Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [950]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [23]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [21]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Math: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys,
something I am missing.. why do we do a minus Xc (which is 12) as below for parallel lines???? is it always the case???

Slope AB=\frac{20-7}{5-30}=-052

For the line to be parallel to AB it will have the same slope, and will pass through a given point, C(12,10). We therefore have enough information to define the line by it's equation in point-slope form form:

y=-0.52(x-12)+10 --> y=-0.52x+16.24
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Example # 2.
Q: Define a line passing through the point E and perpendicular to a line passing through the points C and D on the graph above.
Solution: The point E is on the y-axis and so is the y-intercept of the desired line. Once we know the slope of the line, we can express it using its equation in slope-intercept form y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

First find the slope of line CD:
Slope CD=\frac{24-4}{22-31}=\frac{20}{-9}=-2.22

The line we seek will have a slope which is the negative reciprocal of:
-\frac{1}{-2.22}=0.45

Since E is on the Y-axis, we know that the intercept is 10. Plugging these values into the line equation, the line we need is described by the equation

y = 0.45x + 10

What if E was not on the Y-axis???
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
defoue wrote:
Hi guys,
something I am missing.. why do we do a minus Xc (which is 12) as below for parallel lines???? is it always the case???

Slope AB=\frac{20-7}{5-30}=-052

For the line to be parallel to AB it will have the same slope, and will pass through a given point, C(12,10). We therefore have enough information to define the line by it's equation in point-slope form form:

y=-0.52(x-12)+10 --> y=-0.52x+16.24

The equation of a straight line that passes through a point \(P_1(x_1, y_1)\) with a
slope \(m\) is:

\(y-y_1=m(x-x_1)\)

We calculated the slope \(m=-0.52\), and have the point \(C(12,10)\). substituting the values in the equation above we get: \(y-10=-0.52(x-12)\) or \(y=-0.52(x-12)+10\) as written.

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
defoue wrote:
Example # 2.
Q: Define a line passing through the point E and perpendicular to a line passing through the points C and D on the graph above.
Solution: The point E is on the y-axis and so is the y-intercept of the desired line. Once we know the slope of the line, we can express it using its equation in slope-intercept form y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

First find the slope of line CD:
Slope CD=\frac{24-4}{22-31}=\frac{20}{-9}=-2.22

The line we seek will have a slope which is the negative reciprocal of:
-\frac{1}{-2.22}=0.45

Since E is on the Y-axis, we know that the intercept is 10. Plugging these values into the line equation, the line we need is described by the equation

y = 0.45x + 10

What if E was not on the Y-axis???

Slope of line segment CD would be calculated in the same way. Slope of perpendicular line would also be calculated in the same way.

So we have the point \(E(x_1,y_1)\) (no matter whether it's on y axis or not) and the slope \(m\) of a line which passes through this point.

And again: The equation of a straight line that passes through a point \(P_1(x_1, y_1)\) with a
slope \(m\) is:

\(y-y_1=m(x-x_1)\)

Only thing is left to substitute the values we have (point/slope) in above equation.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [8]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Slope of a Line

The slope or gradient of a line describes its steepness, incline, or grade. A higher slope value indicates a steeper incline.

The slope is defined as the ratio of the "rise" divided by the "run" between two points on a line, or in other words, the ratio of the altitude change to the horizontal distance between any two points on the line.

Given two points \((x_1,y_1)\) and \((x_2,y_2)\) on a line, the slope \(m\) of the line is:

\(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\)

If the equation of the line is given in the Point-intercept form: \(y=mx+b\), then \(m\) is the slope. This form of a line's equation is called the slope-intercept form, because \(b\) can be interpreted as the y-intercept of the line, the y-coordinate where the line intersects the y-axis.

If the equation of the line is given in the General form:\(ax+by+c=0\), then the slope is \(-\frac{a}{b}\) and the y intercept is \(-\frac{c}{b}\).

SLOPE DIRECTION
The slope of a line can be positive, negative, zero or undefined.

Positive slope
Here, y increases as x increases, so the line slopes upwards to the right. The slope will be a positive number. The line below has a slope of about +0.3, it goes up about 0.3 for every step of 1 along the x-axis.

Negative slope
Here, y decreases as x increases, so the line slopes downwards to the right. The slope will be a negative number. The line below has a slope of about -0.3, it goes down about 0.3 for every step of 1 along the x-axis.

Zero slope
Here, y does not change as x increases, so the line in exactly horizontal. The slope of any horizontal line is always zero. The line below goes neither up nor down as x increases, so its slope is zero.
Undefined slope
When the line is exactly vertical, it does not have a defined slope. The two x coordinates are the same, so the difference is zero. The slope calculation is then something like \(slope=\frac{15}{0}\) When you divide anything by zero the result has no meaning. The line above is exactly vertical, so it has no defined slope.

SLOPE AND QUADRANTS:

1. If the slope of a line is negative, the line WILL intersect quadrants II and IV. X and Y intersects of the line with negative slope have the same sign. Therefore if X and Y intersects are positive, the line intersects quadrant I; if negative, quadrant III.

2. If the slope of line is positive, line WILL intersect quadrants I and III. Y and X intersects of the line with positive slope have opposite signs. Therefore if X intersect is negative, line intersects the quadrant II too, if positive quadrant IV.

3. Every line (but the one crosses origin OR parallel to X or Y axis OR X and Y axis themselves) crosses three quadrants. Only the line which crosses origin \((0,0)\) OR is parallel to either of axis crosses only two quadrants.

4. If a line is horizontal it has a slope of \(0\), is parallel to X-axis and crosses quadrant I and II if the Y intersect is positive OR quadrants III and IV, if the Y intersect is negative. Equation of such line is y=b, where b is y intersect.

5. If a line is vertical, the slope is not defined, line is parallel to Y-axis and crosses quadrant I and IV, if the X intersect is positive and quadrant II and III, if the X intersect is negative. Equation of such line is \(x=a\), where a is x-intercept.

6. For a line that crosses two points \((x_1,y_1)\) and \((x_2,y_2)\), slope \(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\)

7. If the slope is 1 the angle formed by the line is \(45\) degrees.

8. Given a point and slope, equation of a line can be found. The equation of a straight line that passes through a point \((x_1, y_1)\) with a slope \(m\) is: \(y - y_1 = m(x - x_1)\)

A general question on Slope....

I know the an absolute value of a slope gives us how steep the line would be. And the sign gives us whether it is a rise or a fall...

But if we have a question like:
Line A has a slope -5 and Line B has a slope 4.... Which one of them has a greater slope? How do we handle this? Does this mean we consider the absolute values and then decide or answer.. (that is Line A)... or should we consider the signs too.. (i.e. Line B)...

Please advise!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jeeteshsingh wrote:
A general question on Slope....

I know the an absolute value of a slope gives us how steep the line would be. And the sign gives us whether it is a rise or a fall...

But if we have a question like:
Line A has a slope -5 and Line B has a slope 4.... Which one of them has a greater slope? How do we handle this? Does this mean we consider the absolute values and then decide or answer.. (that is Line A)... or should we consider the signs too.. (i.e. Line B)...

Please advise!

If the question is which one has the greater slope, then the answer would be: Line B, as 4>-5. As you correctly noted line A will be steeper than B, but the slope of B is positive and that of A is negative. We are comparing m1 with m2 not |m1| with |m2|.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Bunnel:

Suppose we have two lines ax+by+c = 0

and 2ax+2by+2c = 0 and question is- are they parallel? I know both are same lines, but do we can them parallel?

In DS question the answer of- are they parallel should be NO? or Yes.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Bunnel:

Suppose we have two lines ax+by+c = 0

and 2ax+2by+2c = 0 and question is- are they parallel? I know both are same lines, but do we can them parallel?

In DS question the answer of- are they parallel should be NO? or Yes.

Basically you are asking whether the line is parallel to itself. It depends how we define the word "parallel". I don't think that there is a consensus about this issue nor that this concept is tested on GMAT. So don't worry about it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
When I have two points in a coordinate system e.g. (2,3) and (6,7) that pass through a line how do I know which number is x1 and which is x2 when calculating slope. Also, the same for the y1 and y2?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Wonderful! Excellent work!

A small remark at "7. If the slope is 1 the angle formed by the line is 45 degrees."
Angle formed by the line with who?
The slope of a line is a real number equal to the tangent of the angle formed by the line with the positive x axis.
For the GMAT, no need to know about tangent (trigonometry), just to understand which angle we are talking about.
If the angle is acute, the slope (tangent of the angle) is positive. If the angle is obtuse, the slope (tangent of the angle) is negative.
There is a one-to-one correspondence between angles and the real numbers representing their so-called tangent values.
So, a line with slope 1 forms an angle of 45 degrees and a line with slope -1 forms an angle of 135 degrees with the positive x axis.
If the angle is 60 degrees, the slope is \(\sqrt{3}\), and \(-\sqrt{3}\) if the angle is 120 degrees, etc.

A suggestion: wouldn't be better to define the slope somewhere before the equations? I am sure everybody knows what's the slope of a line, just for the coherence.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [3]
Send PM
Kudos