Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Re: how far is too far for school visits? [#permalink]
Uhm not Keanan either, try again ;>
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
12 hour drive is definitely excusable for not visiting. Since Duke allows self-initiated interviews, and you need to interview to get admitted, maybe you can kill two birds with one stone - visit and interview. This way you won't have any doubts.

Good luck.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
yeah, 12 is a bit too far. IMO, i think anything less than 4 hrs (i.e. NY to Boston) is fair game for traveling to the school at least once to show interest
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I guess I don't know your financial situation but plane tickets aren't really that expensive...that 12 hour drive is at most a 1.5 hour flight. I live in the midwest and visited Darden, Duke, Columbia in addition to all of those in the midwest...
Current Student
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
I guess I don't know your financial situation but plane tickets aren't really that expensive...that 12 hour drive is at most a 1.5 hour flight. I live in the midwest and visited Darden, Duke, Columbia in addition to all of those in the midwest...

i did check plane and its about 200$ for 3.5hr plane ride. with rental hotel prob 300$ish. I get crap for vaca days (~1 day/month) as well. Major thing is probably me trying to juggle vacation time for visits to closer schools and saving for family stuff (like thanksgiving, xmas etc.).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
12 hours isn't much domestically. If it means that much to you, I think the plane ticket cost is worth it. Especially this early in the game, you have tons of flexibility for buying a ticket based on price as opposed to paying for a last-minute ticket.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)
Send PM
Spent/wasted a bunch to visit and interview at Tuck. If it's important, you'll find a way to get where you need to.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:

i did check plane and its about 200$ for 3.5hr plane ride. with rental hotel prob 300$ish. I get crap for vaca days (~1 day/month) as well. Major thing is probably me trying to juggle vacation time for visits to closer schools and saving for family stuff (like thanksgiving, xmas etc.).

Duke has an open interview period (October) that has availability on Saturdays if you sign up early enough. You could then fly in Friday night (after work), interview/tour/show interest on Saturday and fly out Saturday night or stick around and fly out Sunday night if you want to get a better feel for Durham. Then, no vacation wasted, and EXTREMELY cheap visit plus you got your interview in(trust me, $300 total is not a bad cost).
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
ACNguy wrote:

don't forget that for many schools, if you do get an interview invite, you'll likely have to make the trip back to campus again to interview. and while phone interviews are ok in some situations, the school might wonder why you made the trip to visit them, but not to interview, which is arguably more important to do in person.

if you could bang out all (visit the school, city, and interview) during the same trip, it would be worth it as ACNguy posted above
Current Student
Send PM
yeah i think i might do that. I might even visit Kenan while I am there since they are petty close.

A bit off topic - for those schools like duke where they can invite you for interview and you can request for interview - does it matter consideration wise if i wait for them to offer vs just going there to do it? I guess the worst case scenario is bombing the interview which gets me a ding right away vs feeling good about the invite then bomb and get dinged?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
yeah i think i might do that. I might even visit Kenan while I am there since they are petty close.

A bit off topic - for those schools like duke where they can invite you for interview and you can request for interview - does it matter consideration wise if i wait for them to offer vs just going there to do it? I guess the worst case scenario is bombing the interview which gets me a ding right away vs feeling good about the invite then bomb and get dinged?

Schools want you to do the self-initiated interview, it shows interest and passion for the school. You will NOT be at a disadvantage if you self-initiate the interview. You're simply taking one more variable out of the equation (actually being invited).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
 Q47  V40
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Marketing
Send PM
Don't ever visit a school without at least an interview invite. Its a complete waste of time and money and does not factor into your application AT ALL. If its within 4-5 hours driving distance, then maybe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
crazy question but,

anyone try to visit kellogg and booth the same day?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ozzy10fl wrote:
Don't ever visit a school without at least an interview invite. Its a complete waste of time and money and does not factor into your application AT ALL. If its within 4-5 hours driving distance, then maybe.

I wouldn't say it's a complete waste; the experience can add a personal touch to essays, which is turn shows effort on your part. At the least I'd get in touch with a current student to pickup some quotes and program-specific themes.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
lbird33 wrote:
ozzy10fl wrote:

I wouldn't say it's a complete waste; the experience can add a personal touch to essays, which is turn shows effort on your part. At the least I'd get in touch with a current student to pickup some quotes and program-specific themes.

What would the best way of contacting students be? I have tried LinkedIn and Facebook messaging and even shooting a couple of emails. But a lot of the current students seem reluctant to respond to these. Would attending the lunch program (like at HBS) be a good idea?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I was 11.5 hours away and I visited twice. :) I think you should do your interview together with the visit to get the most out of your trip.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
lbird33 wrote:
ozzy10fl wrote:

What would the best way of contacting students be? I have tried LinkedIn and Facebook messaging and even shooting a couple of emails. But a lot of the current students seem reluctant to respond to these. Would attending the lunch program (like at HBS) be a good idea?

The lunch program would probably work but I can't speak from experience, as I didn't have the chops for HBS. I went through friends-of-friends and received some good, unbiased feedback on my candidacy and the school. They can give you hints on what aspects to really stress in your application and I would weave a quote into my essays (usually in response to "Why this school?" or "What will you bring?" questions) to show I had taken some time to understand both. Just my opinion.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2