Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 935 [539]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [151]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [15]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, te [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sandalphon wrote:
In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is

(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that a colleague of Richard Stallman managed to win a patent on one of Kirchhoff's laws, which is an observation about the electric current that was first made in 1845 and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Grammatical Construction+ Parallelism + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple past tense is only used to refer to events that concluded in the past.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.
• A comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc.

A: Correct.This answer choice correctly modifies “one of Kirchhoff's laws” with “an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics”, conveying the intended meaning – that a colleague of Richard Stallman managed to win a patent on one of Kirchhoff's laws, which is an observation about the electric current that was first made in 1845 and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics. Further, Option A avoids the tense error seen in Option B, as it does not employ an active simple past tense verb, such as “was” in Option B. Additionally, Option A correctly uses a comma to join the independent clause “In 1995 Richard Stallman…testified...laws” and the dependent clause “an observation…physics”. Moreover, Option A correctly maintains parallelism between “first made in 1845” and “now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics”. Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb “was” to refer to information that is permanent in nature; please remember, information that is permanent in nature is best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple past tense is only used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Further, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between “which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845” and “it is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics”; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel. Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy constructions “which was an observation” and “it is now included”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the construction “namely, it was an observation about electric current”; the inclusion of “namely” leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that one of Kirchhoff's laws is an observation about the electric current that was first made in 1845 and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics. Further, Option C incorrectly uses a comma to join the independent clauses “In 1995 Richard Stallman…testified...laws” and “namely, it was an observation about electric current...physics”; please remember, a comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses a comma to join the independent clauses “In 1995 Richard Stallman…testified...laws” and “it is now included…physics”; please remember, a comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc.

E: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “that was an observation about electric current “; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that Richard Stallman's colleague managed to win a patent on that specific Kirchhoff's law that was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics; the intended meaning is that a colleague of Richard Stallman managed to win a patent on one of Kirchhoff's laws, which happens to be an observation about the electric current that was first made in 1845 and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Comma Splices" and "Run-ons" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~6 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [4]
Send PM
Re: In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, te [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
It is A.
E has wrong verb "was" for subject "that", which refers to laws.
B also has same problem as E has.
C/D are run-on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
helpmeongmat wrote:
In 1995, Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearing that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

I got this from the OG (D40 on page 96). Please provide reasons why others should be ruled out. Thanks!

C - 'namely', it was ... - awkward construction
D - ,it is .. creating 'run-on' sentense
E - that restricts the laws and wrongly used here

A, B - left

B - wordy
A - best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA is 'A'.

Just to add to the discussions:
IMO

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
--> Pronoun reference problem. 'It' can refer to electric current/laws/observation
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and --> nonsense
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is --> Similar to (b). Pronoun reference issue.
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is --> Modifier Problem. Sounds like current was made in 1865

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
B states that laws which was an observation; laws is plural and was is singular . Secondly, the pronoun it has no antecedent. Does it refer to the observation or one of the laws or the patent or what? Therefore B is ruled out
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [6]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The correct sentence:

In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The biggest thing that jumps out at me here is the word "and." Something has to be parallel with the phrase that follows the word "and." And I think we're in good shape: "... one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics." Cool, "first made in 1845" and "now included in virtually every textbook" both modify "an observation about electric current" -- and that makes perfect sense.

So let's keep (A).

Hi GMATNinja,
I'm totally lost-I can't figure out the core of this correct choice (A)! Could you help me to find out the core of this sentence?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:

I'm totally lost-I can't figure out the core of this correct choice (A)! Could you help me to find out the core of this sentence?
Thanks__

The easiest way to examine the main clause is to temporarily ignore some of the longer non-essential modifiers. The writer does us the favor of setting off some of these modifiers with commas, so we can see exactly what's crucial to the core meaning of the sentence and what's merely providing additional information.

Here's the sentence again, with the longer modifiers in red:

"Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics."

So the main clause here is simply telling us that Richard Stallman testified in hearings that one of his colleagues won a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws.

Notice the logical placement of each modifier, each right next to what it describes: "a well-known critic of the patent system" describes Richard Stallman; "to test the system" describes why the colleague won a patent; and " an observation..." describes one of Kirchhoff's laws.

I hope that helps!
Quote:

GMATNinja wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:

Thanks__

The easiest way to examine the main clause is to temporarily ignore some of the longer non-essential modifiers. The writer does us the favor of setting off some of these modifiers with commas, so we can see exactly what's crucial to the core meaning of the sentence and what's merely providing additional information.

Here's the sentence again, with the longer modifiers in red:

"Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics."

So the main clause here is simply telling us that Richard Stallman testified in hearings that one of his colleagues won a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws.

Notice the logical placement of each modifier, each right next to what it describes: "a well-known critic of the patent system" describes Richard Stallman; "to test the system" describes why the colleague won a patent; and " an observation..." describes one of Kirchhoff's laws.

I hope that helps!

Hey GMATNinja,
I did the same thing like you to find the core, but the green part from the "quote" makes me confused. Why the the green part is not written by "one of his colleagues" or by "a colleague of Richard"?

I, normally, can't write "the pillar's house"; I must write "house of the pillar". But, i can write: 1/ Richard's colleague and 2/ Colleague of Richard, both. The use of "colleague of his" is absurd to me.
Doesn't "one of his colleagues" or "colleague of Richard' makes more sense than "colleague of his". Actually, the uses of "colleague of his" is somewhat awkward to me.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Quote:
I did the same thing like you to find the core, but the green part from the "quote" makes me confused. Why the the green part is not written by "one of his colleagues" or by "a colleague of Richard"?

I, normally, can't write "the pillar's house"; I must write "house of the pillar". But, i can write: 1/ Richard's colleague and 2/ Colleague of Richard, both. The use of "colleague of his" is absurd to me.
Doesn't "one of his colleagues" or "colleague of Richard' makes more sense than "colleague of his". Actually, the uses of "colleague of his" is somewhat awkward to me.

In this case, the usage above: NOUN + OF + POSSESSIVE, is fairly standard. Think of common expressions like "a friend of mine." Nothing wrong with that. "A colleague of his" is the same construction.

But here's the broader point: try not to eliminate answer choices simply because they seem awkward. I feel your pain here. The Official Guide is full of explanations in which incorrect answers are dismissed because they're deemed "awkward". The problem with this is that what feels awkward to you might not have felt awkward to the question writer -- or to the random person writing the explanations for the publisher, often a decade or more after the original question was written. Frankly, those OG explanations misuse the word "awkward", and it's incredibly unhelpful.

Instead, try to find more concrete mistakes, such as grammatical errors and illogical meanings when whittling down your options. This way, you'll avoid having to read the mind of the question-writer. More on that general approach to SC in this article and this video.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Hi,
Can someone tell me how 'first made in 1845' modifies 'an observation about electric current' rather than just 'electric current'?

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varshikolla It's quite normal for a noun modifier to apply to an entire noun phrase, rather than just the last noun in the phrase, as long as the meaning is clear and unambiguous. This can include skipping over a prepositional modifier to apply to the preceding noun. In this case, we can be certain that electric current wasn't first made in 1845, so there's no danger of misunderstanding.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

The biggest thing that jumps out at me here is the word "and." Something has to be parallel with the phrase that follows the word "and." And I think we're in good shape: "... one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics." Cool, "first made in 1845" and "now included in virtually every textbook" both modify "an observation about electric current" -- and that makes perfect sense.

So let's keep (A).

Quote:

The "which" jumps out at me first in (B): "which was an observation..." modifies "one of Kirchoff's laws." That's OK, though we probably don't really even need the phrase "which was." It's not a big deal, but (A) is more succinct because it skips those extra couple of words. That's not a definite error, but it's a mild reason to prefer (A) over (B).

The bigger problem is the parallelism. Following the "and", we have a brand-new clause: "it is now included in virtually every textbook..." But I don't think that the clause is logically parallel to anything. And more importantly: there's no good reason to start a brand-new clause here, partly because we're just trying to describe the observation, so a simple modifier would be cleaner than a brand-new clause.

So (B) isn't a complete disaster, but it's definitely not as good as (A).

Quote:
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and

This is a classic comma splice:

• Independent clause #1: "In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws..."
  • Independent clause #2: "...it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics."

Those two independent clauses are separated by only a comma, and that's not cool. (Commas and comma splices are very briefly discussed in this YouTube video on GMAT punctuation if you're curious to learn more about that crap.) So we can eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is

(D) has basically the same comma splice problem as (C):

• Independent clause #1: "In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws..."
  • Independent clause #2: "...it is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics."

So (D) is out, too.

Quote:
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is

(E) isn't a total disaster, but it's definitely not as good as (A).

For starters, I'm not sure why we would say something like "...one of Kirchoff's laws that was an observation about electric current..." First, there's no good reason to emphasize the past tense in this case: sure, the observation was first made in the past, but there's no good reason to suggest that the law itself somehow existed only in the past -- and that's exactly what seems to be happening in (A). Second, the phrase "one of Kirchoff's laws that was an observation about electric current" suggests that Kirchoff had other laws that were NOT about electric current, and we have no idea if that's actually the case.

The other problem is the placement of the modifier "first made in 1845." This is subtle and annoying, but because "first made in 1845" is surrounded by commas (an appositive phrase, if you like grammar jargon), it seems to modify ONLY the preceding noun, "electric current." So if we think about the sentence strictly and literally, it's saying that electric current was first made in 1845, and that's really not what the sentence is trying to say -- it's trying to say that the observation was first made in 1845, not the electric current itself.

So (E) can be eliminated, and (A) is the best we can do.

Hi GMATNinja

Referring to the part in the end of your explanation that I have highlighted in bold, I feel that the same modifier issue is also in option A so why are we considering it only in option E? Also, are we not sure that "first made in 1845" can't refer to "current", which is an eternal phenomenon, and thus sure about the fact that it unambiguously refers to "observation"?

Thanks! :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
willacethis wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

So let's keep (A).

Quote:

(E) isn't a total disaster, but it's definitely not as good as (A).

For starters, I'm not sure why we would say something like "...one of Kirchoff's laws that was an observation about electric current..." First, there's no good reason to emphasize the past tense in this case: sure, the observation was first made in the past, but there's no good reason to suggest that the law itself somehow existed only in the past -- and that's exactly what seems to be happening in (A). Second, the phrase "one of Kirchoff's laws that was an observation about electric current" suggests that Kirchoff had other laws that were NOT about electric current, and we have no idea if that's actually the case.

The other problem is the placement of the modifier "first made in 1845." This is subtle and annoying, but because "first made in 1845" is surrounded by commas (an appositive phrase, if you like grammar jargon), it seems to modify ONLY the preceding noun, "electric current." So if we think about the sentence strictly and literally, it's saying that electric current was first made in 1845, and that's really not what the sentence is trying to say -- it's trying to say that the observation was first made in 1845, not the electric current itself.

So (E) can be eliminated, and (A) is the best we can do.

Hi GMATNinja

Referring to the part in the end of your explanation that I have highlighted in bold, I feel that the same modifier issue is also in option A so why are we considering it only in option E? Also, are we not sure that "first made in 1845" can't refer to "current", which is an eternal phenomenon, and thus sure about the fact that it unambiguously refers to "observation"?

Thanks! :)

The difference is that "first made in 1845" is surrounded by commas in choice (E). In (E) the comma usage leads us to believe that "first made in 1845" modifies ONLY the preceding noun.

Is that a smoking gun? No, but the correct meaning is more clear in choice (A), without the commas.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn Hmm, I wouldn't call that a rule at all--it's a tendency that one observer has noted. There are many cases in which I wouldn't expect to see this followed with "that." A simpler rule of thumb is that we should repeat "that" (or "which," or any other structuring word) when needed to clarify the meaning. So no, I wouldn't expect this to hold with B or even E. We could say "which was X and is Y" as long as our intended meaning is clear. However, we'd need a justification for the shift in tense (do I really need the "was"?) and we would of course have to ditch "it" to have parallel verbs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
varotkorn Hmm, I wouldn't call that a rule at all--it's a tendency that one observer has noted. There are many cases in which I wouldn't expect to see this followed with "that." A simpler rule of thumb is that we should repeat "that" (or "which," or any other structuring word) when needed to clarify the meaning. So no, I wouldn't expect this to hold with B or even E. We could say "which was X and is Y" as long as our intended meaning is clear. However, we'd need a justification for the shift in tense (do I really need the "was"?) and we would of course have to ditch "it" to have parallel verbs.

Dear AnthonyRitz AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY DmitryFarber GMATNinja,

Considering the highlighted part, what's wrong with E.?
(E) laws THAT WAS an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, AND IS

Originally posted by kornn on 28 Jun 2020, 00:41.
Last edited by kornn on 28 Jul 2020, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kornn wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY DmitryFarber GMATNinja,

Considering the highlighted part, what's wrong with E.?
(E) laws THAT WAS an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, AND IS
Hi kornn,

1. I agree that we shouldn't ignore the "generally" in that observation about that.

2. There are multiple issues in E. For example, the was in E is unexpected. Whatever they're discussing in this question is an observation about electric current (present tense) now included in every textbook.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts