Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Switching into PE/VC? [#permalink]
I'm a 3rd year analyst at a start-up PE fund with 2 yrs BB IB experience. I know my chances are slim for mega fund post-MBA (even if i get into H/S/W), I'm wondering if I should go back to IB or should I get some MC experience if I plan to enter a mega fund a few years down the road? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
amberstone wrote:
I'm a 3rd year analyst at a start-up PE fund with 2 yrs BB IB experience. I know my chances are slim for mega fund post-MBA (even if i get into H/S/W), I'm wondering if I should go back to IB or should I get some MC experience if I plan to enter a mega fund a few years down the road? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

How would MC increase your chances over the experience you already have? (Honest question)

I mentioned somewhere else that I saw a ton of Bain Capital online bios with MC background (often Bain). Wasn't sure if that was just some home-field advantage or if they really value MC experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Which PE and VC firms are the most sought after, among students at top MBA programs? I assume blackstone, carlyle, and cerberus are on that list.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Arbitrageur wrote:
Which PE and VC firms are the most sought after, among students at top MBA programs? I assume blackstone, carlyle, and cerberus are on that list.

Ones that will employ you normally serves to be enough.

amberstone - it may be more beneficial for you to work your network to find out on this. I am aware of a number of Strategic Consultants that make the jump, but as a whole of the population I am not sure how great that number is.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:

Ones that will employ you normally serves to be enough.

Do other career switchers here feel the bolded statement is applicable to you? Are you willing to work at any PE shop in order to be part of the industry? If not, do you think that means it's something you're not truly passionate about as a profession?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
I'm interested in the industry long term (short term goal is IB). I would want to work for a reputable firm but not necessarily a large cap/mega fund. I think that I'd have better learning opportunities at an established firm that has raised a couple of funds, successfully exited a handful of portfolio companies, etc. Versus a fund that was just raised, hasn't built a track record yet, etc. However I wouldn't be quite so picky as far as assets under mgmt goes.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurial Management, General Management
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hello everyone.

I would appreciate anyone's feedback regarding a VC/PE internship. IF one, without prior financial industry experience, was able to secure an unpaid VC/PE internship prior to b-school do you believe it would increase one's chances to obtain a summer internship or job a year out? (Please suspend disbelief)

I'm interested to learn more about the industry as the challenge of valuating, growing, or rebuilding companies is very intriguing. If in an ideal world you had an option for either VC or PE to internship in, as a career switcher, which would you choose and why?

Thanks for your input as I am a curious optimist eager to learn more about both industries.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I know this was touched on in page 3, but does anyone else have knowledge of people who went from law to PE? Or even how PE lawyers would generally be viewed as a potential employee at a fund?

For a career switcher, it seems that if you could land a job at a top law firm doing PE work, you'd be in at least as good of a position to make the jump as you would be at a top bank. My basis for this is that I would think lawyers get quite a bit of the "deal experience" as well as a fair amount of exposure to the technical side of the deals, though this would be much more from a legal standpoint than a numbers/modeling one.

I know this really doesn't interest anyone who isn't considering a joint degree, but though some with PE experience could chime in if they have any general impressions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
curiousapplicant wrote:
Hello everyone.

I would appreciate anyone's feedback regarding a VC/PE internship. IF one, without prior financial industry experience, was able to secure an unpaid VC/PE internship prior to b-school do you believe it would increase one's chances to obtain a summer internship or job a year out? (Please suspend disbelief)

I'm interested to learn more about the industry as the challenge of valuating, growing, or rebuilding companies is very intriguing. If in an ideal world you had an option for either VC or PE to internship in, as a career switcher, which would you choose and why?

Thanks for your input as I am a curious optimist eager to learn more about both industries.

I know a guy that worked part time, summer internship and three full semesters at a midmarket PE shop. All Pro Bono, should we say.

He got a job.

I doubt doing less would work. Without the background that suits, PE is a slog. VC has more backgrounds that work. If you want to learn about valuation, rebuilding and growing firms, go into an IB - restructuring perhaps, though that is quietening down - and then maybe move later. Much easier, more probable and established.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
curiousapplicant wrote:
If in an ideal world you had an option for either VC or PE to internship in, as a career switcher, which would you choose and why?

Wouldn't mind hearing others inputs on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
That was seriously funny! And it all sounds true!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools:Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
GMAT 2: 720
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Send PM
My outside in view from a lot of MC friends who either went to IB/PE/B-school @ H is that PE = Dollars and a lot of respect for MC/IB.

VC respects Startup experience or product management experience a lot more than IB/MC

I'm looking to go VC only (and not PE unless it's the internal consulting group @ Carlyle / Blackstone) in my "ideal" world.
Let's see how the apps and THEN the damn applications for jobs pan out.
Cheers

jbharris88 wrote:
curiousapplicant wrote:
If in an ideal world you had an option for either VC or PE to internship in, as a career switcher, which would you choose and why?

Wouldn't mind hearing others inputs on this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
If anyone is interested in reading up on the PE/VC industry, you should check out the case notes that Tuck puts up online. I took the PE class and the notes were excellent, very indepth.

https://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pecenter/research/case_studies.html

RF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
refurb wrote:
If anyone is interested in reading up on the PE/VC industry, you should check out the case notes that Tuck puts up online. I took the PE class and the notes were excellent, very indepth.

RF

Wow refurb, thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Great thread. +1 agold
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
Very interesting tread.

What about the international PE offices ? Having lived in country where, let's say, Carlyle has a office, would it make easier to land into a job ?

I understand that the language and culture would be major hurdles for someone who does not speak the local language, even with a H/S/W + Ivy League degree. The due-dilliengences, local negotiations, etc., may play a big role as well as the valuation modeling.

I read a bit about the top American and Euro PE firms and it seems that they are expanding their international presence to compensate for the current US & Europe economic downturn.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
This thread is rather sobering for a career switcher like myself however it does match with what I have read on another forum.

I'm active duty military right now and had hoped to leverage an MBA into PE. I think prior military service is a plus for getting into a H/W/S and a plus for many companies but definitely not for PE. I had thought originally that it might be good to do a few years as an I-Banking Associate then switch to PE but from what I've been able to find it sounds like your switching opportunities are really limited to pre-MBA analyst or VP/MD level and not much in between. A lot will depending on where I get into school I suppose but I may need to re-evaluated my career plans.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5