Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink]
I'd love to post additional info, but I dont have privileges yet, so I have to wait a week...

Anyone out there want to draw some info from the prior LBS threads so we can create a go-to data source on this thread as well? That would be great.

B
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate (June 2011)
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Private Equity
Schools:Cambridge - Dinged, Oxford - Admitted, Cranfield - Admitted
 Q42  V40
WE 1: 1 year Operations @ top Nigerian Bank
WE 2: 2 years Portfolio Manager at Investment Banking Boutique
WE 3: At generalist private equity fund since September 2009
Send PM
Good stuff brad....just went through the LBS 2010 thread and found it very informative....

My profile.....

27 y/o male (Nigerian)
5 years work experience (asset mgt for three and private equity for two) in Nigeria
670 GMAT (89% V, 62% Q)
Took the CFA level two exam last week...hope i pass to get around my low quant score in GMAT
low undergrad GPA

BSD_Lover...notice you were the star of the 2010 thread :wink:......think i got a shot at LBS?

I also plan to apply to Cranfield, Said and Judge in addition to LBS.

Here's to a successful admission's season for us all!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hi bayoba, not just LBS but many other schools will find your profile attractive. Do the obvious things (i.e. essays, recommendations) right.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for starting the thread.

I'm actually going to be a reapplicant after getting dinged last year (1st round with interview).

My profile:

27 year old male (American)
A little less than 5 years w/e in public sector consulting in the US.
760 GMAT (99% V, 88% Q)
3.5 GPA

I think I've done a lot in the past year to improve my profile (Extra leadership and ECs), but how worried should I be that I wasn't explicitly asked to reapply in my original ding letter?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
bpenn wrote:
...I'm still not sure whether I will use a consultant to review my essays or whether I will go the friends, family and colleagues route. Beside the obvious cost of a consultant I feel that drafting and editing myself is almost a matter of pride, ...or maybe hubris. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Definitely ask family and friends to look over your essays. And if you need further advice feel free to check out our group:
https://www.MBAvolunteers.org

We review MBA applications in exchange for a donation to charity. Our group was founded by LBS students in 2008. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Cheers,
Thomas
(LBS MBA2010)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy / Operations
Schools:Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), <strong>Ivey+$$$</strong>
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Send PM
Thanks for starting up this thread. It's about time!
Looking forward to apply this fall and to collaborate with everyone on this forum.

Link to my profile:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-eval-fall-2011-intake-91295.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
ksf42001 wrote:
Thanks for starting the thread.

I'm actually going to be a reapplicant after getting dinged last year (1st round with interview).

My profile:

27 year old male (American)
A little less than 5 years w/e in public sector consulting in the US.
760 GMAT (99% V, 88% Q)
3.5 GPA

I think I've done a lot in the past year to improve my profile (Extra leadership and ECs), but how worried should I be that I wasn't explicitly asked to reapply in my original ding letter?

I also think so.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi everyone,

count me in for R1 for LBS. It is one of my top choices. I am an Indian with more than 3 years of exp for now. Engineer by qualification and work ex in Finance + entrepreneurship.

I am a little worried about the international experience clause at LBS. I work in Foreign Exchange(Or Forex) markets and thus have traveled a little to international locations for small work stints. However, my work requires extensively working and networking with individuals and organisations all over the globe. I have recruited a team which spans around the globe(from Aus to Canada).

Any seasoned forum members who can comment something on that concern of mine? Are there any students out there who did not have much international experience in terms of working at geographically diverse locations?How fussy is LBS about this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
ankitgarg20 wrote:
Hi everyone,

count me in for R1 for LBS. It is one of my top choices. I am an Indian with more than 3 years of exp for now. Engineer by qualification and work ex in Finance + entrepreneurship.

I am a little worried about the international experience clause at LBS. I work in Foreign Exchange(Or Forex) markets and thus have traveled a little to international locations for small work stints. However, my work requires extensively working and networking with individuals and organizations all over the globe. I have recruited a team which spans around the globe(from Aus to Canada).

Any seasoned forum members who can comment something on that concern of mine? Are there any students out there who did not have much international experience in terms of working at geographically diverse locations?How fussy is LBS about this?

I'd also love to have someone chime in on this. My potential answer to the "international experience" essay is even thinner so I'm wondering if this is a kiss of death for an application. Has anybody been accepted with pretty limited int'l experience?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BeeSkool wrote:

I'd also love to have someone chime in on this. My potential answer to the "international experience" essay is even thinner so I'm wondering if this is a kiss of death for an application. Has anybody been accepted with pretty limited int'l experience?

I can't tell you the exact name of someone, but when I attended an info session on campus last summer, one of the admissions people specifically mentioned one person whose first trip outside their home country was when they traveled to start at LBS. I'm in a similar boat as you are in terms of international exposure being my weak link. You're at least not alone...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi :) ,
Im new here and would like to know the suitability of my profile for an MBA in London Business School (LBS).Since I find most of the time,people with management background(in terms of work experience) applying for the hot seat.About me - I have been working in India for the last 75 months in India.My work experience is more of technical research.And Im not sure,if I should go for MBA in LBS though.Terms like Investment banking,equity trading are like greek(No,I dont know greek) to me.
Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance
Swastik
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics/Finance
Schools:LBS, Kellog, Booth
Send PM
Hiya!

I'm new here but this club and thread look promising! Just wanted to post a hi to everyone. LBS has been my top choice for several years if I can swing it but have a few others as backups (US).

Good luck to all and here's to our journey of getting there! :-D
-Angie

My info:
30 y/o female (American)
9 years work experience (prop mgmt/ corp real estate)
GMAT - not taken yet
low undergrad GPA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
American f 28 6 years we business development and started an office in London two years ago. Int exp study in japan and Cuba
undergrads in business high gpa 660 GMAT v83 q62

insead jan 11 dinged

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT 700 (Q48, V38 both 83%ile, overall 90%ile)
Work Ex: Almost 5 years (in 3 different countries), highly diverse roles and organizations (startups, large organizations, govt agencies, SMEs) includes leadership roles
Education: MSc in Mobile Computing with distinction from University in UK, BE in Computer Engineering with first class from University in India (below avg overall in BE)
Extracurriculars: Above Average

Problem: All my experience has been highly technical, though I have leadership experience, but it was again for a highly technical role. I want a career change into corporate strategy/consultancy. Both these areas are very strong in LBS with strong placements as well.

Questions I have: Is GMAT score enough. Will a second attempt help at all as the other things cannot be changed.

I do not want to go to any admission consultant as it is unethical in nature.

I am an Indian and Indian pool of applicants is very competitive in nature.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
i'm most probably in for R2!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
how low is low gpa? is it below 3 or low 3? i am interested but i have 2.92/720...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Kudos
BeeSkool wrote:

This was one of my worries. For what it's worth, in four years of working in the UK I spent precisely 3 weeks outside the country. My international experience essay focused on one week of international volunteer work. This is definately on the low side relative to most people, but it hopefully shows that you don't need a massive amount of overseas experience if your application is strong in other areas.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  68   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts