal section to 97%?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
@rahul321: Are you aiming for the additional 40-60 points from mostly an improved quant score? If so, I recommend the GMATclub math tests because several questions are harder than those in the real exam. In my case, I wasn't planning on studying much for the Quant section but needed a real Math workout. If you haven't already, I'd suggest trying the free tests first and see whether you think it added value / exposed flaws in your logic. I also tried the questions on their (paid) iPhone app before I bought the tests.

Thanks for the quick reply wiredo. My main focus is the quant section because Q46 fell just under the 80th percentile and I'd like to be well into the 85th-90th percentile there. But I plan on trying to improve both Q and V. I think Manhattan GMAT's SC book should help with the Verbal section; any other advice is welcome...

Will try out the free stuff and the iPhone app first. Thanks again!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
(learnt --> British English, learned --> American English)

Good to know. Thanks.

I didn't even greet you for your score and detailed feedback :-D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts