Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Well, as a guy who a) will be attending LBS in the fall, b) attended Wharton as an Undergrad (and loved it), and c) am a native of Philly, I'd suggest you really can't go wrong either way. I'd just encourage you to visit both places and see which is the better fit for you. Maybe the only categorical statement I'd make is that if you were 100% certain you want to do quant-heavy finance post b-school, I'd might give slightly heavier weight to Wharton because no school I've seen (including HBS and Stanford) come close to matching Wharton's finance faculty and courses. General finance, consulting and industry jobs, however, I haven't really noticed much of a difference between the two.

I agree with the Doc about his comment that Wharton's MBA student body does tend to be a bit more homogenous and parochial, much more so than I experienced with my Undergrad classmates, which is why I wasn't especially interested in going back for an MBA. The LBS-ers are much more diverse, and in my humble opinion, were more fun and accessible.

I (respectfully :-D ) COMPLETELY disagree with Doc on Philadelphia, though. Disclaimer that I am from Philly, but it really is a great, underrated city that you don't get a true feel for during a brief visit. Granted, it is never going to be as big and diverse as a NYC/London, but it's a lot of fun, easy to navigate and INCREDIBLY affordable on a student budget. In my opinion, it's a much more entertaining city for a student than either Boston or Washington, DC, and is pretty on par with a Chicago. Either way, I'd NEVER recommend someone turn down Wharton just because they think they might not like Philly. Besides, NYC is only a cheap, quick train ride away anyway.

Good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hey jasonjason,

As I was doing my research, I was put in touch with a contact via connections in Asia who's in PE (director level). Having spent 1.5 years in leveraged finance, I was exploring options to get into PE and wanted to get his thoughts on career prospects in Asia. His recommendation actually reaffirmed my decision to get an MBA, because otherwise I would have to waste a few years of my experience to start over at analyst level (I spent four years in some global leadership programs prior to my current role). I was a bit surprised that he had recommended LBS over US schools (esp knowing that he went to school in the US as well) and it was a big reassurance that LBS is already a well established brand in the market.

I think someone already mentioned this, but if you are looking to come back to the US, I would recommend applying to a US schools.. otherwise you can't go wrong with LBS!

jasonjason wrote:

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

Originally posted by octopus2010 on 29 Mar 2010, 11:37.
Last edited by octopus2010 on 29 Mar 2010, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
I can't help but comment again on the location factor. For certain industries, location and networking is EVERYTHING. I know Philly is a short train ride away from NYC, but if I wanted to work part-time during the MBA at a boutique in NYC, would it be logistically possible? LBS is a stone's throw away from Mayfair and a 25 mts tube ride away from Canary Wharf. This opens a myriad opportunities for a motivated MBA student. You attend events that will only be held in London city. You meet people for coffee because you are only 10 mts away from them. I am personally reaping the benefits of a role in an industry that would have NEVER been accessible to me from any other location (OK perhaps at New York). For a career changer this exposure is absolutely god send !!

ps. mbabiden I have added you to the roll call (I assume you were a R2 admit)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
octopus2010,

I disagree somewhat with the blanket recommendation to apply to U.S. schools for MBA aspirants from the United States looking to return there. I might agree that for certain, not all, roles in finance (where the importance of networking is dramatic!), and perhaps some in Industry as well (though, when it comes to Industry, I'm merely repeating what I've been told) U.S. schools might hold an advantage over London Business School. Other than this exception, the motivated U.S.-based MBA aspirant may freely attend London Business School and recruit successfully for U.S. jobs.

octopus2010 wrote:
hey jasonjason,

I think someone already mentioned this, but if you are looking to come back to the US, I would recommend applying to a US schools.. otherwise you can't go wrong with LBS!

jasonjason wrote:

5. I intend to come back to Asia, maybe China to work. Possibly consulting or banking, as per most other b-school graduates. In this regard, the Wharton brand is slightly stronger.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Right, doc. I only meant to emphasize the fact that LBS is a very safe bet (if not one of the best :) if someone is looking for placements outside of the US in case they have any doubts of its brand over US schools'.

Anyways, I love the interactions here... Thanks DocManhattan and others for the contributions! and now I should probably go back to work. haha 8-)

DoctorManhattan wrote:
octopus2010,

I disagree somewhat with the blanket recommendation to apply to U.S. schools for MBA aspirants from the United States looking to return there. I might agree that for certain, not all, roles in finance (where the importance of networking is dramatic!), and perhaps some in Industry as well (though, when it comes to Industry, I'm merely repeating what I've been told) U.S. schools might hold an advantage over London Business School. Other than this exception, the motivated U.S.-based MBA aspirant may freely attend London Business School and recruit successfully for U.S. jobs.

octopus2010 wrote:
hey jasonjason,

jasonjason wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, BSD, I was actually a R1 admit, but no biggie either way.

As for your point about networking, certainly, there's always a better shot for what I guess I'd call "natural" networking in huge financial centers like NY or London, but really every huge company comes to Wharton to recruit, and spends a LOT of time there, so there's tons of networking opportunity. It's also quite common during peak recruiting time, after first round interviews, for us to hop on the Acela express trains to NYC to network with companies, etc, at the company's expense. And of course, most Wharton folks do their internships in NYC. The difference is that virtually no Wharton grads stay in Philly post-graduation. I, for one, am quite excited to get to network in a major city like London without the commuting!

As for finding a job in the US post-b-school, I was never really worried about it, as it relates to LBS. I'd like to return to the US long-term (though probably not right after b-school). I work for one of the big banks, and everyone I spoke to here seems to think I'll have no problem coming back to the States after I get some international experience. Although I am a US citizen, so not sure how difficult it would be if you're not a US resident.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't NYC LBS's second biggest alum hub after London?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Ross (R2), Fuqua (R2), Sloan (R2), LBS (R2)
Send PM
i forgot to write this...

got a ding!

Interview was not really good...Interviewer ended up not really repping the school and MBA. Didn't really believe in LBS and MBA....

I knew right after that interview I wasn't going to LBS whether or not i got accepted. the ding made the decision mutual. I would feel different (disappointed with the ding) if the interview didn't go as it did.

really sad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Schools:London Business School (int)
 Q50  V41
WE 1: Research
WE 2: Corporate Strat
Send PM
I'd like to ask admits who were waitlisted (bsd_lover /any others) - did any of you specifically send any letters or documents to LBS to strengthen your case/update your profile? LBS seems to maintain that we need not send anything in unless asked to.

quantjock wrote:
4test1 wrote:
Waitlisted, for the 14 May revision.

Congrats to all the quantjock and the other admits. There seem to be quite a few of us on the waitlist. From bsd_lover's experience, this could turn out to be a long wait. And LBS is pretty much the only school I have.

Any waitlister strategies? :|

thanks 4test1!

in addition to bsd_lover's references on waitlist advice, i just wanted to add rhymes post the other day to those of us who were WLd at Booth. obviously ignore the Chicago parts, but i still think its solid general advice.

calling-fall-2010-chicago-booth-applicants-78611-2260.html#p704322

congrats, courage and condolences...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi 1st year MBA at London Business School here.

I think that people are always under the misconception that LBS is very strong in Asia. That is simply not true. We have some alumni in bulge bracket banks and investment management out there, but we're nowhere near any of the top US schools.

Recruiting for Asia banking positions is possible, but I wouldn't say it's any easier here than it would be at any of the US schools. I would definitely not say that everyone who was going for it got it. Based on my conversations with classmates, we placed about 10 into top bulge brackets in HK and Tokyo across IBD and S&T. Not sure if consulting has been weak across all business schools for internships this year, but last I heard we only had 1 guy make it into M/B/B for Asia this year!

My stats are not meant to be all knowing, just trying to provide some data points based on what I've been hearing on campus.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Management buyout
Schools:HEC Paris - Admitted, LBS - Waitlisted, INSEAD - Reapp
GMAT 2: 740
Send PM
a11c99 wrote:
Hmmm ... so until now there are 21 admitted folks from gmatclub and 18 wait-listed. :-) not bad! any news from the R1 waitlisted, any admits, any dings?

Negative on status-change here. you should double what you have counted. It seems there are waitlisters on other forums that don't have accounts here. I personally counted 5 unique IDs for R2 alone.

Also I am back on gmatclub after months away getting fat through both new year and chinese new year. it seems 20 lbs later, the news hasn't changed. Shout out to BSD_Lover, thanks for meeting me on campus once again.

FYI, I am R1 watilister. And the next review date is April 15th. I swear I will wait it out till the bitter end!

Further, I am noticing that the admits for R2 seemed to be applicants with more experience. I feel MBA2012 is a very "mature" academic year >.< Wine anyone?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Have any of the round 2 admits recieved their portal log-in information?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on R3 applications to the MiF programme such as the number of applications and admission rates?
Intern
Intern
Schools:R2 Yale (Waitlist w/ Int), R3 Darden (Int), R3 LBS(Int)
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Could you please add me to the roll call for R3.

I am anxiously waiting to hear whether I got an interivew - April 9th it is! Anyone else apply for R3? Do all interview invites get sent out on the 9th?

My stats:

F/710/5 years WE corp communications/pr/NYU undergrad

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Hi everybody,

Many thanks to all of you who contribute to this thread, esp. bsd_lover and DoctorManhattan.

Unfortunately I got a ding, along with a side note that the Adcom actively encourage me to apply in the next year(s), with the number of candidates explicitly advised to reapply said to be very low (this is not the exact quote, but something along these lines). Perhaps someone with similar experience could shed light on the way these reapps are handled, and whether the number of such cases is indeed low.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Biden, Doc Ock, Dr M, BSD et al,

Am now in Kathmandu, about to disappear for the next two months. Short msg, because the power has tripped twice already in midst of composing this.

Really appreciate the high resolution analysis and personal experiences from all.

After the various comments and own personal decision inclination, am leaning towards LBS. Hope to catch up with all of you this Fall!

Thanks again!

DoctorManhattan wrote:
jasonjason,

Once again, congratulations on your offer!

I sympathise, quite sincerely, with all those whose candidacies were rejected or assigned to the Wait-list. I’m especially surprised (and say so very honestly) that so many strong applicants were turned down; not only were there several strong profiles, but these profiles also appeared to demonstrate that critical “fit” with the unique London Business School culture. I wish everyone all the best in their future endeavours.

And now, on to keeping my promise to outline my rationale for picking London Business School over The Wharton School. In truth, jasonjason, you appear to know what factors are important in making this decision that you alone can make; additionally, bsd_lover has chimed in with a few reasons that coincide with mine. Here is why I made my choice:

• Technically, I did not choose London Business School over Wharton. I was accepted to three programmes, and by a process of elimination, picked the one I believed to have the best “fit” in terms of campus experience, and post-MBA goals. The decision was never a pure “Wharton vs. London Business School” tussle, if that distinction matters.
• I visited two campuses of the three programmes to which I was admitted (I did not visit London Business School), and it was immediately clear to me, and this is my personal opinion, that I would not enjoy my time at Wharton:

o I perceived the student body to be somewhat homogenous and parochial, and could not garner the same enthusiasm I did (and still do) for London Business School. I do not describing Wharton in a negative tone (it’s a fantastic programme, after all), but I just didn’t enjoy the “vibe” of the student body I met with. Conversely, my interaction with current students and alumni at London Business School has been such that I eagerly sought the opportunity to be a part of that community. The community is extremely heterogeneous (a factor of considerable importance to me), the people seemed a lot nicer, and the alumni in my home city have not only been extremely accessible, but their career progress since leaving London Business School is comparable to those of their peers in top U.S. MBA programmes.
o I absolutely dreaded the thought of being confined to Philadelphia for two years, and location played a significant role in my decision-making process. In that regard, London was the clear choice. It was important for me to attend a programme in an “Alpha” city, and this played handsomely into London’s favour.

• I disagree that there is a “…trade-off is in terms of reputation and brand…” as one compares Wharton to London. Among the top Finance and Consulting firms around the world, the London Business School brand is well-known and highly regarded. I am too ill-informed about the Wharton brand (not having conducted the extensive research into it as I did for London) to make a definitive statement, but I’m quite sure it is strong (likely even stronger!) than London’s; after all, it’s a much older programme with ivy status, and its historically larger classes means it obviously has a larger alumni network. However, you will recall that I was not weighing London Business School directly against Wharton on a relative basis, but holistically assessing the merits of each school. That London Business School is well-recognised in the industries and companies I intend to target proved sufficient for me. My colleagues at work have reacted very positively to my admission, and there has never a “question mark” in the assessments of my peers and superiors as to why I’d made my choice. That said, it is my experience that some of the smaller companies in Industry (non-Finance & non-Consulting roles) in certain regions are not familiar with the London Business School brand.

This is a summary, of how I made my decision.

I did some research into recruiting for offices outside London (both for Finance and Consulting) and discovered exactly what bsd_lover mentioned in his response. Consulting recruiting is very
Attachment:
MBA2009_EmploymentReport_LBS.pdf
global, and one’s home-base (the location of one’s MBA programme) plays a small role in one’s final office assignment. In other words, as long as slots are available in one’s office(s) of choice, one stands an equal chance as someone from Wharton, or IESE, or CEIBS (as long as the Consulting company recruits there). For Finance, one must run after the offices/regions in which one is interested. Two treks, as far as I know, are run by the student body for those with a Finance focus; one to the United States, the other to Asia.

The only advice I can render is that you make your decision based on careful research, and not the impressions of those with opinions based not in fact, but assumption.

For your three follow-up questions:

1) Recruiting representation at London Business School, to the extent that I can comment from my research, is excellent. I will try to attach the latest Employment Report, and perhaps you can review if for the success of the last class for which information is available, and for a list of the companies that recruit on campus.

2) I cannot comment on Europe, I’m afraid. I’m not sufficiently informed, but perhaps the Employment Report (should I succeed in attaching it to my response) will answer that question to some extent.

3) I have found (and this is the limited experience of one who has never set foot on the London Business School campus, and cannot even be considered a student of the programme) that the alumni network is present in all major regions around the world. You must note; however, that the network, while present, might be perceptibly smaller in cities outside Europe and top U.S. programmes likely dominate. The reason for this is clear: many top U.S. programmes have a longer existence, and typically admit larger classes. For instance, of the following top U.S. programmes; Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Booth, and Columbia, I believe Booth and Kellogg have the smallest class sizes of ~ 550-600; Harvard and Wharton easily have students in excess of 850. This compares to London’s class size of ~400 which, prior to 2009, was typically maintained within the 300-320 target. In terms of its strength, I have found the alumni in my home-city to be well-placed, very accessible, and impressively successful.

bsd_lover wrote:
1. All top recruiters recruit regularly from LBS. A full list can be found on LBS website somewhere.

2. I would say Shanghai Hong Kong Singapore are probably doing the best. London has seen a decent recovery and on campus recruitment for internships was very strong. However, I don't know much about the scene in the US.

3. LBS alums know that attending LBS is a different experience of moving to a new environment(at least for 90% of the students). By and large I have found them to be incredibly helpful and supportive. Some very busy and senior people take time out for you. But like alums everywhere, they will open doors, the rest is up to you.

jasonjason wrote:
Thanks a lot, BSD and Dr M. I agree with the points you guys made.

Three questions -

1. From your perspective, how is recruiting representation at LBS?

2. From your perspective, how is Europe doing, vis-a-vis US? E.g. If I wanted to be in London vs. NY vs. Shanghai or Tokyo for example.

3. Both of you are not alumnus yet, but how would you rate the strength of the alumni network (though the fact that you are both contributing so much speaks volumes in favour of the LBS crowd, thanks again).

Will be out of email contact for 2 months starting tomorrow, so it has been a crazy rush trying to decide and work out long-term plans and ask for deferment on matriculation decisions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:LBS R3
Send PM
mbasearching wrote:
Could you please add me to the roll call for R3.

I am anxiously waiting to hear whether I got an interivew - April 9th it is! Anyone else apply for R3? Do all interview invites get sent out on the 9th?

My stats:

F/710/5 years WE corp communications/pr/NYU undergrad

Thanks!

Wow, that's very strong profile. I am in PR/Marketing too, but not as strong as you... Looks like I won't even have an interview invitation... :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I have few questions about the application form to fill in :

1/ How long do you answer specific questions such as “about your current and past employments” ? or the “about you” questions ? is there any words limit again ?

2/ I feel like some of the answers are redundant with my essays or my cv (especially the employment section). Any advice ?

Please let me know if these questions have already been asked and answered in previous posts.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  55   56   57   58   59   60   61  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts