Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Did you find the debrief useful to your gmat preparation?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: 660 (Delhi) to 740 (Bangkok) [#permalink]
Congrats, very nice debrief. Your perseverance has paid off well.

Good luck ahead, keep us updated by sharing your progress.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kudos

Also, thank you for the Knewton feedback! Did you feel it helped or not really?
I could not quite extract the final verdict from your review.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Congratulations. Your focus and discipline is impressive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
anubhavjain03, congratulations on your achievement and thanks for your very informative report. Could you please answer a couple of additional questions:

1) How tired were you after work and how did you deal with that?
2) What was the quality of your studying after work?
3) You mentioned that you studied at your work place. If you were disturb, how did you get back into the rhythm?
4) You studied for almost 6 months if I'm not mistaken. Was there a time when you felt like burning out? If so, how did you deal with that?
5) Did you take notes while studying?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
anubhavjain03, congratulations on your achievement and thanks for your very informative report. Could you please answer a couple of additional questions:

1) How tired were you after work and how did you deal with that?

I used to be mentally exhausted after work. So, I would eat food early and then take a nap in my room to refresh myself and then study.
If I took a nap for 30 min, then I could study till 12 am comfortably without feeling enervated.
If I did not sleep, I used to feel very exhausted and could not study with much focus.
Sleep or power nap is so important for me.
I did not push myself too much as I knew that I better work slowly and steadily than slog heavily during weekends.

2) What was the quality of your studying after work?

Work days focussed more on taking tests and building stamina. Weekends - review tests and build fundamentals. Reason for this was because if I studied during week days, I would feel asleep or distracted.

3) You mentioned that you studied at your work place. If you were disturb, how did you get back into the rhythm?

As I only studied for 1 hour during lunch time, if I lost rhythm for some reason, I could not go back to normal. So, I took a longer nap and then tried to start my work early. As and when I could get time during work, I would study (but this was limited due to my work pressure).

4) You studied for almost 6 months if I'm not mistaken. Was there a time when you felt like burning out? If so, how did you deal with that?

A lot of times. That is why in end of March I got little panicked and decided to take Knewton course. It helped me get more serious as I spend a lot of money.

I was also losing focus during last 2 weeks. So, I focussed more on taking test and building stamina.

During my study period, one thing I realized was that whenever I spend time thinking what I need to study before my study time, I would end up not studying. So, what I did was everyday in the morning I would decide what I should study - made a weekly plan on google calendar and set it on sms alert. So, Whenever I would get a sms, I will just start doing what sms said. No further thinking.

5) Did you take notes while studying?

heavily depended on error log. It really helped me when I made my notes on error log; improved my retention.

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
anubhavjain03, thank you for answering my questions. I understand that you are not a native speaker. What did you study besides SC (you mentioned reading The Economist)? Did you study grammar for foreign students or something like that?

Also, what notes did you take and how detailed were your notes? Could you describe that more? I still don't know if I should take notes or not. It seems to me that it's a huge waste of time and that it's not that productive. Most concepts are rather easy to grasp. I took notes at university a lot but that was different: the material was obviously much more complicated than the GMAT. So how did you approach that?

Did you study continually, or did you have days when you didn't study at all?

My final question is regarding various "life" distractions like problems at work, heavy work load, neighbors fighting etc. How did you deal with that (I mean getting back to the learning zone) and getting your thoughts together?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nonameee wrote:
anubhavjain03, thank you for answering my questions. I understand that you are not a native speaker. What did you study besides SC (you mentioned reading The Economist)? Did you study grammar for foreign students or something like that?

Manhattan SC was more than sufficient for me. I have studied in English medium school and college so English is my "nearly native" language. Also, because I work with a lot of Thais, Phillipoinos and Chinese, so English is the only language we communicate in.

I read the following religiously:
1. The economist - reread again and again because I felt the language and passages were so gmat like.
2. New York times - opinion section - would read it as and when time available

I just focussed on reading limited no of good quality materials.

Also, what notes did you take and how detailed were your notes?

Just made pointers and bullet points on excel sheets. If I wrote too much, then I could not study further and felt bored and sleepy. I kept my notes to minimum so that it can remind me of my mistakes. Too detailed notes were a big waste of time for me.

Could you describe that more? I still don't know if I should take notes or not. It seems to me that it's a huge waste of time and that it's not that productive. Most concepts are rather easy to grasp. I took notes at university a lot but that was different: the material was obviously much more complicated than the GMAT. So how did you approach that?

same as what I have described above.

Did you study continually, or did you have days when you didn't study at all?

Oh there were days when I could not study for 2-4 days in a stretch. In order to cover up this gap, I would sometimes take leave from office to study whole day. This is where my weekly plan helped me get more disciplined with my study.

My final question is regarding various "life" distractions like problems at work, heavy work load, neighbors fighting etc. How did you deal with that (I mean getting back to the learning zone) and getting your thoughts together?

1. Told all my friends how important this exam was and therefore to forgive me if I did not socialize with them. Most of them understood and respected. Those who did not - I realized were not my friends anyway.
2. I was lucky that I did not get too much external distractions such as loud music, parties etc.
3. Work pressure was obviously a big distraction. Just decided to fight it and work more efficiently. I delegated most of my work and asked my friends to secretly share my work for some time - especially during 1-2 weeks before exam. You need to have good friends or colleagues at work who are willing to help you when in need.

I will write more on the following:

1. How I maximized my return on official materials?
2. How I improved my RC skills?
3. How I kept myself motivated?

Please let me know if you have any other questions in mind.

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your very detailed answers. It'd be great if you could answer the questions you wrote:

I will write more on the following:

1. How I maximized my return on official materials?
2. How I improved my RC skills?
3. How I kept myself motivated?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Excellent debrief and replies. Thanx much!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Congrats! Great Job
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell AMBA, Kellogg, Oxford, Cambridge
Send PM
Congrats and Thanks for such an excellent debrief and replies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
congratulations for your excellent score. Hope you get into your desired school. Excellent debrief too.

When you mentioned $80 savings regarding gmat club tests in connection with Knewton, did you get the tests free because you joined Knewton? I dint exactly get that part of your calculation. can you please explain.

Thank you in anticipation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
gmat-courses-discounts-and-special-discount-codes-89957.html

Check this link out jinxed. It has information about how you can get the GMAT Club tests for free.

If you enroll in Knewton or Veritas or Manhattan Review, you get the GMAT Club tests for free. Alternatives would be: 90 days membership + 200 posts/50 kudos.

jinxed wrote:
congratulations for your excellent score. Hope you get into your desired school. Excellent debrief too.

When you mentioned $80 savings regarding gmat club tests in connection with Knewton, did you get the tests free because you joined Knewton? I dint exactly get that part of your calculation. can you please explain.

Thank you in anticipation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
A quick question. Where can i find the Gmatprep SC question bank mentioned above?.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
It's called 1000SC I believe, and I think it's all copyrighted material. I don't know if you're able to download that anymore.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts