Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Sandy,

Thoughts on the latest USN rankings?

Wharton at #5 - blip or sign of a real change atop the rankings?

SURPRISING ALTHO NOT UNPRECEDENTED (Wharton has dropped out of top 3 before).

The acid test for me is how many kids w. admits to W, MIT, Kellogg or Chi are NOT choosing Wharton.

I'd say not many but more than in previous years by some small but undefinable amnt.

The analyiss of this on the Wharton Fall From Grace thread and USNEWS rankings thread on this Forum cover a lot of clever angles, but consensus view is that what hit Wharton this year was %employed at grad and 3 month post grad (using last year's data!) and thus it was getting slammed b.c. finance (IB/PE etc) hiring was down. That makes some sense, and would also account for the fact that starting salaries were down (quite a bit compared to other schools).

Sooooooo, whether those key stats were recession related, and should uptick next year b.c. market is better, we shall see. Wharton historically had trouble w. the employed at grad and 3 months pst grad stats (even in good times) b.c. kids often held out for dream job in finance rather than take switch careers, and often won their bets. If there was category, employed 6 months post grad, I think W. might tick up in rankings. All that said, fr. numbers in USNEWS report and from just what I hear, last year was really tuff at Wharton, job wise. One issue is did adcom start changing focus just a bit away fr. finance to accept a more 'diverse' class in terms of careers? And hence lower salaries result? Dunno.

The Wharton results cannot be hand-waived away, if there is a total contraction in finance jobs over next x years as a result of some new order resulting fr. legislation/Obama/lack-of-liquidity blah blah, that would be serious for all schools, but esp. Wharton. If all this jive talk about financial reform etc. goes out the window, and DOW keeps going up, and somehow economy turns around, and everyone goes back to the punch bowl again and happy days are here again, well, that would be most happily for Wharton. Predicting that, as our president once said in similar situation, is above my pay grade.

Any current Wharton 2yrs care to check in w. some reliable gossip about how hard it was --or not--to get a finance job this year???

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Has anyone got Round 3 interview notification yet?
Waiting for it...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Received invite on 9:04AM via email from "HBS MBA Admissions"
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]

HBS ROUND 3 INTERVIEW TIMES AND DATES
fyi--this looks like 150 invites for the final 80 admits and mabye another 20-30 odballs off WL

Quote:

[April 16th, 2010]

Dear Round 3 Sucker

Warm greetings from Harvard Business School!

After careful consideration of your application materials, we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview with a member of our MBA Admissions Board. We look forward to the opportunity to get to know you better through our interview process.

We use an online scheduling system to manage our interview process. Since we know that many of our interviewees expect to travel to either our campus in Boston or one of our global hub cities for their interview, we are sending this message in advance so that you are aware of where our Admissions Board members will be traveling and when. We hope this advance notice is helpful to you as you plan for your interview.

We will have interview slots available in the following locations:

Boston (on the HBS campus): May 3-6
London: April 30
Menlo Park: May 3 and 4

You will receive another email from HBS MBA Admissions at noon on Monday, April 19 with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to select a specific interview slot at that time. Please note that all of our interview slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. In the past, our interview slots have filled very quickly, so we encourage you to be prompt in selecting your slot.

Again, we hope this advance notice is helpful to you. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Business School, and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Sincerely yours,
MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field Road
Dillon House
Boston, MA 02163
Quote:
Thanks Sandy.

What do you think is the acceptance rate (from interview -> offer) for seniors? Also, what type of offer could we get? I guess, I'm wondering whether adcom give us the opportunity to defer or basically limits the offer to the deferral?

hmmmmm, senior accpet rate is prob ~60 pct like everyone else. Dunno, last year, according to HBS data, ONE SENIOR enrolled directly and like 40 or so got two year deferral. I'm not sure about how that gets discussed in interviews, but it helps to assume you will deferring and present a plan for what you plan to do for the two years.

Kudos
JDMBA wrote:
Sandy,

Have you ever heard of a student that was dinged by HBS appeal the decision with success? Friends of mine did this for undergrad and got in (after they were dinged). I'm at HLS now and didnt get into HBS, w/o interview (for the second time). Needless to say I am determined to get in and overcome the low-tier undergrad, non-traditional-HBS resume stigma that HBS seems to have placed on my applications. Thoughts?

-JD[strike]MBA[/strike]

NO--what happens is if you actually have any bigfoot in your camp, e.g. big donor, or more likely, PISSED OFF guy at your firm (which hires lotsa HBS kids, viz. Bain Cap, McKinsey, TPG, etc.) who is able to call Dee or Dean Light, they arrange for you to get 'feedback' w. adcom, which does not say anything much (in most cases) but is a signal that if you reapply, you will prob. get in. I've seen that happen dozens of times. What I have never seen at HBS (have seen at Wharton) is a DING being reversed by a phone call. And I've been privy 2nd-hand to some POWERFUL PHONE CALLS, they never Un-Ding you, they just set you up for admission next year.
As to you, which no offense, well your status is just Schmuck -HLS -Burn-Out , a status that includes about 15 percent of the class over at HLS who have quickly discovered 1. Law sucks; 2. There are damn few jobs. HBS was innundated w. HLS apps this year, and not many made it through. Your status next year, as either 3L or dopey grad at the Federal Bean Counting Bureau, where you will be on some Kafka-like assembly-line double-checking mortgage tranches put together by Fab and NYU-HBS grad Mr. Paulson, well, it is even LESS inviting. Sorry, but my advice is just castrate yourself, get a funny hobby, and vow in the next life not to be a lawyer, this life is over, friend. The Boat has Sailed.

Kudos
Penn State B School, among others, buy plagiarism checker for app. essays.
Quote:
April 8, 2010
THE NEW YORK TIMES
Exactly How Personal Is That Personal Statement?
Talk about chutzpah. The admissions director for Penn State’s M.B.A. program, Carrie Marcinkevage, recalls that the school once received a student essay with three of four paragraphs taken directly from an article online. “It was, ironically, in our ‘Principled Leadership’ admissions essay,” she says.

Turnitin, a company that exposes cut-and-paste malfeasance in term papers, is introducing a system to detect plagiarism on applications, and Penn State’s M.B.A. program is the first to sign up.

To demonstrate the program’s effectiveness, Turnitin conducted a test involving 450,000 applicants’ personal statements in an unnamed English-speaking country (not ours) and in January announced that it had found 70,000 “significant matches” with other material. Familiar phrases like, “I’m an ideal candidate for your college because …” won’t activate the alert, but if the rest of that sentence closely tracks someone else’s words, you’d be busted.

“We would call 15 percent of a personal statement matching other documents suspicious,” says Jeff Lorton, the company’s product and business development manager. According to a Turnitin data crunch, the odds of writing the same 16 words in the same order (not including and, of, a, the) by chance are one in a trillion.

The system looks for patterns in language more than identical words. So if you write “the system seeks patterns in language more than the exact same words,” you’d also be busted. Admissions offices will get a side-by-side comparison from which to make a final call: is it or isn’t it?

“Students applying to competitive colleges often have up to 15 different admission essays,” says Daniel Stern, founder of the Web-based College Essay Organizer. “When they confront the reality close to deadlines and feel so overwhelmed they don’t know where to start, they panic.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/education/edlife/18turnitin-t.html?sq=turnitin&st=cse&scp=1&pagewanted=print
HBS ROUND 3 INTERVIEW SPECULATIONS.
Quote:
Sandy,

R3 Interviews: MP (10 slots, 8 filled), Boston (58 slots, 46 filled), London (6 slots, 3 filled). Looks like around 70 slots slots and only 60 kids.

Does this mean anything regarding our admit chances since it's far less than you expected with ~150 invites or an indication of high enrollment rate/few spots remain? Or...do you just expect more interviews to come out soon?

thanks, it's hard to predict numbers fr. even with the use of official sign up, b.c. they often take stuff down, or add stuf, or arragnge interviews at HBS sort of off the menu, but it looks like, in general, you are right, total number of R3 interviews seems less than 150 and more like 70-80, and a lot of those 58 campus slots could be College seniors. Anyway, it does not, I think, impact admit chances, same general 60 pct odds, no reason for them to change that.
I don't think there will be another wave of R3 interviews,*** what there might be is some interviews of kids on WL who have not been interviewed. Altho I'm just speculating and dont mean to dash any R3 hopes. In prior announcements of invite send dates, HRH NOTES quite specifically that "more invites will dribble out..." etc. while below, sounds definitive, and given the small numbers, etc. it makes sense.

***Thisis what her majesty said about R3 interviews on her blog on April 9th, you can quibble if this means WE WILL BE SENDING OUT ALL ROUND 3 INTERIVEWS on April 16th, or 'we will beginning to send out Round 3 invites, etc. etc.

Quote:
Round 3 Interviews
Date: April 09, 2010

We'll be sending these out on Friday, April 16th via email. The email will come from MBA Admissions, and you'll be able to register for an interview slot beginning Monday, April 19th. Most interviews will take place from May 3-6th. We will be conducting round 3 interviews here on campus and in London and Palo Alto.
Quote:
Boston (58 slots, [strike]46[/strike]filled),

AHEM, A DIFFERENT BEAN COUNTER FRIEND MAKES THAT 47.

(GIVEN THE SMALL UNIVERSE OF ROUND 3 INTERVIEW INVITES, I SEEM TO KNOW A GOOD MANY OF THEM. :wink: )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I too was invited for a 3rd round HBS interview. I'm a Boston resident so it will be pretty easy attend. Do you think this may have effected the decision? I've heard that 3rd round acceptances tend to be local. (Hopefully)

I'm puzzled and curious about why the number of interviews is lower than prior years. I guess I should feel lucky to have gotten one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
JnJThenMBA wrote:

I too was invited for a 3rd round HBS interview. I'm a Boston resident so it will be pretty easy attend. Do you think this may have effected the decision? I've heard that 3rd round acceptances tend to be local. (Hopefully)

I'm puzzled and curious about why the number of interviews is lower than prior years. I guess I should feel lucky to have gotten one.

I'm a lurker too. I am R3 Wharton, HBS and Stanford. I live in Philly and got a R3 invite from Wharton. Nothing from HBS. I don't think Stanford has started sending out invites. So I do think location matters. If you live in the same area that the school is in or have ties to the area i.e. a former resident, your parents or inlaws live there I can't imagine that not being an advantage everything else being equal.

I called Dillon House and they said "most" R3 invites have been sent out. So there is still hope. But I think for me to get an invite it'll have to be after May 6 when all the others are done and perhaps someone completely bombed like Steve Carrell in "Anchorman". Otherwise it is an extremely long shot for me now with HBS.

One question though for hbsguru: if 40 of the 60 R3 boston invites are Harvard seniors and most of them defer what then? Do they send out 40 more invites or some number less than that because WLers get a spot?
JnJThenMBA wrote:

Hmmmm, I dont think living in Boston affected invite, living in Boston can make a diff. in last 2 or 3 Wl calls, as living in Palo Alto can w. Stanford WL (Stanford has admitted this in last year's final WL letters). I recall one year when last kid taken off HBS WL was already here b.c. his wife was attending Harvard Med School, so like why not. I do think internationals may be under a subtle disadvantage in R3, and I would not be surprised if kids taking those London interviews are actually Americans working in Europe, but, duh, with 3, anything could be true. As to how come less R3 invites this year than last year (I think), dunno, trend has been to encourage apps in R1+2, and 2+2 program has cut in, to some degree, to number of seniors applying.
You may or may not recall,that last year at this time, Bolton at Stanford was advertsing and ecouraging R3 apps. As to chances, dunno, dude, both H and S have BIG and TALENTED WAIT LISTS, and both schools are getting hit w. phone calls fr. big shots to get kids off of those WL's, soooooooooooooooo, I'm going to leave chances of admit for r3 interview applicants at sorta ~59 pct where it trad. is (post interview, I dont have break out as to R3 interview results, altho that could be real, real interesting stat).
zuleron wrote:
JnJThenMBA wrote:
I called Dillon House and they said "most" R3 invites have been sent out. So there is still hope.
. . .
One question though for hbsguru: if 40 of the 60 R3 boston invites are Harvard seniors and most of them defer what then? Do they send out 40 more invites or some number less than that because WLers get a spot?

Some kid on BW forum (you???) also said he called HBS about R3 invites, and was given same sort of answer, like 'most' invites have been sent out. Well, HBS rarely says officially that ALL of anything has happened, as far as they are concerned, admits to class of 1965 is still open, you can never tell......but what they mean is that someone in R3 could produce a bigfoot, or that they may find an app. in Dee's Hobo Bag, like at the bottom, under her walk-around Ferragamo flats, etc.
As to those 40 or however many college seniors they decide to take (and remember, some of those kids were already accepted in R2), my guess is, they have already baked in the fact that the vast majority of them will take 2-yr deferment, so having 40 openings will not come as surprise. What would come as surprise is if many of those of 3rd round college seniors, during interview, said, "Oh no man, I'm good to go, like in September, let's do this!!!!!"
Women at HBS (and chart w. other B schools) MORE @HBS but not a straight line (class of 2010-38%, class of 2011-36%) https://bit.ly/cmKKlE
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
As to those 40 or however many college seniors they decide to take (and remember, some of those kids were already accepted in R2), my guess is, they have already baked in the fact that the vast majority of them will take 2-yr deferment, so having 40 openings will not come as surprise. What would come as surprise is if many of those of 3rd round college seniors, during interview, said, "Oh no man, I'm good to go, like in September, let's do this!!!!!"

So basically those 40 spots are reserved for friends and family of high-rollers or Hail Mary applications... perhaps "Hail Dee" applications is more accurate...

Oh well, I think my app is a niche app and so if they didn't see a place for me the first time they looked at it, it probably won't happen. But as Samwise told Frodo... there is always hope.
Kudos
zuleron wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

So basically those 40 spots are reserved for friends and family of high-rollers or Hail Mary applications... perhaps "Hail Dee" applications is more accurate...

[color=#4000FF]My point was, there are NO 40 slots of college seniors, HBS expects most college seniors to take two years off. those so-called 40 slots were distributed over the whole app pool, that mostly clear blue + shimmering +heart shaped oasis (with some scum and dead leaves and suntan lotion and grand-child PP) in Dee's backyard.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepeneur, General Consulting
Schools:Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.01
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Send PM
Submitted R4, no real expectations but figured why not. Sounds like there wont' be any slots left anyway (which the application website did warn about).

Congrats to everyone who got in :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts