Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:MIT, NYU, Yale, Darden, McCombs
Send PM
Re: GRE Anyone? [#permalink]
Kudos
Applying to a few schools R2 with V (96%) Q (90%). Will let all know admits/dings/WL.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Took GRE about 5 years ago to get into grad school.

Got 780 on Math and something like 450 on Verbal. At the time verbal didn't matter since only Math was of "real importance" for the program.

I found Verbal on GRE to be more difficult than GMAT, while Math was much much easier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Took GRE last year. Phew! Was glad when it was done, what a dry exam. I scored 630 on both Quant and Verb. The Verb. is as hard as nails. The math I think is harder than the GMAT. I am toying with the idea of doing the GRE this year... for certain reasons but will not need it for grad school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I'm studying for the GRE currently. I'm not looking forward to taking the exam but I know it needs to be done and I'll be glad when it's over. I'm going to do more than one practice test though as I've found several online and I'm also going to check out some of the prep books. I'm hoping I do well because I really want to get into grad school!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I took the GRE back in 2003. I wasn't very happy with my results, but it bought me a ticket for a good US university, so the contract was won. 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Yeah it doesn't have as much weight as GMAT but I did a GRE practice test and did well enough that I think I'll write it just to shore up my application a bit more..

Can't hurt is my theory (unless you do badly)?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
joeleitz wrote:
Yeah it doesn't have as much weight as GMAT but I did a GRE practice test and did well enough that I think I'll write it just to shore up my application a bit more..

Can't hurt is my theory (unless you do badly)?

You don't have to send the results in, so take the test, see your scores and only send it in if you get a good score. (you will have to pay extra for that).
However, there is no value in taking both - only one test will count.
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I am preparing for GRE and I will appear for both GRE & GMAT tests because there's no way that I can pay for B-school, so the only way is some scholarship. I don't have a high GPA, and there is a little chance that I'll get some fellowship or scholarship from school. And the only option left is Fulbright Scholarship given by each year USEFP (United states educational foundation program), to be eligible for scholarship one must take GRE and TOEFL if school asks for it (It is recommended to write the test). So now will appear for GRE around Oct/Nov 2010, TOEFL around Jan/Feb 2011, Apply for Fulbright around May 2011, Aug 2011 Fulbright Interviews, meanwhile will start GMAT prep devotedly, Sep/Oct Fulbright results and then give school preferences, around Nov 2011 GMAT, Oct/Nov 2011 onwards applying to schools (applications & essays, have some material to prepare for that :) ) & Interviews, Jun 2012 application for VISA, Jun/Jul 2012 School results and selection, Aug 2012 leave Pakistan for MBA (With the help of Almighty!). USEFP gives Fulbright on one condition that upon completion of your degree you'll come to your home country and serve there for the period of that equal to study period and also share your home country experience with US people and similarly share US experience with your home country' people.

I have a question guys, what's the best material to prepare for GRE (best books)? and what should be the study plan and also how about strategies? Need help regarding material and study plan/strategy.

Any suggestion or advice regarding my plan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I have taken it long back and got 1480 800+680. looking forward for my gmat
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations
Schools:MIT, UConn
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
mit accepts it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Looking forward to ... in the planning stage
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I gave my GRE in June. Score 1310 ( 740 Quants, 570 Verbal) and 4.5 AWA.
I dont think I can get an admit at Kelley MS-IS with this score.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
I have taken GRE (1560, Q - 800, V - 760).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I've registered, and have booked a slot in September... intend to begin preparing today/tomorrow/this weekend :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Potential GRE takers,

Ask yourself this:
1. Am I looking for a 90th+ percentile score
2. No kidding, is it within my reach (honest self-assessment)
3. Am I considering a Prep course or a private tutor to commit to the studying?

If you answered “YES” you are in my category. I am admittedly, not one of those gifted test takers that can do a month of light studying and then breeze through to a 330 GRE or a 760 GMAT. I can probably break the 90th percentile but I will have to work to get there.

So here’s my story:

I am active duty military and my schedule SUCKS for a studying routine but I had about two open months in my schedule. I have been researching both Policy and MBA programs for years now but only recently made a decision on the GRE or GMAT. I decided on the GRE after much deliberation and I quickly signed up for a Princeton Review GRE prep course. I am happy to provide more details on why the GRE over the GMAT but I’ll leave that for another day. Anyway, the 6-week course met every Saturday for four hours. This is a pretty standard format for a prep course targeted towards working adults who have their weekends free. The teacher was very accomplished and clearly commanded a deep understanding of the test and pitfalls for her students.

Very shortly after we got started though, I realized I was in the wrong class and this was not a good investment. I quickly progressed through the material with little or no challenges. By that I mean I understood all the testing concepts and still made errors but they were careless and more a product of getting back into test taking shape. My errors also diminished rapidly with time and I found myself having no problems with the homework assigned. You would think that’s a good thing but for me, it was not. I realized I was under-challenged by the material presented. Nowhere was this more evident than my practice tests. I consistently hovered in the low 600s. So what gives?

The truth is I needed more than the course could offer. These prep courses, rightfully so, are tailored towards students who are looking to gain a “respectable” score, as several of the students self-admitted. As examples, three of the other students were seeking mid-tier local graduate degrees in education, and another had aspirations of getting a masters in art history at a small school that I had never heard of. When we started getting into the meat of the class, these students fundamentally did not understand the Math concepts on the test and the first 1.5 hours of each class was devoted to homework review. I was careful not to be disrespectful but I literally sat there and waited for the teacher to get through everyone’s questions. When I finally spoke to my teacher about my situation she was very understanding and recognized that I was probably moving along faster than the other students. She was refreshingly honest though and said there’s nothing she could do because she would leave the other students behind if she picked up the pace. Completely understandable.

The lesson here was to take a hard look at the course you are signing up for. Understand that the big names like Princeton Review and Kaplan are businesses themselves and have a target consumer that is the mid-level test taker. If you are looking for a top score, and are willing invest some serious time and money to get there, you should go with a private tutor. I essentially wasted about $1,200 and I only had myself to blame. Ultimately, I decided not to sit for the actual test following the prep course.

Moving on, I took some time off from the course because of a period of intense training in my work. I picked it back up about 9 months later with a fresh perspective. During these 9 months, the GRE underwent its recent revision.

From there I decided to go with a private tutor only for the verbal section. The consummate self-promoter, my tutor told me upfront that anyone who claims they can tutor both sections is full of sh*%, and shouldn’t be trusted. I don’t know if I would go that far but I think there is some validity to that. Getting a good score on both sections does not mean you can tutor someone how to beat it. I did four sessions with this guy and I was very happy. His technique for the RC sections was especially helpful. Finding key words and concession points in the passage, really identifying the tone and purpose of the author, and critically looking at the role of each paragraph. Instantly, I realized, this is the instruction I was lacking in a larger prep course setting. In addition, he encouraged a comprehensive study of vocabulary that focuses not only on rote memorization, but roots as well.

Lastly, this guy simply lite a fire under my rump and was candid when he saw mistakes. Several times, he told me I had no excuse to miss certain questions and it’s completely unacceptable. This is a personal preference, but I respond well to tough standards like that and a teacher in a prep course just cannot say that to a student.

Due to short notice military deployment, tutoring was cut short and I only had three sessions with him. In this short time though, I made huge improvement. I decided to just take the test and go through the test taking experience in a testing center. I had never taken a full-length practice test before and I was going in pretty cold. With this help though, I left with a 321 cumulative score that comes out to about a 680 on the GMAT converter. It was 88th percentile and I am happy with it given the abbreviated prep. When I return from deployment, I will actually have 2 months that I can commit to studying and I know I can hit 325-330.

LESSON LEARNED: Everyone has his or her own studying techniques and everyone’s situation is different. If you are looking for a top score and targeting some competitive programs, I would strongly consider a private tutor over a prep course. Had I heard this going in, I would have not wasted my time in the class.

Profile:

29/m
*3.2/4.0 from a top 30. History Major, Geophysics minor
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC
*GRE: 321 (161 V, 160 Q). On the ETS converter that comes to a 680 GMAT

Work Experience: 7 Years Navy SEAL Officer. 5 Deployments to date with combat.
-Combat leadership in a variety of austere and high profile locations.
-Senior level coordination within DOD
-Excellent lessons from garrison personnel management.
-Task Unit commander in charge of $25M in equipment overseas.
-Consistent high performance in my service record. Ranked #1 of 16 peers (also SEAL Officers) on most recent eval period

Extra Curricular: Involved heavily in several charity foundations and recruiting campaigns in support of the SEAL community.
-Repeated visitor to my Alma Mater as a speaker on Leadership for the Athletic Department.
-Lead food drives at work
-Volunteered at foundation events for the Wounded Warrior Foundation.

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Took GRE (Q: 156 & V: 148)