Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:NYU Stern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
The first admits don't go out until early June right?

So I'm passing the time by doing community service, hanging out with friends and catching up on all the tv (re: trashy reality tv) I missed while I was studying for the GMATs.

Speaking of self-sponsored, I need to finish up my FAFSA.

Does anyone know if there are scholarships for PT students? I've been Googling, but nothing has come up.

Lastly, does anyone know of someone that is currently in Langone. It would be great to get a bit of their view on this thread and have them comment on some of our questions.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
rubystone wrote:
NYUFALL2010 wrote:
29/M/South Asian
GPA - 3.2 from a small liberal arts college (double major Accounting & Information Systems)
GMAT - 660 (Q45, V35)
WE - 5.5 years (Senior Accountant - major private equity fund)
EC - Volunteer for soup kitchen, organize an annual fundraiser for a non-profit
Recs - One from supervisor, one from supervisor's supervisor. I had an excellent year end performance review. So, I am hoping the recs were excellent as well.
Essays - For Essay 3, I sent a couple of objects with a couple of sentences on how each relate to my personal and professional life. For Essays 1 & 2, I did not beat around the bush. I gave succinct reasons for parttime MBA and very focused short-term and long-term goals.

Both my GPA and GMAT score are slightly lower than average. So, I am counting on recs, essays and good luck.

Good luck to all.

I think you are more than middle of the range for part time students. I think you have a very good shot at the program. Particularly I assume you are not limited to the weekend program only like many others.

I am limited to Washington Square weeknight program only. That's a good thing I guess.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:NYU Stern/Fordham/Rutgers
GPA: 3.47
WE 1: 3 years
Send PM
24 (almost 25, birthday this week)/F/White
GPA - 3.47
GMAT - 710
WE - 3 years (operations and wealth management for large firm)
EC - Volunteer for WiN (Women's Initiative Network), WiN Diversity, StreetWise Program
Recs - One from supervisor, one from investment representative and one from former manager
Essays - Pretty direct for the first two and more artistic and expressive with Essay III

I have been reading the posts and wanted to include my information and let you know if I hear anything regarding admission to NYU Langone Program. I am applying for weeknights at Washington Square.

Also Drsparnum, I thought Rutgers was still taking applications until June 1. Please help me understand the process a bit. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi arruhbee:

I am a current Langone student. I began the Westchester program in Fall 2009 and would be happy to answer your questions. So fire away!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:NYU Stern/Fordham/Rutgers
GPA: 3.47
WE 1: 3 years
Send PM
langone2009

Thank you so much for joining the feed. I think a number of us are wondering how you were notified and an approximate timeline of the process last year. Can you also let us know what your GMAT and academic scores were when you applied?

I also have a few other questions. How quickly are you anticipating completing your MBA? When do you have to pick a specialization and have you done so yet? I submitted my FAFSA application and will need financial aid for the program. Do you have any insights into this process and advice on how to go about it?

Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey langone2009! Thanks for stopping by.

I share a lot of questions with BskoolHopeful so I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say on that.

I'd love to know: What were your stats when you applied? What did you write your 3rd essay about?

In terms of the actual program, how is your Core Group? Are you a member of any of the on campus clubs?

And for the actual content: How is your workload? Are there a lot of tests?

Do you work full-time? If so, do you have any tips on managing a full-time work schedule with homework, group study sessions, etc?

One year in, do you feel like Langone was the right choice? Has the coursework been relevant enough for you to apply to the workplace?

I think that is all I will ask for now!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
I applied for the May 15th deadline and was actually notified 2 weeks later on June 2nd. I got an email telling me to check my status and there was the congrats letter, which they also mailed I hard copy of. I hadn't expected to hear so soon, so didn't believe it until I got the letter. I only applied to Westchester since I live and work here.
My GMAT was 650 (98th percentile verbal, much lower quant.) I had a 2.8 GPA but I am a little older so work experience (15 years+) was a big factor, also great recs and essays. I knew my quant skills were lacking and I was pure liberal arts undergrad so took a stats class and macroeconomics class at community college while applying, got A's in both. If you have never had calculus take a course or brush up because you are going to need it, I am actually take a course now to prepare for my finance class this summer.
There is no time limit on selecting a specialization, you don't even have to choose one every one graduates with an MBA in General Management. You can have up to 3 specializations. You need to complete 9 credits of course work for each one. I am going the strategy / marketing route.
FIll out your FAFSA that is the first step to getting AID, it will go to Stern and once you are accepted they will begin figuring out which loans you qualify for. No scholarships for part time unfortunately.
I am due to graduate in May 2012, but may slow it down a little and not take classes next summer, we'll see.
Hope that answers your questions, I know wiating is the hardest part, but hopefully you'll hear good news.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi aruhbee:
Stern was definitely the right choice for me, I didn't apply anywhere else and a year in I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. Stern is stellar on the academics but there is also a great community so you can get as involved as you want to. I mentioned I'm in Westchester, but still belong to a bunch of clubs (Grad Mktg Assoc, Luxury & Retail, Stern Women in Bus.). At pre-term they do an expo of all the clubs and you can put your name on the mailing lists and meet the officers/members.
Core Groups are great, lots of opportunities for fun and bonding. I am actually the core group leader for my core. You will nominate and vote on core group leaders after pre-term. I am self employed so have a little more flexibility than others, but the great thing about Stern is you can go as slow or as fast as you want to. If people are busy at work they may take only one class that semester or some skip one of the summer sessions becasue they have travel plans or are getting married. I have a few friends in pharma who may get laid off and are planning to speed up their progression and get done sooner. Some classes have midterms and finals, others just papers/projects/presentations, it depends on the class and the professor. I'm not a big fan of tests, but that usually means less work week to week. You will pick your study group at preterm after you get to know each other... just make sure you are all on the same page about when, where, how you want to meet.
Essay #3 I wrote about a yearly party I throw. Oh and they don't share your essay #3 with your classmates.
I think that answers all of your questions. Feel free to post more or you can private message me. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
langone 2009 - we greatly appreciate your detailed input.

I have a few questions.

1) Based on the admitted students, how does you class distribution look like? I mean in terms of number of finance folks vs number of engineers vs number of small business owner vs number of folks in other professions?

2) What was the attrition like at Stern after first year?

3) Did a lot of folks receive early admission like you did by first week of June or were you out of the norm because of your impressive work experience?

4) Do you know approximately what percentage of folks are employer sponsored and what percentage of them are self sponsored?

5) Any crazy commute stories in your class?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rubystone:

1) I am not sure of class distribution, we are a good mix though. When you get accepted you will have access to a student database of your classmates as they get admitted which shows this info.

2) I also don't know attrition rate. Everyone in my core group stayed, all though some switched to classes in the city because their job moved or they waived out of core classes and were ready for electives (there is a greater selection at Washington Square). SOme people slowed down their program others sped up as I mentioned in prior post.

3) I don't know that my early admission was based on my work experience. Stern really is a holistic process so they look at the whole package including work experience, academics, GMAT, recs and extra curriculars (I had a lot of those, too), as well as essay #3. They really want to get a sense of what kind of person you are and how you will contribute to Stern. I think I was first round of acceptances, I know people who did not hear until August, so I think it just depends. I was almost reluctant to tell you guys when I got accepted because I didn't want you freaking out if you didn't hear something next week. Stern has until August to notify you, so try ot remain calm!

4) It really is a mix of employee sponsored vs self sponsored, not so much of an issue for PT as it is for EMBA. A few get full sponsorship from co, others get some reimbursement and many of us are paying for it all ourselves. I really don't think this figures into the admisisons process.

5) I am in Westchester so our class draws from Westchester, CT, the city (some work out here) and New Jersey. I think the crazy commute stories ar for the weekend folks who come in form Boston, Philly or other places.

Try to remain calm while you wait and good luck! There really is a lot of info on the stern website, so look around while you are waiting.
Have any of you guys applied to the Westchester program?
Intern
Intern
Schools:NYU Stern
Send PM
thanks for sharing, langone2009

is my understanding about core groups correct? so in total there are more than 2000 PT students? how do it work then. how large is your class?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Ukyo:
Yes your understanding of core groups is correct, 1 weekend, 1 westchester, 5 weeknight for Fall. In the spring, it's a smaller class so they only do 5 total with three weeknight.
I began Fall 2009. My year was an exception and for the first time they did 2 weekend core groups, then for spring they were back to one. I don't know what they are planning for the new Fall class. I would guess it depends on applications if they go with one or two core groups on weekends.
Yes, you are also corrective that weekends are most comepetitive only because there are fewer spots relative to the number of people who are applying and there are many like yourself who apply only to weekends. Weekends also draw from other states, so people who could not do weeknights or westchester.
Core groups generally have around 60 students in each. Fall registration is around 450 and spring around 300. If you search around the website you can ferret out a lot of this info.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
langone2009,

Thank you so much. I'm sure more thread members will come out of the woodwork with more questions, but I really wanted to thank you in advance.

I do have one last question, which may not apply to you so much since you are self-employed but maybe you have seen it with members of your Core Group. Although the website stresses that PT is better for those that want to stay within their industry (or even job function), have you seen anyone use the Stern Alumni network or even the Career Center for Working Profressionals to switch jobs either during or at the end of the program? How often has it happened? Is it relatively "easy" to do so?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
There are lots of people who switch, you just need to be proactive. You won't have acces to fulltim on campus recruiting, but CCWP is a resouirce that will help with your resume and interview skills. Also, join clubs that wre the industry you are interested in Marketing, Finance, Pharma, Media, etc. There are great conferences and speakers and wonderful networking opportunities. You aren't allowed to solicit alums, but you can get industry info from them, etc.
So you can do it, you just need to be your own advocate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any big plans for memorial day?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you langone2009.

I have sent in my application for the Fall 2010 Langone as well.
Hope to hear from Stern in the coming days regarding my application, I hope I get in.

Best of luck to everyone.

----------------

Originally posted by am2010 on 27 May 2010, 11:21.
Last edited by am2010 on 11 Jun 2010, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So if history serves true looks like the first round of results will be due in next couple of weeks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31