Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance/Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: Application Essay [#permalink]
I agree with EndDream and tuck20xx.

Not trying to sound rude, but the quote from MIT undergrad adcom comes to mind.

High school kid: Is it better to get an A in a regular class or a B in an AP or IB class?

MIT: Students who apply to MIT generally take as many AP/IB classes as they can, and get A on them.

Overcoming weak WE, GPA and GMAT with essays seems like a possible but daunting task, and I would say that most of applicants will talk about their shortcomings and what they learned from them since that is how we are told to address. WE and GPA -- there is not much you can do, but GMAT, trust me, you can raise it. There are still a few months left, and studying hard at least for a couple of months WILL raise your score, giving you a much better chance in admission. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey, you got to get to work, literally. On the GPA/GMAT/WE triumvirate, I'm strong (but not lights out) in two, and bottom decile in a third, and I am not sleeping easily.

You got to do something about it. Even if you're applying outside the Top 25, you can't get by with mediocre results in those three basic components (they're probably two-thirds of your overall profile, to put a number to it).

Originally posted by osbornecox on 19 May 2010, 05:56.
Last edited by osbornecox on 19 May 2010, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Can I ask where you are applying and what you consider low? I think it all depends where and what were taking about here -- "low GPA/GMAT" is all relative. A 2.5 GPA and 450 GMAT is within shooting distances for some schools -- and clearly completely out of the question for others.

Regardless, I think the general advice is sound -- change what you can (GMAT, ask for more responsibilities at work) and focus on mitigating what you cant (GPA).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
In general, addressing a low GMAT score in essays is not the best idea in the first place. I'm sure adcoms have read all kinds of excuses why applicants didn't perform as well as they liked. Trying to explain a poor score might even hurt you more than it helps. If you don't like your score then retake the test.

As to the GPA, that's a different story if you have valid reasons. Perhaps you had to work 2 jobs during college or support a sick family member... Years of work ex all depends on how much you progressed and your achievements to date. So even someone with 2 years of WE can be well qualified to get a top MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Send PM
I'm thinking this was a joke...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
lbird33 wrote:
I'm thinking this was a joke...

Why? Seems like a straightforward, legitimate and fairly common question to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm inclined to thinking that it's on the innocent side of uninitiated. Most people who are content with living their lives can't even begin to imagine the level of neurotic obsessiveness that comes with the B-school application territory. Those who are already in the process (or have been through it) could definitely take a step back and realize that most of us are comparable to diehard, unstable celebrity fans, in the way we pore over every single minute aspect of our application delivery and competitiveness.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:
I'm inclined to thinking that it's on the innocent side of uninitiated. Most people who are content with living their lives can't even begin to imagine the level of neurotic obsessiveness that comes with the B-school application territory. Those who are already in the process (or have been through it) could definitely take a step back and realize that most of us are comparable to diehard, unstable celebrity fans, in the way we pore over every single minute aspect of our application delivery and competitiveness.

So true, haha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Just to add to rhyme's post - it also depends on how your profile measures up compared to that of the others with a similar background
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
I agree with other comments.

But I still feel that you can make some difference, if you could show very strong leadership initiatives, extra-curriculars and strong awards (if any).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
osbornecox wrote:

Now that I've been through the process, I still shudder whenever I think about it, and quickly switch my mind to something more pleasant, like my favorite sports team.
GMAT Club Bot