Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi, that's a good question. i personally have no reseach experience, but i will state my interest in a particular area for research in my SOP. i guess someone who is already a phd or knows more about the SOP can help here. i would like to know the answer to your question as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I used to think that proposing research topics was important, but after hearing, first hand, from the head of the NYU PhD program that they are NOT looking for that, I tend to think otherwise.

BTW - I have plenty of research experience, 3 years as a research assistant to one of the top scholars in finance and cowriting two papers, but, I decided not to focus on my interests in my SOP, but rather present myself, my background, experience and my career goals for the future. I did state a few areas on interest, but I also said that I do not feel compelled to any specify topic.

I hope I made the right move by doing that.

Does anybody KNOW differently? Preferably from first hand experience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
can you post a review of the phd open house @ NYU or a brief summary of you experience focusing on the main points?? what do they look for/what makes a good candidate/what is the breakdown of applicants - scores/gpa etc...those of us who do not have the opportunity to visit NYU would really appreciate it. cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sure - here's a quick summary of the session at NYU:

1. Average GMAT - 728, NO candidates with GMAT under 650 accepted.
2. GPA - evaluated on a candidate by candidate basis. Depends on school and very much on courses taken. Overall GPA less significant.
3. Age - Average age - 26-27, Do not like older candidates - claim that they are usually not interested in research.
4. Acceptance rate - 6%
7. Research experience NOT important. Mainly looking for "evidence of smarts", not for people with research experience. Most admitted students have NO research experience.
8. Academic references VERY important. There is not much help with other references (such as employer, etc.).

These are the main points I can think of - If you have further question, let me know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanx a lot roy1000, this review is going to be very helpful for everyone interested in phd at NYU and not only there. there are some very important points about the age and research experience. if i think of a specific question i'll post it later. cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NYU PhD [#permalink]
I also mailed Stern abt this and they clearly said that there is no need for expressing research interest in any specific areas. But other schools mentioned that they look for clearly defined research interests.

I m in a fix as to wht should be the standard.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is very school dependent. Most school profesors will not agree with the NYU professed interest in "smarts" and no importance to research interests. That said, the total package is important. Why do you want to do PhD? Why now ? What excites you ? What specific issue interests you ? Why this school ? ....

Big question for the school is simple - If they take you, CAN you develop into a researcher that will bring laurels to the school - for producing good researchers ? ie. " research potential ". That is why prior research is not important. If you have not done research , it does not mean you cannot do it in future - But you need to convince the PhD adcomm of this fact via your SOP.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts