Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [74]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [71]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [20]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: How many different 5-person teams can be formed from a group [#permalink]
HI AbhayPrasanna.. Thanks for the reply...

I understood the first half but I dont follow your explanation of 'the only non-unique solution will be for the "r" in nCr eg. (8C3 = 8C5) but for n not equal to m, nCr can never be equal to mCr' ...

How do you know (x+2) C 5 = 126 is computable
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
I agree with GmatJP...but I think we need to assume that whatever is given in the options is assumed to be true.So the x has to have an integral value.
But my concern is..what if the polynomial equation so formed of degree 5 have multiple solutions. In that case, the options fails to answer the situation.

@Abhayprasanna : The logic is correct and infact I also choose D going by the same logic.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel supplied an awesome and exhaustive mathematical algebraic explanation. Perhaps it will be of benefit to review the concept verbally as well.

8C5 = 8C3 because everytime we pull a subgroup of 5 objects from the bigger group of 8, we can see that we are also "setting aside" a subgroup of 3. Likewise, everytime we pull out a subgroup of 3, we also set aside a subgrup of 5. So, the number of ways we can pull out 5 object subgroups must be the same as the number of ways we can pull out 3 object subgroups.

But if there are 126 ways to pull 5 objects from a big group "x + 2", then "x+2" must be just one value. If it were not, then it would imply that increasing or decresing the size of the big group doesn't necessarily affect how many ways you can pull out a smaller subgroup--surely an absurd conclusion. Absurd because clearly there are more ways to pull 5 objects out of a set of 100 than out of a set of, say, 10.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello to all,

Can any1 pls explain the calculation in a bit more simplier way. I didn't get how,

3Cx+1 =56 and how, 5Cx+2 = 126 ?

Thnx
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
priyalr wrote:
Hello to all,

Can any1 pls explain the calculation in a bit more simplier way. I didn't get how,

Thnx

# of ways to pick \(k\) objects out of \(n\) distinct objects is \(C^k_n=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!*k!}\).

# of ways to pick 3 people out of x+1 people is \(C^3_{(x+1)}=\frac{(x+1)!}{(x+1-3)!*3!}=\frac{(x+1)!}{(x-2)!*3!}\). Now, since \((x+1)!=(x-2)!*(x-1)*x*(x+1)\) then \((x-2)!\) get reduced and we'll have: \(\frac{(x-1)*x*(x+1)}{3!}\). We are told that this equals to 56: \(\frac{(x-1)*x*(x+1)}{3!}=56\) --> \((x-1)x(x+1)=3!*56=6*7*8\) --> \(x=7\).

You can apply similar logic to \(C^5_{(x+2)}=126\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Bunuel,

Can you please confirm if my understanding is correct?

(x+1)!= 3 consecutive numbers (x-1) x (x+1)
(x+3)!= Basically 7 consecutive numbers i.e. (x-3) (x-2) (x-1) x (x+1) (x+2) (x+3)
(x+2)!= 5 consecutive numbers i.e. (x-2) (x-1) x (x+1) (x+2)

Bunuel wrote:
priyalr wrote:
Hello to all,

Thnx

# of ways to pick \(k\) objects out of \(n\) distinct objects is \(C^k_n=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!*k!}\).

# of ways to pick 3 people out of x+1 people is \(C^3_{(x+1)}=\frac{(x+1)!}{(x+1-3)!*3!}=\frac{(x+1)!}{(x-2)!*3!}\). Now, since \((x+1)!=(x-2)!*(x-1)*x*(x+1)\) then \((x-2)!\) get reduced and we'll have: \(\frac{(x-1)*x*(x+1)}{3!}\). We are told that this equals to 56: \(\frac{(x-1)*x*(x+1)}{3!}=56\) --> \((x-1)x(x+1)=3!*56=6*7*8\) --> \(x=7\).

You can apply similar logic to \(C^5_{(x+2)}=126\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
manjeet1972 wrote:
Bunuel,

(x+3)!= Basically 7 consecutive numbers i.e. (x-3) (x-2) (x-1) x (x+1) (x+2) (x+3)

[/quote]

Plug in numbers yourself. let x = 4, so you have (4+1)! = 5! = 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1. But if x = 219739218731927 then you have a lot more terms.

Instead, try to compare things logically. Say you have (x+1)! / (x-4)! ...now what happens normally for simplifying factorials? If you have 11!/6! then it's 11 * 10 * 9 * 8 * 7. You go down by 1 term until you hit the denominator and remove. Same concept.

So now (x+1)! = (x+1) * x * (x-1) * (x-2) * (x-3) * (x-4) ...until you reach the end. But since we know the denominator is (x-4)! then we only have to go up to (x+1) * x * (x-1) * (x-2) * (x-3) on the numerator. Once you simplify the factorials, you can line them up like how Bunuel did and match it with the expanded form of (5!)(126) which would take a while to flat out compute but you just need to determine if it's solvable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Good explanation. Through practice I will learn.

Injuin wrote:
manjeet1972 wrote:
Bunuel,

Plug in numbers yourself. let x = 4, so you have (4+1)! = 5! = 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1. But if x = 219739218731927 then you have a lot more terms.

Instead, try to compare things logically. Say you have (x+1)! / (x-4)! ...now what happens normally for simplifying factorials? If you have 11!/6! then it's 11 * 10 * 9 * 8 * 7. You go down by 1 term until you hit the denominator and remove. Same concept.

So now (x+1)! = (x+1) * x * (x-1) * (x-2) * (x-3) * (x-4) ...until you reach the end. But since we know the denominator is (x-4)! then we only have to go up to (x+1) * x * (x-1) * (x-2) * (x-3) on the numerator. Once you simplify the factorials, you can line them up like how Bunuel did and match it with the expanded form of (5!)(126) which would take a while to flat out compute but you just need to determine if it's solvable.[/quote]
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [3]
Send PM