Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Re: Practice GMAT 640, real GMAT 510, 510 [#permalink]
What materials did you use?
How did you study?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took a course in June 2009 which did not help much. I then studied on my own with the course material and using OG 12.

After my first attempt, started studying after month and I used MGMAT books and studied on my own. I also used OG 12 and the OG Verbal and Quant books.

I studied about 2 - 3 hours a day and a about 4-6 on the weekend. I took all the MGMAT tests and did the GMAT prep tests 2 times.

When I got to the testing center, everything seemed to have mushed together and I could not recognize anything on the screen.

While I was under my time during my practice test, I was very over the time during the actual test and had to guess at the end.
Manager
Manager
ostl2010 wrote:
I took a course in June 2009 which did not help much. I then studied on my own with the course material and using OG 12.

After my first attempt, started studying after month and I used MGMAT books and studied on my own. I also used OG 12 and the OG Verbal and Quant books.

I studied about 2 - 3 hours a day and a about 4-6 on the weekend. I took all the MGMAT tests and did the GMAT prep tests 2 times.

When I got to the testing center, everything seemed to have mushed together and I could not recognize anything on the screen.

While I was under my time during my practice test, I was very over the time during the actual test and had to guess at the end.

did you have all 8 of the books?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yes all eight =/
Manager
Manager
ostl2010 wrote:
yes all eight =/

how many times did you read the SC and CR books?

how many times did you go over the quant problems advised at the end of the math books?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I did everything once
Manager
Manager
ostl2010 wrote:
I did everything once

well thats not enough

your not going to grasp the concepts going over things once :beat

verbal: you have to read and re-read those books along with doing quality (not quantity) problems

quant: you have to go over the selected OG problems over and over again until you master them
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I agree, you have to put more effort into your studying, especially since your score is rather low. And though it seems that you've studied, the question is how much quality time did you actually spent on your preparation.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey HI ostl2010,
Its really bad to see ur condition but my suggestion would be dont apply for R3 with this score I dont think you will be encouraged anywhere though I dont know ur profile.There is still a lot of time for 2011 so dont lose hope & start with your preparation even now so that you dont miss 2011 also.
I do understand your situation but there's no harm in giving a try for the 3rd time & all the universities take the highest score so give it ur best shot I am sure u can do really well.
& Gmat is not the end of this world you can ceratinly check some other way out for ur MBA.
All the Best.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thank you for the support everyone. GMAC just contacted me and said I could reschedule my GMAT free of charge. I forgot to mention earlier that there was a girl violently coughing the whole time during the actual GMAT and it made me really lose my focus.

R3 for INSEAD is July 28th. I am still debating whether I should go for it. There are limited seats and limited scholarships and I am mentally and emotional exhausted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
^^^

It looks like you simply just wasn't doing your best on test day. I found that the GMATPrep is a very good indicator of my practice and actual mark. Be it I almost didn't study at all and should've tried much harder.

Go for the retest and we'll be expecting your good news.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Bad news. I went for the retest and got a 540 (33Q 30V).

I took the GMAT Prep tests and scored 650 both times; highest: (47Q and 36V)
I went back over the NP MGMAT, SC MGMAT, CR MGMAT 2 times.
I did all the OG12 problems for the 3rd and kept an error log which showed 80% - 100% "correctly answered" from Quant to Verbal
I used the MGMAT companion for all the Quant questions and re did all the wrong questions until I got them right.

During the test I was completely confident during the math part and thought I did well. I did have to guess on the last 3 questions; same with verbal... guessed the last 3.

I am completely burned out. I can't believe I have been trying to get through this for 1 year.

Can't seem to get out of bed now =/.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
ostl2010,

Look at this way. You did something right which is why you scored 30 points higher this time. That is an improvement.

'Why do we fall Sir?'
'So we might learn to pick ourselves up'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3uAiGqZ7Y
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Hey ostl2010, sometimes these things happen. I think you should just get a life for now, go out and have fun. Don't even think of the scores you got. Don't bother about school application deadlines or whatever. Just forget everything for a little while.
When you do think of getting back and writing the GMAT (which I think you should) do not even refer to your past scores. It will only serve to pull you down. Look ahead, the past is done, the future is what you can create.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
People on this forum generally believe, that GMATPrep is a pretty good predictor of the real GMAT score. It means that if you did well on GMATPrep, chances are that you already have all the skills and knowledge necessary to score 600+ on real tests.
It looks to me like you were studying very diligently before the tests. If I were you, I would take long break form studying, and let my brain rest. I took long break in the middle of my GMAT preparations and my GMATPrep score went up 100 pts.
And I would make sure not to take actual test in the last moment. You do not need additional stress on the test day. Do not try to get 600+ so hard as well. Just prepare well and do your very best answering each question. Sooner or later you will get the score you need, because there is no limitation on the number of times you can take the test :). And after each time you will benefit from additional real test experience.
And try to do better on your prep tests. Chances are you will always do worse on the actual test, because you are one of the people (like me) who do not handle well stress involved in taking tests. So if 100 pts is the stress factor you have to deduct from your practice test score in order to arrive at the actual GMAT score on the test day, save your money and do not schedule next test until you get 700+ on your practice test.
Best luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
ostl2010 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Bad news. I went for the retest and got a 540 (33Q 30V).

I took the GMAT Prep tests and scored 650 both times; highest: (47Q and 36V)
I went back over the NP MGMAT, SC MGMAT, CR MGMAT 2 times.
I did all the OG12 problems for the 3rd and kept an error log which showed 80% - 100% "correctly answered" from Quant to Verbal
I used the MGMAT companion for all the Quant questions and re did all the wrong questions until I got them right.

During the test I was completely confident during the math part and thought I did well. I did have to guess on the last 3 questions; same with verbal... guessed the last 3.

I am completely burned out. I can't believe I have been trying to get through this for 1 year.

Can't seem to get out of bed now =/.

Hi ostl2010

Sorry to hear about your score...but dude don't get depressed or discouraged.
failing in GMAT is not an end to life.... that too when its just an dumb computer algorithim, nothing else
The GMAT is not an test of inteligence..so think it this way..

and you won't believe I myself have given this test 5 times and my highest score is 600..and in no way I am dumb or stupid.. What I would suggest is leave this **** for a while and enjoy liffeeee. Come back again and analyse what are your weak areas and your strong areas.

Then work upon your weak areas and practice regularly..
I am sure you will achieve your desired score...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts