Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [3]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Interesting Insights into GMAT Questions from GMAC [#permalink]
Kudos
Yes BB I agree with you.

Its not easy to learn grammar with busy work schedule :(
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Yes BB I agree with you.

Its not easy to learn grammar with busy work schedule :(

I think GMAC needs to work on critical reasoning:

For example:

A lot of successful business people are smart
A lot of smart people tend to score higher on the GMAT
Therefore, a higher gmat means you will be successful in business

I don't think so

GMAC's insights are, to a certain extent, meaningless. The have no choice but to say there is a correlation. Otherwise, they would put themselves out of business. We all know statistics can be made to say anything.

I think another aspect where the GMAC seriously fails is not having an "international version" of the exam. I think many bright international students are left out of the process. It's like saying you are not smart enough if you don't know English. Schools will claim that since the curriculum is taught in English then one should know English. But, isn't that the purpose of the TOEFL?

Additionally, I can see where the language, in both quant and verbal, can be a hindrance to people who are not well versed in English. Also, I can see where the language can seriously conflict with one's personal and religious beliefs, i.e., the theory of evolution.

I do tend to dislike the purpose of the GMAT, but in reality, what other alternative are we left with? Maybe an IQ type exam? Perhaps some questions that relate more to actual business topics. Is knowing that a "weevil pollinates" really a business question? Sure the logic may be, but can't the same question involve some type of business logic?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
All that GMAC claims is that there is a strong correlation between one's GMAT score and their performance in the first year of the MBA program. That's it. They don't make any claims about leadership skills.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
GMAC published an article on How GMAT Question Types Test the Skills Business Students Need and provided some of the reasoning/logic behind GMAT question types (DS and CR only), mostly with an argument that they test the correct skills that are needed by business leaders. I think it is hard to disagree. However, my argument is that though it is important for a business leader to have skills like these, it is also possible to become good at passing tests like these without actually being a high quality business school material.... and I'd rather hire somebody with a great work experience than a high gmat score even if they are half the price.

[quote2GMAC]Although the GMAT exam is conducted in English and requires basic math skills, its difficulty lies not in advanced vocabulary or math skills, but in the logic and analytical reasoning the test requires.[/quote2]
[quote2GMAC]Data Sufficiency very succinctly measures your ability to sort through a lot of information and pick only what you need to solve a problem. It also tests your ability to think through solving a problem using different bits of data. Business schools demand both, as students are often presented with complicated case studies with lots of exhibits and financial statements and must figure out how to solve problems without getting bogged down in excessive detail.[/quote2]
[quote2GMAC]In business school, as in the business world, you will be asked to collaborate on projects and evaluate the ideas and arguments of others, and the ability to do that succinctly is important[/quote2]
Source: https://www.gmac.com/gmac/NewsandEvents/ ... htm?Page=1

I like this quote

In business school, as in the business world, you will be asked to collaborate on projects and evaluate the ideas and arguments of others, and the ability to do that succinctly is important

So why can't we collaborate on the exam?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT puts international students (i.e. those whose mother tongue is not English) at a significant disadvantage in comparison to native speakers. But the point is: if you want to study in an English speaking school will you always make excuses that English is a foreign language for you? When you botch something up at work will you say to your boss that it is because you didn't understand something? Of course I have to say that GMAT uses very advanced vocabulary that is not used frequently in every day English.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
And I do think that your ability to solve GMAT math problems is in a certain way an adequate measure of your thinking in a stressful environment.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nonameee wrote:
And I do think that your ability to solve GMAT math problems is in a certain way an adequate measure of your thinking in a stressful environment.

Good point - it is almost that the stress is a part of the test and questions are somewhat of a filler.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
GMAT puts international students (i.e. those whose mother tongue is not English) at a significant disadvantage in comparison to native speakers. But the point is: if you want to study in an English speaking school will you always make excuses that English is a foreign language for you? When you botch something up at work will you say to your boss that it is because you didn't understand something? Of course I have to say that GMAT uses very advanced vocabulary that is not used frequently in every day English.

Agree.

Here Here does-the-gmat-discriminate-non-english-speakers-94552.html#p728165 apprx the same topis is discussed. I want just to cross reference these two topics in order to add ideas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Well liked the thoughts of other poster here

so i also feel like posting something

I think one thing is for sure, words only are never going to solve this issue. May be ,can work as sympathy but can never solve the real problem.
Ok, i guess this native and non native argument is never going to end. So, here are some thing i want to say
1)Everybody seems to accept that 'native speakers do have huge advantage over non native speakers in verbal section'. So, what has been done till date to reduce it. Can we come to conclusion that GMAT is biased towards non native speakers or GMAT test is not 100% fair.
Should anybody have a better score just because he knows some more words than other who knows the language less.
2)Is it Aptitude Test or language test?
Most of users take GMAT as a requirement for attending Business school not to be a LANGAUGE Instructor. So, when i prepare to SC and RC ,I ask myself, ”am I trying to be language instructor?” or “am I trying to be language or meaning analyst?”.So for me if you say GMAT is Aptitude test then inclusion of SC and style of passages in RC is not justifiable at all. I agree with the CR questions for business student candidates.
If it really works as language test, why are international students required to take TOEFL in addition to taking GMAT.

3)If Compare verbal section’s scores with the quantative section’s score for native speakers or take an average I bet you will find most of them have better verbal sections scores and especially in SC and RC where as I have seen non native speaker student getting 100% marks in quantative section and even not getting 40% marks in verbal section ruining the whole GMAT score.
What does it tell about his caliber?
4)In most of non-native countries GMAT type English is not taught and it doesn’t happen in a day or two.
When I use to be in school ,for e g, I use to say
Harry works better than Larry.
Harry can do different link like singing, playing
These sentence were right(this is how things are taught) when I was in school but for this exam these are not correct. So, all of the sudden somebody says this is not right then things are bound to get difficult for you.
I also feel discussion like this doesn’t have or will not get to any logical end so I also know joining the band wagon seems to be best ploy for now rather than arguing over it.
Just my thoughts.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Send PM
frank1 wrote:
Well liked the thoughts of other poster here

so i also feel like posting something

I think one thing is for sure, words only are never going to solve this issue. May be ,can work as sympathy but can never solve the real problem.
Ok, i guess this native and non native argument is never going to end. So, here are some thing i want to say
1)Everybody seems to accept that 'native speakers do have huge advantage over non native speakers in verbal section'. So, what has been done till date to reduce it. Can we come to conclusion that GMAT is biased towards non native speakers or GMAT test is not 100% fair.
Should anybody have a better score just because he knows some more words than other who knows the language less.
2)Is it Aptitude Test or language test?
Most of users take GMAT as a requirement for attending Business school not to be a LANGAUGE Instructor. So, when i prepare to SC and RC ,I ask myself, ”am I trying to be language instructor?” or “am I trying to be language or meaning analyst?”.So for me if you say GMAT is Aptitude test then inclusion of SC and style of passages in RC is not justifiable at all. I agree with the CR questions for business student candidates.
If it really works as language test, why are international students required to take TOEFL in addition to taking GMAT.

3)If Compare verbal section’s scores with the quantative section’s score for native speakers or take an average I bet you will find most of them have better verbal sections scores and especially in SC and RC where as I have seen non native speaker student getting 100% marks in quantative section and even not getting 40% marks in verbal section ruining the whole GMAT score.
What does it tell about his caliber?
4)In most of non-native countries GMAT type English is not taught and it doesn’t happen in a day or two.
When I use to be in school ,for e g, I use to say
Harry works better than Larry.
Harry can do different link like singing, playing
These sentence were right(this is how things are taught) when I was in school but for this exam these are not correct. So, all of the sudden somebody says this is not right then things are bound to get difficult for you.
I also feel discussion like this doesn’t have or will not get to any logical end so I also know joining the band wagon seems to be best ploy for now rather than arguing over it.
Just my thoughts.

lol nice points.... Those who score 35-40+ in V of Gmat should be given privilege not to give TOEFL.

But still SC and RC is very important for the MBA.

RC- we have to comprehend a lot of material and think critically.
SC- :lol: Can u imagine a case study full of grammar mistakes?

But One thing can be done that is to consider low scoring non-native speakers for interviews.
Suppose Q51 and V 30 is 680 and cut off for the college is 700, then they should not be rejected just because of the low verbal score.
VP
VP
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:

lol nice points.... Those who score 35-40+ in V of Gmat should be given privilege not to give TOEFL.

But One thing can be done that is to consider low scoring non-native speakers for interviews.
Suppose Q51 and V 30 is 680 and cut off for the college is 700, then they should not be rejected just because of the low verbal score.

Of course RC is important, "to comprehend a lot of material " is crucial , BUT give me texts from economics, finance, management, etc.... DO you belive that during your MBA you will study materials from biology, chemistry, astronomy, science, etc? No! , thus why we need this ?!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

Of course RC is important, "to comprehend a lot of material " is crucial , BUT give me texts from economics, finance, management, etc.... DO you belive that during your MBA you will study materials from biology, chemistry, astronomy, science, etc? No! , thus why we need this ?!!!

I disagree 100 per cent. Unless you're dead-set on working in Treasury, Compliance/Quant Risk Management (for which the MBA is not the ideal degree), or IT Operations Management, it is absolutely crucial that you be able to engage with a wide variety of subjects, especially in two career options that are mainstays of MBA-recruiment: investment banking and management consulting. Remember, the MBA is a degree that is specifically meant to prepare you for the job market and the business world; this isn't a scientific exploration of management and business science. If a b-school has to spend time teaching you how to read properly, that's a serious waste of resources, so the GMAT works just fine as a screener. Management consultancies and investment banks will appreciate it too.

Think about it: you're an investment banker, planning on helping a pharmaceutical launch an IPO, and a big chunk of its potential enterprise value hinges upon a legal decision based on the ethical implications of the testing methodologies for one of its flagship research projects. It doesn't matter whether you're the sales guy, the analyst, the VP, or whatever, on this engagement - you better be able to speak and write cogently on the subject, as it has a direct impact on your firm's ability to underwrite and place your client's shares.

How about management consulting? Geez, this one is so obvious, I don't even know where to start. MC is all about understanding the nuances of your client's industry, your client's position in that industry, and how to unlock value and help foment business growth. It won't be possible to succeed in this field by relying on finance, accounting, and economics texts.

This is assuming, of course, that you're considering careers at an investment bank or a management consultancy that won't revolve around being a quant (for which, I repeat, the MBA is not the best degree). If, instead, you're looking to work at a F500 corporate, focusing on project management or product development, I honestly fail to see how you're going to successfully hide behind management-speak and accounting jargon. Let's say you're trying to work on a next-gen Google device that will compete with the iPad: I'm pretty sure that boring your colleagues with some faux boo-hoo management leadership story or a nifty trick on accounts receivables is a pretty fast way to ... getting taken off the project. No, you want to be able to understand why the LCD-group needs budget for a study on tactile effects and materials' sensitivity - I mean, are we going to compete with the touch-screen or not? You're not the one doing the research or writing the science texts; you just need to understand the experts' summary.

So as I said, unless you plan on working in Treasury or Risk/Compliance (where, sure, you can do fine just by being a finance/accounting/management technocrat), you better be able to understand basic digests in subjects germane to the real economy.

Sorry man, don't mean to jump on you at all, I just disagree with the view and want to offer my reasoning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
nonameee wrote:

Totally agree. Managers and shareholders in corporate America really won't be impressed by language complaints. I'd prefer speaking my native language to English on any day of the week, but my boss and colleagues don't need to know that.
VP
VP
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
Pkit wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

I disagree 100 per cent. Unless you're dead-set on working in Treasury, Compliance/Quant Risk Management (for which the MBA is not the ideal degree), or IT Operations Management, it is absolutely crucial that you be able to engage with a wide variety of subjects, especially in two career options that are mainstays of MBA-recruiment: investment banking and management consulting. .....

Sorry man, don't mean to jump on you at all, I just disagree with the view and want to offer my reasoning.

Great post. I like your reasoning. I am pertinacious and it is difficult to convince me, when I have my own point of view. But here you have provided me with clear examples. I must agree with you.

+1 kudos.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Send PM
Another reason could be unbiased GMAT. If the RC passages are only from business related journals then they will be biased towards business graduates. And same holds true for social sciences passages for ARTS graduates.

So to create an unbiased GMAT test they have to include topics from different domains.

PS: GMAT is not aware of the person arriving for the tests. You are lucky if you get familiar topic in RC.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
skipjames wrote:
I will say that as an amateur GMAT test taker but an experienced professional, the test seems heavy on the language even in the math department. if you were foreign you could have trouble with the language. This seems good for me because though I am a science career, I am an English major at heart.

If one is a nonnative English speaker, this test is likely to be more of a challenge. It is possible to be an excellent currency trader for example without knowing much English. And certainly without being able to solve PS124 correctly on the first go. So it goes.

Some points:

1. It is well-known in the literature (and among researchers, teachers, and other wise parties that are connected to education) that standardized tests such as the ACT/SAT/GRE/GMAT favor certain groups. Although test agencies strive to minimize these advantages, such as by carefully testing whether the language used can lead to cultural dilemmas, other issues cannot be addressed through test design.

Advantageous groups include: people from certain groups - e.g., richer, trained in test taking schools, educated in certain types of universities that reward essay writing and language use, etc.

2. The point about being a good currency dealer or a business person or an academic without good test scores is also understood by the test designers.

The test is not making claims that _only_ people with good test scores will make good citizens in society. The purpose of the test is different. In part, it is designed to group testtakers bu certain abilities from a very large of testtakers, many of whom will come from varied backgrounds. The test provides a standardized platform to compare performances.

3. There is large amount of research on the shortcomings of standardized tests. Many academics even decry the use of these tests. However, the practice continues for many reasons, both valid and others not so useful reasons. There are cultural, business and political reasons for the use of these tests.

The bottomline is that organizations and individuals should use the results of these tests in conjunction with other performance and personal indicators. Heavy emphasis on just one test result is an extremely poor approach. Standardized tests have statistical errors which need to be properly considered.
GMAT Club Bot