Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
hi everyone,
will you be informed when the recommendations are done?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
what are the disadvantages of the PT Langone program at NYU? i read some articles stating that PT students are treated like second-class citizens. is it true?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tt11234 wrote:
what are the disadvantages of the PT Langone program at NYU? i read some articles stating that PT students are treated like second-class citizens. is it true?

Second class citizens? Can you elaborate. I think everything that you read refers to the fact that NYU strictly prohibits part timers from on-campus recruiting and they make it clear upfront.

Everything else that I read makes me think NYU is a great school. Particularly the feedback from langone2009 makes it only more impressive.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
the on-campus recruiting is one of the disadvantages and the articles or blogs also mention that the PT students are discriminated by the stuff and full-time students. anyway, can you share the feedback and experiences that you have about the Langone program @ NYU? thanks!

0 states
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
tt11234,
We are NOT treated like second class citizens, at all. NYU Stern has a great sense of community and the part time student body is fully embraced. We have representation on the student government and in all clubs. We have the same faculty as the fulltime students and we all play together nicely. The administration and faculty are very receptive to us. With the exception of on campus recruiting part time students can and do participate in all activities, events, programs that full time students do. We have the Career Center for Working Professionals that is a great resource for us and we have access to job postings through clubs, etc. When I applied to Stern I figured I would go to class and that would be it, but the Stern community is very welcoming and you can't help but become involved and participate. If you get in, you will have access to everything that full-time students do, with the exception of on campus recruiting, plus the langone program does a lot with part time students in mind. Because we are working we can not alwys attend event durign the day, but are more than welcome to. Stern is a great school and experience, if you get in and can become part of it you should consider yourself lucky. I don't know that any part time program can provide the experience that stern does, certainly not the ones in the tri-state area.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
langone2009,
thanks for sharing!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tt11234 wrote:
hi everyone,
will you be informed when the recommendations are done?

Yes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:NYU Stern/Fordham/Rutgers
GPA: 3.47
WE 1: 3 years
Send PM
Anyone hear anything yet?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Apparently, the acceptances should be rolling in for some any minute now. I've read in a couple of places that that high GPA/high GMAT hear in June, mid GPA/mid-GMAT hear in early July, and then the rest hear in the final two weeks of July.

But of course that is just speculation. Just some food for thought.

If anyone has heard, make sure to post it on the thread. I think knowing that they are sending out admits will quell my nerves for a bit.

Memorial Day was so necessary for me. Kind of sad to be back at work, but it's a 4 day week. WOO-HOO!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Sorry for the double post, but I just checked my status (because I'm a mascochist) and one thing jumped at me: the page mentions that if you submitted a complete application by May 15, 2010, then you will receive a decision on or before August 1st. If not, then you're decision may be delayed.

So, how long does it take for NYU to notify that an application is incomplete? Or should we be on top of that? I didn't even know you could submit an incomplete application???
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
If your application is incomplete (which means missing transcript, recs, gmat/gre scores) you should have been notified by now.
You guys need to be careful not to pigeonhole others or yourselves by GMAT scores and GPA. Stern is truly a holistic process, they look at the whole application and the complete picture. You will see that there will be people with 700+ scores on the gmat that will ultimately be rejected. It is why the recommendations as well as extracurriculars, work experience/history and essays are so important. They actually read essay #3, they are not torturing you for nothing.
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
it's good to know that any incompleteness in the application would have been communicated by now. I guess it's going to be just waiting from now on.

Langone2009, What's the composition of the weekend batch like, experience-and-location-wise? What's the demand for the weekend option like, given the fewer number of seats? When do students get together for group activities etc?

I have talked to some alumni from several years ago, and they mentioned that some classes (not core, but desirable electives) might be available only during daytime. Will ones core-group become an issue if one registers for a daytime elective, as they could end up getting split during elective enrollments?

Another question I had - from what you have seen, what is the number/fraction of students with 10+ yeas of experience in a batch? I have read here and elsewhere that Stern does welcome candidates in that range, so I am not concerned about that being of any negative impact in the admissions. Still, it will be helpful to know in what range, etc.

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
>>They actually read essay #3, they are not torturing you for nothing.

:):) That one essay remains the same (word-limits, focus etc) across full-time and part-time applications, right?

I went through three versions of it and eliminated the ones that seemed less balanced, as far as introducing/describing myself was concerned.
I guess this one 'essay' (and answer modes) is somewhat unique to Stern, unless you count the power point required for Booth(?).

Langone2009, how does Stern review the Langone applications, if that's something you can share? Do they go through a single committee/group, or several levels of review, with each one trimming the pool progressively? Just being curious I guess.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
hi am2010,
I am just a student not an admission representative, so I really have no idea aboput the specific answers to many of your questions. A lot of your questions could be best answered if you attend an on campus info session or go for a tour and ask the admissions rep.

I do know that saturday folks tend to go to happy hours after class at 4 pm they also attend weekend and weeknight activities with everyone else. You can only graduate with a finance specialization if you want to do strictly sat classes. If you want other specializations you will have to take electives during the week, weeknight classes are offered at night from 6-9 Mon-Thurs. The daytime classes are for fulltime students and they get priority for those, so you would probably have to wait for add-drop to get into those on a space available basis, but you will have no problem getting into weeknight classes.

Re: core groups, weekend is one core group, westchester is another and then there are 5 cores for weeknight classes. You will only take your core classes with your core group, and even after a semester you may start to separate since people waive out of certain core classes based on undergrad major, proficiency exams, etc. That is part of grad school new classes with new people that expand your network beyond the 60 in your core.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
langone 2009.

So is weekend program only suitable for folks interested in pursuing career in finance?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
No, the weekend program is suited for anyone. As I've already said, if you want a specialization other than finance you will have to take some of your electives at night during the week which most weekenders do eventually.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thank you langone2009. The last couple of posts did answer a fair bit of my questions. I had attended an info session in NYC a while back and received answers to a different set of questions. Most of the Stern research and therefore the more detailed yet optional questions came later.

regards,
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31