Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS R2 [interview]
GPA: 3.41 - Ivy
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Janus wrote:
A mix of a 1 week vacation around India and endless replaying of the interview in my head, (it probably gets more distorted every time I try to recall it). And then telling myself "oh interview is only part of it" and hoping....

I honestly have pretty terrible memory when it comes to most things. I can't hold a 10 digit phone # in my head for longer than 10 seconds, for example.

But when it comes to this interview and the horrendous waiting, I can still remember almost verbatim everything that I said, and every response from my interviewer. There's also an alternate world I slip into where I still like to daydream of how I could have improved some of my answers. But the truth is, even if there was an improvement on one or two responses, it would barely translate into a +1% improvement in my overall odds.

Since it's all beyond my control, here's to hoping that my profile fills some unique niche in the class. :beer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Schools:NYU, CBS, HBS, Stanford
Send PM
Hey guys,

Trying to get some of your "precious" thoughts over here. Would it be way too late for me to apply for R3 at HBS with the profile listed below? If it's not too late, what do u guys think my chances are w/ profile below? Seems like my GMAT score isn't as competitive as others' are. Tried to raise it with 2nd trial but ended up increasing only 10 points by hitting into a bump during the Verbal part. I'm open for any encouragement/advice/critiques. Thanks in advance!

27/Male/Korean-American (US Citizen)
3.2 from Marshall Undergrad Corporate Finance
700/90% (m:47 v: 38 a: 5.5)
3+ experience as Sr Financial Analyst @ $10B company
Feels pretty strong with application essays
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've interviewed at HBS R2, but I just found I out I was rejected at HKS. I had applied to the joint program but my priority was definitely HBS. Is my HKS rejection going to effect my HBS application? The websites say the applications are independant but the only information they share is final outcome. Hard to believe. Does anyone know of some admitted to one program but not the other if they applied to a joint program? Sandy jump in here if you're got some insight...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So anyone here also apply to Wharton and get results yesterday?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
as a wharton round 1 admit with fellowship, i should feel happy that i'll definitely have a b-school to attend this year. but janus, just like you, i can't stop rewinding the interview in my head and counting down the days till april 6. every word and sentence said still haunts me until now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It seems there are lots of brilliant and accomplished people with prestigious academic and WE pedigrees, amazing stats and great interviews who inexplicably don't get in.

Perhaps, then, there is the cosmic opposite: those with middling all-of-the above who equally inexplicably DO get in. I can only hope I will end up being one of the latter :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Struggling with a potential decision:
- Admitted to Wharton with full tuition scholarship
- Admitted to Kellogg with half tuition scholarship

What do I do if I also get into HBS (assume no scholarship) on April 6th?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Job Acquirement
Schools:Duke Class of 2012
Send PM
[facepalm] ---er, Wharton with full scholarship? Why is this even a discussion? Unless HBS gives you some significant $ (ok, a little bit of money might still tip a scale to some folks), a Wharton MBA for exactly $0.00 (ok, yeah, whatever, some costs, nothing worth discussing) has an ROI that I can't calculate (and I got a degree in fi-nance, as they say).

Wharton is a huge admit, congrats, seriously. HBS is not so much greater that you should walk away from the full scholarship. Go my friend, go to Philadelphia and have a great time

[/facepalm]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Decision Time,
I personally think you should take the HBS offer if you get it. Wharton is a great school and you can't go wrong with Wharton, and the full scholarship makes it extra attractive, but the value of a Harvard MBA cannot be understated and it will be worth the investment many times over. It is the ultimate MBA and I would never consider passing it up if I ever get it.
Just my 2 cents, and goodluck in whatever u choose to do.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The best thing to do is simply wait and see if you get into HBS. They might make your HBS/Wharton decision quite an easy one :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Janus wrote:
The best thing to do is simply wait and see if you get into HBS. They might make your HBS/Wharton decision quite an easy one :wink:

I know, I know. However, I do think it is fair to assume that there is a 60% chance that I get into HBS (the admit rate post-interview). And, my HBS application and interview were stronger than Kellogg and Wharton. So, more likely than not to get in.

Probably over-thinking this and should wait to see what April 6th brings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
DecisionTime wrote:
Janus wrote:

I know, I know. However, I do think it is fair to assume that there is a 60% chance that I get into HBS (the admit rate post-interview). And, my HBS application and interview were stronger than Kellogg and Wharton. So, more likely than not to get in.

Probably over-thinking this and should wait to see what April 6th brings.

Definitely just wait and see. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's too hard to extrapolate the success of getting into other schools with that of getting into HBS given that they are so focused on determining if you're an interesting addition to the classroom case discussion. Sounds like you're a stellar candidate though (and congrats on your achievements btw) so here's hoping that they make things interesting for you! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Wharton, HBS
Send PM
Kudos
Magellan wrote:
Any idea on when is HBS Rd2 admit WE?

The weekend of April 23rd.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So how does decision day work?

Is it at the stroke of midnight as april 5 becomes april 6? or 12 noon? or 5pm? or some completely random time? All at once or piecemeal?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Janus wrote:
So how does decision day work?

Is it at the stroke of midnight as april 5 becomes april 6? or 12 noon? or 5pm? or some completely random time? All at once or piecemeal?

My interviewer said it would be out at around 12 noon Boston time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ahh, well then for better or for worse, we applicants in India can expect to learn of our HBS fate on April 6 after all! (albeit at the very end of it)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepeneur, General Consulting
Schools:Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.01
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Send PM
Questions on the essays:

For the short essays, question 1 (topic: What would you like the MBA admissions board to know about your undergraduate experience?)... i have a few ways I could go with that. I believe they want you to talk how your undergraduate experience, specific to your situation/major/institution/goals/etc, helped you develop. However, I could also see it used to explain your transcript/academic history as well.

I have a couple bad grades and a few semesters in a row where personal issues killed my grades... I was wondering if this was a good place to talk about them, or if I should use the 'additional information' area to do that (which is what I did on most other applications).

Also... any advice on doing a cover letter (question 4 of the same section)? I haven't done a real cover lette rin... well... a long time (maybe ever). But it seems like that might be one of the better questions to go after. Any advice on how to format, writing styles/perspective, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  65   66   67   68   69   70   71  ...  79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts