Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [380]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Math Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Plan B.

You only need the "foundations" books if you are very rusty with math/verbal.
For your plan, since you will be using MGMAT Guides, would suggest you get the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT math (fits in better and has fewer typos)

For verbal, Kaplan Verbal Foundations is grammar only - helpful if you are international but may be boring if you are very familiar with grammar/english.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS
Send PM
DAYNE wrote:
what books do you guys suggest for dating sufficiency

GMAT Data Sufficiency Prep Course - This is the only pure DS book out there. I have gone through it and am not convinced.

To BB or anyone else:

Can you please comment on the Quant Workbooks from Veritas? I have read some debriefs where people mention that the questions were the closest the the real GMAT, yet I do not see them ranked in the best Quant prep material. Any reason for this?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
youven wrote:
DAYNE wrote:
what books do you guys suggest for dating sufficiency

GMAT Data Sufficiency Prep Course - This is the only pure DS book out there. I have gone through it and am not convinced.

To BB or anyone else:

Can you please comment on the Quant Workbooks from Veritas? I have read some debriefs where people mention that the questions were the closest the the real GMAT, yet I do not see them ranked in the best Quant prep material. Any reason for this?

You are talking the $450 set of books here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-materials/#fullset ?
Edit: These books are currently available for $299 or $199 at Amazon
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I bought the 2.4 Kaplan Math Foundations
I confirm all of the points listed in the description but I would also add a personal observation, I feel this book isn't meant to break the 80th-85th percentile of the quant section.

For example:
- I clearly remember I had a question with cones involved but the geometry section doesn't even mention it! (no big deal but anyway)
- I would have expected a formula of the distance of a point from a line...again missing.
- Another question I had was about a triangle whose sides were not parallel to any axes of the coordinate plane. The question was asking the area... No hint in the book about the strategy to follow (how to calculate the area of a trinagle knowing the measure of its sides).

I scored Q47 and I feel my score could improve to Q48 after reading this book (no need to say that this increase it's not statistically significant) and therefore I do not recommend this book to those who are seeking a high score in the Quant section...a total waste of money.

Hope I read this post before :lol: !

Oleg
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Also, what do you guys think about GMATHacks? The opinion seems to be split and reviews far in between. What are your takes on it? Reviews?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
RGM wrote:
Also, what do you guys think about GMATHacks? The opinion seems to be split and reviews far in between. What are your takes on it? Reviews?

I think it can boiled down to (please jump in anyone) is that:
1. Expensive
2. The extreme challenge is good
3. The 1,800 question collection is an overkill; the OG 12 and OG Quant should be sufficient;
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q36  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Do you think combining KapMath workbook with MGMAT's Number Properties and Word Translations books would work for building good understanding needed for the quant section? (that is, before beginning to work on OG).

Thank you for your time and detailed responses - its GREATLY appreciated!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
MariaS wrote:
Do you think combining KapMath workbook with MGMAT's Number Properties and Word Translations books would work for building good understanding needed for the quant section? (that is, before beginning to work on OG).

Thank you for your time and detailed responses - its GREATLY appreciated!

Yes. There are 3 options basically (from least to most effort and supposedly score):

1. Kaplan Math Workbook
2. Kaplan Math Workbook + MGMAT Number Properties and MGMAT Word Translations
3. 5 MGMAT Guides

P.S. If you have a hard time with quant you find in these books, you can also consider getting MGMAT Math Foundations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
My two cents, the Manhattan books were TREMENDOUSLY helpful. I agree with everyone else, that Word Translations and Number Properties were the most useful ones (also the thickest ones), but I got all five and the other 3 are not a waste of time to go through. Equations, geometry, and Fractions, in that order. The books are expensive, but used books are cheaper and help the environment!

Also, I didn't see it here, but the Kaplan 800 book was great too. They have some good tips and general strategies, though the organization of the book wasn't that great.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My first post:
I´m studing for the Gmat and i started some days ago with the Quant part of the test, I want to have some hope bc i´m not a english nativ speaker and in the Verbal part I really suck, i´ve failed almost the 50% of the questions.
but i did all the OG 12th edition problems of the Quant part. I want to do harder problems.
Any one can recommend me any guide book with difficult problems? Are the questions in OG Quant book in the same level of difficulty?

Thank you
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
kokey13 wrote:
I want to do harder problems.
Any one can recommend me any guide book with difficult problems? Are the questions in OG Quant book in the same level of difficulty?

The Kaplan Advanced book contains questions mostly in the 650 to 700 range. This is purely a collection of questions. Veritas Prep's Combinations & Probability guidebook also discusses advanced math topics. It has a decent amount of practice questions.

Other question sources include the GMATClub Tests and Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set. Both of these collections are very challenging.

The only other hard questions that I know of are the MGMAT Challenge Archive and Ariel Goldberg's GMAT Quant Problems. I personally didn't like the MGMAT Challenge questions. I have never used Goldberg's stuff, but at least one member found his product useful.

You can also visit the math forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Kudos
Guys...I wanted to share my experience and take on the GMAT Advanced Quant Book.

advanced-gmat-quant-from-manhattan-gmat-114166-20.html

In the thread I posted above -- I could not stop raving about the advanced quant book. I still think it's an excellent book -- but I am not too sure it's really relevant to your GMAT preparation. It's a wonderful book filled with excellent problems -- but the tone of the problems are not what you find on the real gmat.

Different perspective post exam: I took the real GMAT a couple of days ago -- scored Q50. My overall score was 760 (Q 50, V 44). I was always pretty strong in the verbal section (LSAT prep years ago and I write reports and grant proposals). But quant really scared me -- I invested a lot of time in the advanced quant book mainly because my first manhattan CAT quant did not go all that well.

Now what I realized is this (post real gmat and gmat prep practice) -- the manhattan quant questions are a lot of fun if you like solving difficult math problems. But they are not representative of the real deal. The real gmat questions are very elegant -- in that -- they are not HARD -- they are just *brilliantly* tricky. Manhattan problems take a long time to solve -- they require a lot of work. But the real gmat questions have this tone about them -- its so unique. Most of the problems on the real gmat can be cracked with a proper technique and an analytical approach -- you don't need to use fancy formulas or solve complex expressions and equations.
I am very pleased with my Q50 -- but I don't think the manhattan advanced quant guide helped me all that much. The real GMAT questions are very subtle -- they are not over powering. The best guide you can use is the GMATPrep software. Keep resetting this software and do every problem (there are plenty of problems in both the bins) on there. I could hardly complete the Manhattan quant sections -- but I completed my real gmat quant exam with 8 minutes to spare.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thanks for this post! It has been really helpful in my decision to choose my prep books. Currently finishing up MGMAT but not sure if I should purchase the advanced math book by MGMAT.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gladiator2k wrote:
Thanks for this post! It has been really helpful in my decision to choose my prep books. Currently finishing up MGMAT but not sure if I should purchase the advanced math book by MGMAT.

I am not sure either - it is intimidating in a good and a bad way.
I would recommend MGMAT Roadmap instead ( it is an easy and fast read that I think will bring more value on an hourly basis). The MGMAT Advanced Quant will only kick in at the 40+ level or higher and as number of books say, you may only see 2-3 truly hard questions on your Quan section (which means you are studying a long time to solve those 2-3 questions). I personally had only 1 hard probability question on my GMAT. The rest were tricky but straightforward.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: SAG-AFTRA, AEA
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-20-2013
WE:Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Okay so I'm at a wee bit of a loss. I have now looked at quite a few quant prep books, and own a lot of them, to ensure a top quant score. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a cohesive and uniform consensus between what I am reading here on GMAT Club and what I see when reading GMAT Club's Amazon reviews. For instance, Total GMAT Math by Jeff Stackman and Nova's GMAT Math Prep Course are rated very highly on Amazon by GMAT Club, but Nova appears nowhere on this site and Total only appears under the Self Prep - Verbal GMAT Prep tab. (weird) GMAT Club states on Amazon that Total is "The most complete GMAT Math Guide hands down", and that Nova is really geared for those who are looking for a 700+ score, stating that it is "a nice alternative to Kaplan and MGMAT" and "the best use for this book if you are aiming for a high quant score and willing to sweat for it". So what's the deal? I am aiming for a high score and willing to sweat for it and am prepping from the cobbled ashes of my jurassic math past. I have bought all of MGMAT's quant books (including Foundations and Advanced GMAT Math), have Kaplan's Math Workbook, Probability for Dummies and now I see that Total is "the most complete" and that Nova is only for those "willing to sweat for it" as if it were the Everest of GMAT Math books.

What is an ambitious GMAT rookie to do? :?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for doing such diligent research.
I have to say those reviews were written independently of each other (and some books were reviewed earlier than others so the comparison was not done per se on each book).

I would start with the MGMAT Guides - they provide a great balance of material, questions, and ease of understanding.

i would also recommend the MGMAT Math Foundations. Does this help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you for doing such diligent research.
I have to say those reviews were written independently of each other (and some books were reviewed earlier than others so the comparison was not done per se on each book).

I would start with the MGMAT Guides - they provide a great balance of material, questions, and ease of understanding.

i would also recommend the MGMAT Math Foundations. Does this help?

bb, he made a really good point. In my initial research, I too stumbled upon other books, particularly Sackmann's Total Math as highly regarded yet very seldom mentioned on here. Did you get in a fight with that guy or something? Why is it no good?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4