Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:CBS 2012
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Kellogg 2013
 Q44  V50
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Financing vs. Cash -- how much cash to use? [#permalink]
I'd like to append another question to this one - can anyone share an estimated cost of "other expenses" at b-school? By that I mean outside tuition, housing and food. The gist I get from talking to friends is that it's an expensive two years, between nightly events, trips over winter and spring break, etc. Obviously many of these costs are optional, but if I choose to take advantage of them it would make me more inclined to borrow more for tuition and housing in order to have more cash for things like this, but I'm not really sure how high the cost might go.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I took my school's cost of a attendance breakdown and put it in a spreadsheet, then I estimated what I thought I would spend for that category each week and multiplied it out over a year (rather than 9 months) and added a percentage buffer to get my expected living costs. For the second year, I assumed a 5% tuition increase and a COL increase. Then on top of that, I added costs for school trips, computer, moving costs, etc. I'm going to pay as much cash as I can, so I'm basically leaving a small safety net, applying the rest of my cash, and then taking the remaining in loans. I erred on the side of caution (estimating too much), so that I wouldn't risk taking out too little in loans. Also, I'll be able to see how it went after the first year and take out more/less for the second as appropriate.

I compared the estimates I came up with from my Quicken cash flows and they actually matched up okay, so hopefully my estimates will be good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I would finance some if not all COA. There are tons of opportunities to travel and participate in activities etc that all cost and you don't want to not take advantage of these just because you wanted to save a little money on the interest. Perhaps finance COA for the first year to be safe see how that goes and then make a decision about what you want to do the second year based on that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS
Send PM
I'd also recommend maxing out CoA. Frankly, "Cash is King", and you'll enjoy having the money to backup all the 'once in a lifetime' opportunities that school offers.
Intern
Intern
Schools:CBS 2012
Send PM
Tons of excellent advice. Thank you all, truly.

Here's what I've decided to do:
-- Per skaballet and bwizzle's thoughts, will finance all COA for the first year.
-- Will finance most of it through gov't loans, but will try to finance a significant portion of it through private loans. Private loans are deferred interest, and will be the size of about 50% of my cash reserves. That way, if interest rates go up significantly after I graduate, I can pay them off immediately with cash, and the net balance of the transaction is that it will have saved me a few thousand in interest payments (assuming no significant prepayment penalties).
-- Will re-evaluate cash reserves when I finance my second year. At that point, I will know the accuracy of my previous cost estimates (a la highhopes), so if I have any degree of confidence in my new estimates I will consider using the other (non-allocated) half of my cash.

Re: tt11234's question about what I'm doing with my cash... Certainly, there are a lot of options. I just don't find them terribly compelling, especially since I don't have a strong finance background. Investing in equities with a one-year time horizon isn't exactly a slam dunk these days (double dip, anyone?). Given how conservatively I'd want to invest this cash, I don't think I'd go for corporate bonds, and the yield rate on a one-year T-bill isn't much better than money market and CD rates. I know this is more of a question for a financial adviser, but happy to hear any other suggestions ;)

Good luck everyone...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
You might want to consider the cash cushion/reserve on value beyond just 'you beeating the 7.9% fixed rate in your portfolio' but also think of it as, if you have the cash, you can buy a condo sooner, deal with life emergencies, etc.
GMAT Club Bot