Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: INSEAD JANUARY 2011 INTAKE [#permalink]
ramanathanblue wrote:
yes, and it works fine. only thing is when u switch from windows to Mac, you have to get used to the way MAC runs. double clicks,etc etc. you may want to get used to it before the school starts.
anyone else interested in travelling?

I love the way the whole focus has shifted to discussing laptops :-)

count me in on the travelling bit...

PS - am now thinking of switching over to a mac pro for school.. beats the vaio hands-down anyday...
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:
yes, and it works fine. only thing is when u switch from windows to Mac, you have to get used to the way MAC runs. double clicks,etc etc. you may want to get used to it before the school starts.

PS - am now thinking of switching over to a mac pro for school.. beats the vaio hands-down anyday...

This is probably the most relaxing conversation at this time..
long two weeks it has been.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can any old student shed some light on how much interviews add to the admissions. Did anyone else face the good cop/bad cop kind of situation?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[quote="artgirl"]Can any old student shed some light on how much interviews add to the admissions. Did anyone else face the good cop/bad cop kind of situation?[/quote

I dint face the good cop bad cop. both were very good cops, very friendly, successful, smart. Both gave me feedback at the end that I was successful in the interviews. But based on the previous posts on this forum, I learnt that its just not enough to do well in the interviews. And based on the info session I attended at Fonty a few weeks back, they told us that the whole file will be re read by the ad com with the interviewers' reports, and will be read by a totally new person also. Then finally they will collect everyone's opinion and send out the admits. She also told that about 50% get called for the interviews and more than 50% of them get admits. So that means we stand more than 50% chance to get an admit after being successful in the interviews. :roll:
So I will say its still a long way to go. Since we all are in the Round 1, chances are less for being eliminated for diversity reasons I guess. Lets all hope for the best! Keeping my fingers crossed and my mobile phone just next to me, so that I dont miss that hopeful call from Fonty. :|
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
sinhadee wrote:
ramanathanblue wrote:

This is probably the most relaxing conversation at this time..
long two weeks it has been.

Haha. Well Travelling ... Me!
I was thinking IF I get in (optimism... optimism) I wanna take a 3-month break to travel or do some stuff, charity or what not, before school...

Anyone having the same idea?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools:INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking
Send PM
Anyone here who's indicated S'pore as the prefered campus over fonty? And why? I have ticked Fonty too....but it's gonna be freezing in January.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I picked Singapore for the start for a number of reasons, 1) family issues to settle, 2) keeping away from the winter, 3) spring recruitment drive in asia

then hopefully i'll go up to fonty in P3 4 5 and get to experience the summer and autumn there... and if i'm not wrong we're on the edge of the loire valley... which would make it the perfect time for wine tours :D

Regarding the interviewers, i dont think INSEAD picks them based on a good cop/bad cop theory, I think its just the style of the interviewers and the setting where you have your interview.

Generally I think that if you have the IV in the alum's office it'd be more work like... mainly coz he/she will be in a more work-like state and meeting them outside like in a cafe or something will be more relaxed and thus they'd be more chilled.

In my case both my IVs were conducted over tea/lunch, the 1st guy was really nice and helpful. He gave me quite a few pointers on life during and post-mba whereas the 2nd guy was alot firmer and more to-the-point... which also meant compartatively tougher questions (he also challenged my stand more than the 1st guy)... So in short if i had to classify one of them as a bad cop, it'd be the 2nd guy, but that being said... I don't think he was being tough or challenging me on purpose, my read is that its just his character... so i guess in that sense, observing your IVer and adapting to his tone and characteristics is quite important.

Oh and I didnt get any feedback from either IVer, personally I would have liked to know how I did, but at the same time I didnt expect it either... so guess we'll wait and see.

if (and thats a big IF) i get in, i'd probably quit and spend time travelling, like climb a mountain or go do something equally as adventurous or do courses or something... hopefully get the exit language requirement out of the way... and maybe do a sommelier's course while i'm at it
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rishiphadke wrote:
Anyone here who's indicated S'pore as the prefered campus over fonty? And why? I have ticked Fonty too....but it's gonna be freezing in January.

I have ticket Fonty as my home campus, as I live in Europe currently and want to live in Europe post MBA too. I am looking forward more to the Wharton exchange. Yes, Winter can be biting in P1 and P4, but I tell you guys, winter days are beautifully white too. (the optimistic side in me talks).I am used to it now and some days are really beautiful with snow and ice everywhere.

Crezence & Vodkacran- you have plenty of options to mountain climb in the Alps - Austria, Germany and Switzerland. If you want more challenging terrain, then Id suggest you to go to Nepal,India to climb the Himalayas. The difference is huge. On travelling, you can easily elapse 3 months travelling around Europe (i.e if you are not an European).
Intern
Intern
Schools:Insead
Send PM
Hi

Anyone applying for R2 INSEAD 2011 Jan intake? I am working on my essays and finding it very difficult to manage along with work. :(

I think the most difficult essay is the strength and weakness essay.

Anyway, I had a question? There is a section in the application which asks you to state a reason as to why Toefl is not required.
I am from India, but have been working in Singapore for the last 3 years and English has been the language used in high school, graduation and post grad, but education is still from India.

I have basically 2 questions:
1. Is the above a valid reason to ask for Toefl exemption?
2. Will INSEAD notify whether I need to take Toefl post the application submission?

All R1 guys,

I just love this thread and have been following this thread right from the start... Eager to hear about the interview results...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Crezence for your response!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Media, Tech, Entrep.
Schools:INSEAD R1 D'11
Send PM
I've also finished my interviews. There was no concrete feedback, but things went pretty smoothly. Hearing everyone speak of laptops and vacations I do have a question...

Am I the only one concerned about finances at this point?

I still have serious doubts about whether this whole adventure would be worth it financially. I have decent savings and I'm happy to invest them in myself, but at first approximation I would be left with the entire tuition fees as outstanding debt after the program, assuming I don't count on internship or sign-on bonuses to ease the burden. I'm assuming that I wouldn't be the only person in the position.

What are everyone's plans as far as finances go? Is anyone else concerned about this kind of thing? :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
monkeypunch wrote:
I've also finished my interviews. There was no concrete feedback, but things went pretty smoothly. Hearing everyone speak of laptops and vacations I do have a question...

I still have serious doubts about whether this whole adventure would be worth it financially. I have decent savings and I'm happy to invest them in myself, but at first approximation I would be left with the entire tuition fees as outstanding debt after the program, assuming I don't count on internship or sign-on bonuses to ease the burden. I'm assuming that I wouldn't be the only person in the position.

What are everyone's plans as far as finances go? Is anyone else concerned about this kind of thing? :)

hmmm don't worry i am too.

i have had pointers from the alums who interviewed me, and it does get scary. i want to defer this thinking after may, when i get a clear picture of my finances.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Media, Tech, Entrep.
Schools:INSEAD R1 D'11
Send PM
vodkacran wrote:
i have had pointers from the alums who interviewed me, and it does get scary.

Pointers about the kind of debts they got into? I was always wondering about that.

My interviewers were both part/fully financed by their employers. Oh to be so lucky! Low debt and a sure job afterwards (with the same opportunity to test the market before returning) is quite a different situation to financing the whole thing personally :)

Come to think of it, one of my interviewers went so far as to imply he just went to sit out the rotten economy and didn't really go to study.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Engineering - Logistics
Schools:INSEAD - Jan 2011
Send PM
vodkacran wrote:
monkeypunch wrote:

i have had pointers from the alums who interviewed me, and it does get scary. i want to defer this thinking after may, when i get a clear picture of my finances.

Same here... I'm looking @ loans but not too seriously. Trying to reduce costs of holidays and other leisures.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
has anyone heard about the job placements of the 2009 December batch? How has it been?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Rakham wrote:
vodkacran wrote:
monkeypunch wrote:

Same here... I'm looking @ loans but not too seriously. Trying to reduce costs of holidays and other leisures.

Yeah I've thought about. Actually if I do get accepted there is alot of I have do in a very short amount of time about fin aid.. But I don't want to do all this research and get disappointed with a ding or WL. If it is a WL I will have to withdraw (since my other program starts before I'll ever find out about R2 decisions). I can only hope for an immediate admit. why stress yourself when the odds aren't great..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
indranilroyc wrote:
Hi

Anyone applying for R2 INSEAD 2011 Jan intake? I am working on my essays and finding it very difficult to manage along with work. :(

I think the most difficult essay is the strength and weakness essay.

Anyway, I had a question? There is a section in the application which asks you to state a reason as to why Toefl is not required.
I am from India, but have been working in Singapore for the last 3 years and English has been the language used in high school, graduation and post grad, but education is still from India.

I have basically 2 questions:
1. Is the above a valid reason to ask for Toefl exemption?
2. Will INSEAD notify whether I need to take Toefl post the application submission?

I just wrote "Undergraduate course was taught in English" recommend you write the same and it should be sufficient..

Also, it will be backed up by your undergrad / post grad transcripts (when u send them by post)

Dont worry, you shouldnt have any problem with the TOEFL waiver.

All the best

PS just a tip for your essay - dont write what u think they want to read. go with what you really feel are your personal strength and weaknesses.. i believe that when u go with the actual facts, the essay turns out to be more convincing..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  70