Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Warwick Distance Learning MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Warwick Business School (WBS) DL MBA definitely the correct course of action.

Here are a few reasons:
1) International reputation and ranking of the program
2) Keep working while enrolled, managable around work and family demands
3) International focus of the WBS DL MBA
4) Calibre, experience, and world-wide nationality representation in your classmates
5) 50% of cost of upper class North American MBA, but ranked above some of those programs
6) September seminar on campus with lectures and case study application of material
7) You get the same degree as the other modes of MBA study at WBS

The salaries earned after completion are skewed because of the experience requirement prior to commencing the program. However, I believe that great advances can be made with consideration of the personal situation/industry of the WBS DLMBA student. The switching of industries, depending on the existing skill set augmented by your course work, can open some exciting possibilities.

I'd say the Warwick Business School MBA is the ticket, and if you want to switch to other modes of study later that option exists. This recommendation is after researching the options, choosing the WBS DLMBA, completion of Part A, and I am currently in Part B eyeing the finish line after I finish part C.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Dave
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Skip,

I forgot to mention the quality of the teaching staff is great and the use of WBSlive, online real time lectures and review sessions, that really help with learning the material.

Dave
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for the responses. I have two general questions:

1. What is the classroom interaction like? Do you feel as though you are studying on your own or do you have adequate interaction with the professors and other students? How is the material presented, primarily written or video presentations/lectures?

2. There seems to be great variability among MBA programmes in the analytical component. How does Warwick compare with other programmes in this area? Is it very oriented to analytics, problem solving, maths or is it more focused on the human interaction/behavioral side of management? ( I realize there will be variation between classes but what is perhaps the overall feel for the programme?)

Thank you again for considering my questions
Skip
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow Dave you were answering one of my questions while I was still formulating it. Thanks again. and kudos!
Skip
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Skip,

The Warwick MBA by distance learning is great. That is to say that all the opportunity for learning (material, contacts, tutors) is there. Like any distance learning program it is tough, because you have taken the "wise" decision to keep working and if you have a family it is even more tough. Better to forget about any social life and if you like sport, do it at 6 am.

Considering the ROI you can expect, I would say this is only up to you. You will get out what you put in, in terms of time and effort.

How well it will enable you to make your planned career change?, probably depends on what kind of change you plan to make.

Whatever happens you will get the opportunity to learn. If after 3years of study, you haven't learned anything, then you probably didn't need to do it in the first place.

Cheers, Rob
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Rob. and everyone.

I think the ROI for me is about making sure I don't get into debt getting this degree. I have a great job (thank God) and recognize that where I want to go after this training is about me giving --more likely in a nonprofit or similar venue. I have so many interests that I don't know where it will take me, but right now that seems to be the direction I am headed.

I really am excited about Warwick and just have questions now about the application process. Did you take the GMAT? (I am planning to.) How important are the letters of recommendation? What questions were you asked in the interview process etc that challenged you most?

Thanks for all the feedback. It is helping a lot.
Skip
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I think if you want to move into INGOs, you can take elective
modules from MPA (Master of Public Administration) from WBS.

For admission, you will need to provide 3 essays to convice
why you are the right one for the class. I think they will use
three essays together with your career progression: job titles,
positions, roles, pay checks, assigned countries, citizenship,
gender, undergraduate, post graduate degrees, grades, etc..

If you can provide GMAT that will be good, but I dont think
it is mandatory as GMAT is just another tool to predict that
one will do well in MBA studies. GMAT mathematics is for 13
-15 years old kids and English is biased towards native English
speakers. Essays and career profile are other indicators that
you can do well in the studies. However, I think no harm to
submit GMAT if you have one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hey Skip,

You'll need the three essays, cv, letters of reference, and transcripts from all your undergrad degrees. Unless things have changed I don't think you need to do the GMAT unless you have a spare four hours for the test. I always remember writing the LSAT twice to obtain the grade I needed, sleep the night before made all the difference since I was an undergrad in residence back then. Sometimes I think too much is placed on a four hour test that can be influenced by so many factors that have nothing to do with your real abilities.

Warwick has been great and I have a family, a job, part-time college teaching, college research project, and consult, but nothing has suffered.

The cost for me was a big plus compared to other Canadian MBA programs at about twice the price, and their's are not ranked as highly either. It has been a very good decision for me to go to Warwick. I heard that some of the people at Royal Military College here are taking some courses from Warwick as well.

Hope that helps...

Dave
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have started the application today. I will be taking the GMAT soon and hope to apply to Warwick as first choice and several other stateside MBA programs. Have you taken any of the off campus electives -HongKong, Stockholm, etc? Oh if you want to send your name, they did ask if I received recommendations from alum or current students. Just send it by private message.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Skip, good choice I don't think you will be disappointed.

I'm thinking of doing a couple of electives out of the Mannheim School of Business (Germany) as Warwick has an association with a number of schools around the world. I've done DL and will do International Marketing by online later in the year, but the two I'm thinking of doing at Mannheim will be my first face to face modules.

Dave
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
I have over 7 yrs of experience in human resources primarily in recruitment in middle east and africa region . I am filing application for warwick distance learning mba. Just curious to know if it is good for human resources professionals?

Cheers
Vin

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I'm not an HRM person myself so I don't know if I can really comment on this question. I did take Organizational Behaviour and Human Resource Management which will add theory to your practical experience, they have additional courses in change management and leadership, as well as others.

I would suggest that an MBA is for broadening your opportunities, and yourself, so all the other courses you will take will accomplish this objective, plus career progression.

Warwick Business School has been a good choice for me, for the reasons in earlier posts, plus it's the key to opening new doors of opportunity across borders, particularly with the help of classmates.

Cheers,

Dave
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
WBS distance MBA is more consistent with its delivery platform, established and has lower tuition fee than Imperial or MBS distance MBAs.

Student satisfaction is iffy at Imperial

RobBus wrote:
Have you considered the Imperial College? Check this video where a student talks about the highlights of its Distance Learning MBA program.
https://www.businessbecause.com/business ... ng-mba.htm
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How are those in North America, specifically out west finding the time difference and its effect on their learning?

I'm on the west coast on PST and I have found it tough to even speak with a recruiter just due to the time zone difference between PST and BST.

Are due date deadlines accommodating for those in different time zones, are course materials and lectures posted in a way that makes them easily accessible to those abroad?

I just have visions of being forced to do a lot of my learning from 2am-8am in the morning to try and conform with BST.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Arguable the best at the moment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I just been accepted into the Warwick MBA DL Programme. I see the last post made in this thread is almost a year back so wanted to know fresh opinions. Also how long is the programme for? 2 years or 3?

thanks alot. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Distance learning MBA from Jaro Education is s great choice. jaro Education offering 2 years distance MBA for working professionals. You will get a free tablet PC on joining.
:)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts