Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.8
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
B-School Application Resumes [#permalink]
In the suggestion to write a good resume, it is mentioned that the resume should start with the Education details and then the work experience. But i have seen different suggestion on different forums of gmatclub. Some says that we should with work experience and then move on to education. Can someone please help me to understand which one is correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: B-School Application Resumes [#permalink]
Here are few salient points to keep in mind while writing your resume for MBA Application. Full post here

1. Try to quantify
2. Talk about results your have achieved. Focus on words like “resulting” which will tell the selectors that your work has helped to achieve a certain result. You might like to include something like: Deployed a mobile app for the company, resulting in 10% increase in the internal communication and 25% increase in the salesforce engagement through the app.
3. Articulate it well and keep the points concise and to the point . Always keep it in mind that you have to tell them your story but in such a way that they can understand you as a person and get to see what you bring to the school.
4. Always about people. Show the adcom that you are team player

The Format

Font
Avoid fancy fonts, and instead stick to old-school fonts.Going for size 10 Times New Roman is always going to be safe. Calibri is also a good option as it gives a cleaner look.

Top of your resume
Have your name and contact information placed clearly at top of the resume. Include your email address, mailing address and your contact number. Try to to fit all the contact information in one line. If per chance your resume goes onto a second page, include your name and contact address in the second page as well.

Length of the resume
Keep everything short and precise. Keeping your resume restricted to one page is highly recommended as it helps the officer to scan through your life achievements quickly and easily.

Margins
Maintain atleast 0.7 overall margin. Presence of white space makes it easier to skim through the resume which most evaluators are going to do.

Typos. Avoid them.

Read the full post here
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
B-School Application Resumes [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anshuverma88 wrote:
In the suggestion to write a good resume, it is mentioned that the resume should start with the Education details and then the work experience. But i have seen different suggestion on different forums of gmatclub. Some says that we should with work experience and then move on to education. Can someone please help me to understand which one is correct?

anshuverma88, thanks for a great question! Which comes first- the education or the work experience on an MBA resume? And the answer is.... truly it can be either- it somewhat depends on what plays to your strengths. If you went to Harvard undergrad and have a 3.8 GPA there, you might want to lead with education. If you work now at McKinsey in consulting and you went to XXX not well known state college with a GPA of 3.0 or less (I realize not a likely combo for working at McKinsey :) - but you get the idea), then lead with the work experience.

Having read thousands of resumes for MBA admissions, I can promise you the order that you put it in will not be the deciding factor! It will be the quality of the stuff on the resume! So get your accomplishments listed and have metrics to support key accomplishments, work on highlighting involvement in college if you have it, etc. play to your strengths!

If you are looking for R1 2017 applications, now is a great time to do serious work on your resume. We offer hourly coaching or even full packages that include resume review as part of the package and you can work with your counselor to go through as many iterations as needed to get your resume up to snuff for R1. To learn more how Stratus can help, go to this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much for the response. I will definitely consider stratus for the help. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have another question on the work experience section of the resume. Can we include the awards and recognitions that we have received while working in the resume?
GMAT Club Bot