Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
hazay wrote:
It seems that indeed the new cycle is underway.

What should we think about the new CBS Strategy in terms of essays and deadlines ?

What is the new strategy?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I guess CBS just wants to be more personal in its admission process by getting rid of the previous two essays and putting a very broad and personal essay topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Moss wrote:

Christina Shelby has indicated on BW forums that they will start reviewing applications as soon as they are complete. It is confirmed on CBS website. CBS is now playing a Super Early Decision Round strategy. You apply by mid May and get admitted by early August. They pushed the ED strategy to its limit to gain advantage over their peers schools.

And "It seems" (essay not published on the website at this date) that they throw in a couple of freebies with over simplified essays. 2 essays, limited thinking and pain required.

The message is clear : "Come on, It s so easy to apply and you get the reply by august, come on.. Booth,Kellogg,Sloan,Tuck,CBS... we re all peer schools... dont worry too much... 2 essays and you re in at CBS by august ... take the blue pill "
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
I guess CBS just wants to be more personal in its admission process by getting rid of the previous two essays and putting a very broad and personal essay topic.

Why not simply add this (interesting btw) new question to the ones of last year ? It would have make a well balanced set of essays dont you think ?

2 essays about professional achievements have been cut off, just like that. CBS wants to lure in younger applicants with less professional/leadership achievement ?

What about Master Class, the epitome at Columbia ? I love this program, and I think it was a terrific signature essay for CBS. A strong school deserves a strong signature essay. So yes I am a bit disappointed.

Wharton has published the last essays as last year. Solid, well balanced, self reflective.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Well, I had prepared for three essays before the application came online. I was surprised to see that there are only 2 essays required. However, I modified my first essay to incorporate Master Class just to make sure that I cover the base. The second essay actually is much harder than the failure essay, since you really have to dig deeper and be specific without the guideline provided in the previous failure essay. Well, I think columbia's elimination of non-consignor loans for international students is making it move more aggressively towards accepting people early and for a long period of time. Last year's international student percentage is only 38%, down from 43% the year before, and I believe the class of 2012 has an even lower percentage.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
The second essay actually is much harder than the failure essay, since you really have to dig deeper and be specific without the guideline provided in the previous failure essay.

Very deceptive indeed.

lawgonebusiness wrote:
Well, I think columbia's elimination of non-consignor loans for international students is making it move more aggressively towards accepting people early and for a long period of time. Last year's international student percentage is only 38%, down from 43% the year before, and I believe the class of 2012 has an even lower percentage.

Interesting Theory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: Tech Consulting
Send PM
I'm surprised by the overall length of what they are asking for in the essays. Two essays with a maximum of only 1250 words is not a lot of space to get a lot of detail about who we are, etc. Could this mean they are placing more emphasis on other parts of the application, say the interview, to gauge an applicant's desirability?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance; Marketing; Real Estate
Schools:Haas, Yale, Ross, UCLA,
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 2 FT years teaching ESL to adults in Sacramento
WE 2: 2 FT years analyst for State
Send PM
Hey - how is everyone getting their information? I'm trying to look through on their website and in my login, but can't seem to find the new essay questions, new deadline, etc. Can anyone post the essay prompts?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
dodib0 wrote:
Hey - how is everyone getting their information? I'm trying to look through on their website and in my login, but can't seem to find the new essay questions, new deadline, etc. Can anyone post the essay prompts?

you have to log into the application page for the essay prompts.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Thanks. I figured it out.

Originally posted by dodib0 on 16 May 2010, 21:57.
Last edited by dodib0 on 18 May 2010, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hazay wrote:
Moss wrote:

Christina Shelby has indicated on BW forums that they will start reviewing applications as soon as they are complete. It is confirmed on CBS website. CBS is now playing a Super Early Decision Round strategy. You apply by mid May and get admitted by early August. They pushed the ED strategy to its limit to gain advantage over their peers schools.

And "It seems" (essay not published on the website at this date) that they throw in a couple of freebies with over simplified essays. 2 essays, limited thinking and pain required.

The message is clear : "Come on, It s so easy to apply and you get the reply by august, come on.. Booth,Kellogg,Sloan,Tuck,CBS... we re all peer schools... dont worry too much... 2 essays and you re in at CBS by august ... take the blue pill "

Are they trying to enlarge the applicant pool, only to shred it?

Can someone post the essay questions? I have a profile with CBS but I haven't "begun" the application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Looked at the essays and other materials.

There doesn't seem to be any particular flavor to their application, as a whole ie) there is no overarching theme, unlike certain other schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
This actually pisses me off, because the answer to the theory-practice-Master Class just fell into place during the last few hours. If they're opening up the pool to younger applicants, they really should keep this question in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Another ED applicant here.

Essay #1 is straight-forward why MBA/why Columbia question, but essay #2 is very difficult, I think. First, it is 500 words and second, I gotta tell a good story that covers not only "me" but also "my personal interests" since the topic specifically has "AND" between those two. :x

What hazay said makes sense. It I can send it in by July, the decision, good or bad, will come before other school's deadline - I can either save money or pressure myself with more motivation :-D Kinda waiting for admission consultant websites to kinda "analyze" the topic and give guidances on how to attack.

However, I'm not sure eliminating the official review starting date will increase applicant pool for ED though.

Good to see this thread. I will be in this thread A LOT since CBS is my 1st choice :P
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
chostein wrote:
Another ED applicant here.

Essay #1 is straight-forward why MBA/why Columbia question, but essay #2 is very difficult, I think. First, it is 500 words and second, I gotta tell a good story that covers not only "me" but also "my personal interests" since the topic specifically has "AND" between those two. :x

What hazay said makes sense. It I can send it in by July, the decision, good or bad, will come before other school's deadline - I can either save money or pressure myself with more motivation :-D Kinda waiting for admission consultant websites to kinda "analyze" the topic and give guidances on how to attack.

However, I'm not sure eliminating the official review starting date will increase applicant pool for ED though.

Good to see this thread. I will be in this thread A LOT since CBS is my 1st choice :P

The second essay definitely is more open-ended.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
lawgonebusiness wrote:
Hi guys,

It seems that the new cycle is underway. So I think it will be nice to start this thread so we don't have to go to p.81 in the previous year's thread.

FYI

If you are going to start 2011 threads, can you make the roll call page (1st post in each thread) look like the ones from the previous years? Thanks.

calling-all-2010-cbs-applicants-merged-78610.html?view-post=586314#p586314
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Have they posted an official deadline for the applications for the early decision? Someone mentioned May, but I don't see that anywhere. Another said July, but I'm also missing this date. Does anyone know if these are just speculations or official deadlines?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  198