Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross (R2), Fuqua (R2), Sloan (R2), LBS (R2)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Ross (R2), Fuqua (R2), Sloan (R2), LBS (R2)
Send PM
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink]
Hi all. I am an international student and planning to go to the Peru M-Trek. Which means I will go to AA first then out of the US again. The processing time to get an updated I-20 before leaving the US for a trip is 5 days.

Does that mean that I need to arrive 5 days before the M-trek?
Would anyone know if the consulates would cancel B1/B2 visa after giving my f-1 visa?
If not, could I use my B1/B2 visa for my first entry?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Does anyone know what kind of placement Ross has for social venture funds? In the admit binder, there's a big picture of someone who MAP'd/interned at Acumen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
That's a very small, very specific field. Like you mentioned there have been people at Acumen in the past. I also know one (or maybe two) people will be at REDF this summer. Other than that I'm not sure. I know one of the guys heavily involved in the social venture fund, but I can't remember if his internship was in a VC or social venture fund.....I think if you're interested it's certainly possible, it's just not something that many people at Ross (or anywhere) actively pursue.
Current Student
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
That's a very small, very specific field. Like you mentioned there have been people at Acumen in the past. I also know one (or maybe two) people will be at REDF this summer. Other than that I'm not sure. I know one of the guys heavily involved in the social venture fund, but I can't remember if his internship was in a VC or social venture fund.....I think if you're interested it's certainly possible, it's just not something that many people at Ross (or anywhere) actively pursue.

Thank you for the info. I was thinking of exploring this option for my MAP or internship. Looking to gain some more entrepreneurial/international experience. If I can find one that does international development in sustainable tech/energy, that would be perfect!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Have any admits received new scholarships from Ross in the past few weeks?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [2]
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of placement Ross has for social venture funds? In the admit binder, there's a big picture of someone who MAP'd/interned at Acumen.

Impact investing is an emerging and exciting field - and one that does require a bit of self-directed career searching since these types of companies and organizations are fairly small. They do take interns and if you're really interested and committed to the career search, it's totally possible to find an internship and possibly a full-time job. Ross has a decent connection to Acumen. One of the Social Venture Fund's advisers is Brian Trelstad, Michigan alum and Chief Investment Officer at Acumen.

I'm a part of the Social Venture Fund and know students who've done a MAP with Acumen and others who've had internships related to impact investing and social enterprise development. There's Ross students who are part of Investors Circle, who attend the SOCAP conference, and other social impact related conferences.

Clean tech and impact investing overlap somewhat in impact investing but I would say they are totally different realms. There were plenty of MAPs this year related to clean tech and environmental sustainability - from start-ups to large companies - as well as with non-profits focusing more on social impact. There's also opportunity to get this experience via clubs and extra-currics, including the Emerging Markets Club, Community Consulting Club, business plan competitions... And the engineering school is a great place to look as well, including the BLUE Lab.

I've got lots more I could share, so feel free to PM me with additional questions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
I'm going to be in Ann Arbor on Friday looking at apartments. I'm looking at 1BR and efficiencies around 10~15 min walk from school. Does anyone have any feedback/opinion on some of the rental companies like Issa and Arch Realty? I'm looking at properties around 121 E Hoover, Packard, South State and Liberty St.

Cheers!
Current Student
Send PM
Hey, quick question for you guys. So there's a local admitted Ross student get-together coming up. It's organized by students, not by the school, but I think a few alumni are coming, too. What's the dress code for something like this? It's at a restaurant/bar. I don't really feel like dressing up in dress pants/shirt, or have the time to, since I'm going there straight after work. Is it appropriate to go in jeans & collared sleeveless shirt? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
milias wrote:
Hey, quick question for you guys. So there's a local admitted Ross student get-together coming up. It's organized by students, not by the school, but I think a few alumni are coming, too. What's the dress code for something like this? It's at a restaurant/bar. I don't really feel like dressing up in dress pants/shirt, or have the time to, since I'm going there straight after work. Is it appropriate to go in jeans & collared sleeveless shirt? Thanks.

I think that's fine. As long as it fits for the restaurant/bar you're going to, don't worry about it. Social gatherings like that are meant to be casual. If it's more bus casual to formal, others would specify or would be sponsored by the school or a company.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
So guys, let's do updates! How's everyone doing? Where are you (if you are) M-Trekking? Milias, are you for sure yet? Where are you living in Ann Arbor? You guys still working? What are your summers looking like? Anyone coming through Chicago?
Current Student
Send PM
theoutlawfades wrote:
I think that's fine. As long as it fits for the restaurant/bar you're going to, don't worry about it. Social gatherings like that are meant to be casual. If it's more bus casual to formal, others would specify or would be sponsored by the school or a company.

Thanks. I ended up going in jeans and a collared shirt, which turned out to be fine.

conmisdosmanos wrote:
So guys, let's do updates! How's everyone doing? Where are you (if you are) M-Trekking? Milias, are you for sure yet? Where are you living in Ann Arbor? You guys still working? What are your summers looking like? Anyone coming through Chicago?

I'm doing good. I'm definitely coming to Ross. The M-Trek thing is a little messed up for me. Kinda my own fault, b/c I registered so late, since I was waiting on CBS. All my top choices were full (South Africa, Norway, Iceland, and Belize), so they stuck me to Bangkok, which is being canceled. Just my luck. So I'm staying on the Bangkok list, until they figure out a new destination. Then I'll be deciding whether I'll go to that one or get on the waitlist for my preferred treks.

Planning to go to the Ross Rendezvous in June for some apartment-hunting. Still need to get my tickets and get the day off from my summer internship sponsor. I'm also in the process of moving to a summer sublet, since my current lease's up at the end of the month. So yea, things are a bit hectic/crazy right now.

I so could use a vacation right about now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
anu1979 wrote:
1) I met milias (nice meeting you by the way, dude)! Indeed, he was wearing a collared shirt and jeans that was wholly appropriate for the occasion.

Yup, I finally met a GMAT Clubber in person! It was very nice meeting you, too, Anu.

anu1979 wrote:
2) I got my apartment at GBR and now I feel really lucky because I seem to be paying significantly less for a reasonably close location (1 mile), amenities (dishwasher, ac, garbage disposal) and an aesthetically pleasing apartment (alas, I got the last one). However, since I have decided to join the Ross gym and I don't want to trudge to school like an overburdened sherpa, I am on the lookout for a parking spot. I was about to buy one but then the dude started getting non-responsive, which makes me think he wants a longer tenant than September to April.

Dishwasher! Drool.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:

There's a bunch of Rossers in Chicago this summer (including me) and a few signed up to lead cafe chats. We can organize a get together, even if it's just a few of us.

Get excited about MTrek!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Ok, I'll do my own:

- I'm great! Although totally overwhelmed: 12 work days left to train my replacement, supposed to register for classes (SNRE) June 1, don't entirely understand financial aid, and haven't had a minute of time to even look at craigslist, let alone drive to A2 to check out housing. Soon! 3 weeks! ALthough summer is always so busy I don't even notice it happening... hopefully this time off work will allow me a little beach-sitting.

- Not doing an MTrek. Going to Ireland with family mid-June, then for an extended hiking trip in the Rockies in August. I'd love to do Costa Rica, Anu. I got the Kayak app for my phone so I can constantly re-check fares.

- Yay, Milias!

- Also Yay for Chicago! We should definitely meet up. The Chicago Google group is super active, too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I'll also do one of mine as a recent admit to Ross. Decided to turn down my Darden offer :| because Ross places marginally better in MC and the location (midwest) is appealing as I'd prefer to work in one of the MPLS offices of M/B (Bain has no MPLS office, whats up with that?).

One more month of work which means only one more month spending Monday mornings and Thursday nights in airport terminals! Can't wait to spend two months golfing, doing weekday happy hours with my friends (novel concept, being at home with friends and family), boating and enjoying the beautiful Target Field that popped up 6 blocks from my apartment.

Found a room mate and sent in our applications for a place on S. State about a 10 minute walk from Ross. Furnished, electricity, gas, parking included in rent which should only be about $600/person which isn't too bad. Haven't seen the place so this makes me a little nervous but will check it out during Ross Rendezvous.

Not doing an M-Trek as I found out I was admitted the day before the due date but that's ok, I want to spend some additional time with the girlfriend before moving away from her for two years.

Got my financial aid award notice yesterday and fortunately qualified for all the subsidized loans and will also be doing Grad Plus. Anyone know if we need to submit the additional paperwork for the Grad Plus that is on the Financial Aid website? Signed the Promissory Notes for both and obviously already submitted my FAFSA, is that all I needed?

If anyone else is a fellow Big 10 undergrad (not from Michigan) how do you plan on making Saturdays work? I'm thinking I'll probably just wear anti-opponent garb (Except when playing the Badgers) rather than any Michigan stuff because the thought of wearing Maize and Blue makes me a little ill and would definitely betray any college friendships.

Either way, can't be more excited!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
I have one more month left at work so I am racking up as many hotel/skymiles as possible... I am living in a 1 BR about 2 blocks south of Ross on Prospect St. which makes it easier for me to wake up and head to class. I'm planning on joining the Ross gym because of its convenience....

I'm going to be travelling to India and Oman for the next few months till school begins and then head to Norway for the M-Trek in August...

ACNguy... I went to Purdue so am a little torn about who to support but I think I am going to go Michigan all the way during Fall and Purdue during Basketball season :P
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts