Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Should I stay or should I go?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Should I stay or should I go now? [#permalink]
While I understand the concern about the 1 year part of staying in a job, there is enough in the Economy right now that I think 2009 MBA's have a pass, as do 2008. Jobs were lost, jobs were taken to have income rather than a career, and a lot of things have taken place that mean you might choose to move early.

I think that so long as you think you could commit two years to the DC job that there will not be much issue. Knowing the path that you are taking, I think the industry you are moving too would be more pleased that you saw the light sooner rather than later, because they are self important like that.

I reckon this move sounds right for you. The interview questions were such a geek out and you liked them, so it sounds like a good fit for a career. Obviously, 'working' from home is cool, a commute isn't that bad if it isn't all the time and the family thing is a big deal.

The alum thing is weird - sometimes being the Alum in a minority by location or by career path makes it more fun. Also, you are more likely to get to interview candidates if you are out in DC, which surely will be fun.

Finally, I can meet you for beers some point for the first time in three years if you are in DC, cos I never make it to Chicago for some reason.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Interestingly enough, I just got a link to this in my RSS feeder https://thisisindexed.com/2010/04/laptop ... and-happy/, so clearly you should choose the shorter commute :).

But really, it sounds like you already know where you want to go...plus being near family is always nice, especially ones that provide free baby sitting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Kudos
DC, the job and opps just sound better. Yes, traffic is terrible and its expensive but you'll figure it out. I lived there before bschool so if you want advice on housing, the area etc let me know.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I wouldn't worry about the 1year at a job thing. As 3underscore said, companies realize the market sucked and lots of people took what they could get without any real long term passions, mainly to have a paycheck to pay off debt and to live off. As long as you last 3+ years at this company no one will notice...especially since I am sure you can make an easy arguement why you left. Before switching I would definitely try to talk to people who are at the company or were there in the past. The grass isn't always greener.

Also is the DC job something you want a lot or is it something that is just better than what you have. Would you be better off sticking around and continuing to find what would be your ideal position?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
3underscore wrote:

Finally, I can meet you for beers some point for the first time in three years if you are in DC, cos I never make it to Chicago for some reason.

Well in that case.... :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
riverripper wrote:
Also is the DC job something you want a lot or is it something that is just better than what you have. Would you be better off sticking around and continuing to find what would be your ideal position?

I'd say its 98% of what I would want. It's 100% the right industry, and perhaps 95% the right company (perhaps would be slightly more interesting at a larger more diversified institution that might have more global reach), functionally its a 100% fit - strategy, product mgmt/development and ownership, from a responsibility standpoint, its at least 100% of my goals and over 100% on pay/income (exceeds my goals), from a geography standpoint its 95% of what I want (a target city) - I'd just prefer if the office was in DC proper as opposed to just outside (think more like office park), but again, thats being pretty picky.

You know, when I write it out like this, what am I even debating?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
DC wins, easily...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
If you go there'll be trouble and if you stay it will be double. This indecision's bugging me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I'd say its 98% of what I would want. It's 100% the right industry, and perhaps 95% the right company (perhaps would be slightly more interesting at a larger more diversified institution that might have more global reach), functionally its a 100% fit - strategy, product mgmt/development and ownership, from a responsibility standpoint, its at least 100% of my goals and over 100% on pay/income (exceeds my goals), from a geography standpoint its 95% of what I want (a target city) - I'd just prefer if the office was in DC proper as opposed to just outside (think more like office park), but again, thats being pretty picky.

rhyme, exactly... reading this post you have to go DC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Despite traffic and high costs, it sounds like that DC job has more potential to make you and you family happy in the long term. Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
sounds like a good position for you and you have great personal reasons to come, my only reservation is make sure it's a company you see yourself growing with as DC is somewhat crappy for MBA's (IMO). everyone i know here with a top MBA is at a consulting firm (with mainly govt clients...blech) or they went into the govt/non-profit/legal/lobbying field. i don't see DC as a place i would come back to in the building phase of my career.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Definitely go to DC--the family, the job, the weather...I dont even think there is a debate. (Of course I am biased b/c I am originally from the area)

Is the job in the McLean/Tysons Corner area? Honestly, its probably better that it is not in DC proper for commuting purposes and McLean has great neighborhoods for families with AWESOME public schools.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I voted in support of what sounds like your gut instinct (DC). You have good judgement, so I don't think there's any reason to doubt yourself now. You wouldn't have interviewed with the company if you didn't want to be there.

Fill me in later.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
dcdevil wrote:
Is the job in the McLean/Tysons Corner area? Honestly, its probably better that it is not in DC proper for commuting purposes and McLean has great neighborhoods for families with AWESOME public schools.

Yup thats the area.....I know about the schools, it what makes McLean so expensive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Do I really have to come to DC for drinks :wink:

As an aside, any location is OK as long as you keep posting on GMATclub :)

Unplugged

PS:- After reading your post I thought you've already made up your mind.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
sounds like a good position for you and you have great personal reasons to come, my only reservation is make sure it's a company you see yourself growing with as DC is somewhat crappy for MBA's (IMO). everyone i know here with a top MBA is at a consulting firm (with mainly govt clients...blech) or they went into the govt/non-profit/legal/lobbying field. i don't see DC as a place i would come back to in the building phase of my career.

That's generally true and a very good point. Booz, Accenture, World Bank, IFC, AES and Hilton come to mind as typical post-MBA destinations. I'll have to noodle on that for a bit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
unplugged wrote:
PS:- After reading your post I thought you've already made up your mind.

I tried to keep it unbiased and truly list all the pro's and con's I could think of, but I'm obviously leaning towards doing it. It's just a big decision and not an easy one. I've been in Chicago for over 10 years now and I'm comfortable here.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2