Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [1094]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Reading well can make major improvements in your intelligence , Vocabulary , ideas base , emotional intelligence and your experience of the universe. here we look at some major basic ideas which can make a difference in your reading skills and therfore your ability to comprehend information quickly and accurately. The post is targetted at a test taker and thus the techniques and ideas that are discussed here are specific to expository text , i.e the kind of text you will see in the tests like CAT , GMAT , and other major general aptitude tests.

passages and texts in these tests are typically context less, i.e there is no headline like the way there is in a newspaper , the headline in the newspaper articles sets up the subject for us and even before you read the first line your brain has already localized the information and prepped you for further exploration. Your neurons dealing with the subject matter and related ideas are triggered quick and fast enabling smoother assimilation of information.

Some articles in a newspapers are continued ideas like a story going on for a few days , the newspapers which of course makes reading easier still since besides the neurons activated now the neurons needs were probably just activated the day before and thus being faster , to alight to work on the information. Following a test match of cricket interested readers will read one article after the other without any issues. Simple science so far.

Plus a story goes like our experience of time so that much easier to handle stories, movies , comics are all stories. Any continued bit of information your brain build its own story.

However in the exams following things change making it tougher than your usual paper reading.

1. no headlines , no story , no continuation , you have to read before you even figure out what’s going on
2. subject matter not of preference and liking , somebody who likes cricket does not like finance , somebody who lies finance does not understand history somebody who loves history struggles with philosophy and so on and so forth.
3. time pressure : the clock is ticking and you are not sitting on your pot and the passage
4. The Quality of text goes up :Newspapers are for the masses and the usage of language is colloquial to say the best, but more esoteric matters may be presented using words that you have not heard of or ideas that you are aware of .
5. here are questions: Specific , pointed , questions , checking fact/opinion distinction , ability to look for details , ability to see patterns in text , ability to analyze arguments make deductions , notice elements of style , speculate .

This is why that poor readers just find themselves out of their depths in quality english tests and even regular ficion/newspaper reader struggle to ace the subject. And let us tell you that it is an aceable subject.

Skilled readers however will manage fairly easily no matter what text presents itself. The need is to separate the skill from the habit. This is not to say that regular reading will not make a difference. parts of The skills required to overcome the above are bit by bit built and get developed automatically and the skill level should be almost directly proportional to the exposure. As mentioned earlier regular readers do fair better than poor readers for this very reason. remember it takes regular reading of couple of years at least to develop even sufficient skills.

Core reading skills however can be learnt fairly quickly by focusing on the broad major ideas that go into effective analytical reading. Post learning the core skills regular reading will work in an exponential manner in improving your skills and exam handling ability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [9]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
What is Reading Comprehension ?

Understanding a written text means extracting the required information from it as effectively as possible. "Required information" depends on what we are reading and why we are reading. For example , the approached used while looking for 'computer peripherals" in the classified section would be very different from the one used in reading a harry potter novel. That is we automatically and without too much formal training use multiple reading strategies depending on what we are reading and why we are reading it.

What Do we Read ?

* Newspapers and Magazines (headlines, articles, editorials , opinions , classifieds , score cards, tv/movie listings)
* Specialized articles , reports , reviews , essays , business letters
* Handbook ,Textbook guidebooks
* Novels , short stories, tales , other literary texts and passages
* Advertisements , Brochures, Catalogues
* Recipies , how to instructions , posters , road signs , graffiti, menus , price lists , tickets and so much more.

Why we Read :

1. Reading for pleasure and general information, to keep your self updated with the world , novels , books , articles on your interest areas.
2. Reading for Specific information , looking for specific answers or reading from the point of view of analysis (exam reading)

how we read ?

Extensive reading : Reading longer texts like Novels , short stories for your own pleasure. Typically this is a fluency activity and the focus is on global understanding that is following the major elements of the story with sometimes a lot of detail only at the periphery of active focus. Though the details are not at the center of focus the overall data is going into the brain in a sequential , chornological manner and so memeory is of some significance her. Not remembering what happened in prisoner of Azkaban will be of some hindrance in reading latter Harry Potter books.

Intensive reading: Reading shorter texts to extract specific information. This is an accuracy activity with focus on detailsas well as global understanding , however memory is associated only till the act of intensive reading i.e you can read , analyze and forget the text.

Skimming :Quickly running one's eye over the text to gather the subject , general topic , global idea. This is what you do typically with newspapers in the first run through before you decide what articles to read and in what order.

Scanning: Quickly going through a text to find a specific piece of information , this is what you do when you look for a specific dal in the classifieds, much like the skill required to go through a dictionary .

The strategies are not mutually exclusive with each other and often work with each other and are needed to work together if one needs total control over his reading skills. For example while reading an exciting novel the reader would often skim through parts of the story and use extensive reading only in the portions that really excite the reader. Or while reading intensively one might need to go back a couple of paragraphs to better understand the data or answer a question and the reader would use his scanning skills to look for the general area of that information.

Specific Skills involved in reading.

Reading as a skill is made up of small tasks and activities which mesh together to give you the view of the text. If we need to improve our Reading Skills it is paramount that we understand what are the mini skills that go into making this over skill.Not surprisingly all the questions that come in the reading sections of aptitude tests , are designed to test these very skills and an examiner uses this very list to create menacing questions so take your time with this list and try and acquire most if not all of the following sub skills

* deducing the meaning and use of unfamiliar words using context and inference
* Understanding Explicitly stated information
* Understanding information when not explicitly stated
* Understanding relations within the sentence
* Understand relations between parts of text
* Understanding cohesion between parts of text through grammatical cohesion devices
* Interpreting text by going outside it
* Identifying main point and most important information in a text
* Distinguishing the main idea from supporting details
* Extracting important points to summarize
* Selective extraction of relevant point in the text
* Basic reference skills
* Skimming
* Scanning for specific information
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [4]