Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
I recently took my GMAT and scored a 650 (V-34, Q-45). (V-68%, Q074%). I was planning to apply to some B-Schools. I haven't got my Essay scores yet. Though this might be a common question, I thought an opinion from an experienced person like you could help me get over my dilemma whether I should take the test again or continue with my application process.

So here is my profile:

- I have a total of 6 years of experience (Oct 04- Oct 10). I worked in Infosys Technologies as a Software Developer for 3 years. I then moved to Oracle Corporation as a Quality Assurance Engineer and have been working there since 2007.

- My Academic records are - 92.33% at high school. I did my Electrical and Electronics Engineering and scored 75%. I guess CGPA conversion would be 5 for high school and 3 for undergrad.

- My current activities other than work would be free-lance software development for some of the local clients in Bangalore, India. Also I sponsor education for two kids in Bangalore through a charitable institution. I also am involved with Volunteer activities for charitable causes within Oracle through its Ora Volunteers club.

- My past extra curricular activities would be that I trained in Martial Arts and also trained in Music - Guitar and Drums. I've also been a part of various cultural events at high school - theatre.

- I currently hold a Senior Member of Technical staff position with Oracle. I am lead for an automation tool that our organization and various other internal organizations use. Elaborating on this would probably be my pitch in the application when they ask about any leadership role that I have played in my profession.

Can you please let me know if:

1. My score is good enough to apply to universities that are ranked 25 and beyond? I understand that the Indian IT Male is over represented, but I just wanted to know if universities ranked 25 and beyond would be OK with this score.

2. Would you recommend me with my current profile to retake my test or continue with my app process.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions that you might have. Looking forward to your opinions.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Sameer,

Request your help with my profile evaluation.

Nationality : Indian
Experience : 4
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 700 (51Q, 32 V, 5.0 AWA). Feb’09
2nd Attempt - 710 (50Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA). Apr’10
Undergrad : B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
Currently pursuing CFA. Written L1 in June 2010, results awaited.

Areas of Interest: Finance –Investment Services/Portfolio Management

Experience details (Total Exp – 4yrs. Employer – Citi India)
1. 2010 Mar – Now: Implementation Manager – Consumer & Commercial Banking – Customer Servicing Channels.
2. 2009-10 – Implementation Manager – Consumer Banking – Credit Initiation (Card, Unsecured Loans & Secured Loans/Lines)
3. 2006-2008 – Business Analyst & Project Manager – Sales & Credit
International Exposure:
1. Business/Cross Team Interaction – Worked for CitiFinancial India, Thailand & Indonesia. And Citibank Singapore, Philippines, Guam, Malaysia, Indonesia and North America.
2. International Travel – Travelled for implementation work to Singapore, Philippines & Malaysia.
Extracurricular:
@college:
• Member of the Executive Council (7 members) of SAC (Students Association Council).
o Received the highest votes for the post of General Secretary in Student Body election, although lost in a lucky draw to resolve the tie.
• Won the 2nd prize in the National Level Business Plan Competition – Corpostrat
• Treasurer of Hobbies Club Festival – Srishti’06. Event initially funded by institute, we made it self-funded with sponsorship around INR 500000, in spite of the fact that festival was held in April just after our Cultural and Technical fest and Financial year end. Conducted workshops by International Speakers and other events to take the festival to new heights.
@work:• Rated ‘1/Outstanding’ in 2 out of 4 appraisals during my tenure in Citi and ‘2/Excellent’ for the rest 2.
• Identified as a HIPO (High Potential Employee).
• Youngest employee to be designated Solution Architect and made an Approver for all high impact requirements of CitiFinancial India, Indo & Thai business.
• Ran collection programs in collaboration with NGO – Goonj and Coordinate donations (Clothes, books, etc) from office colleagues and housing society.

Target Colleges:
- Harvard
- MIT Sloan
- NYU Stern
- Haas
- Ross
- Darden
- Duke Fuqua

I need to shortlist this to 5 colleges. Would be great if you can tag my chances in these. Only criterion for college is great finance faculty & resources, should be in US, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake 

Thank you for your time and effort!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
aspireformba wrote:
Hi Sameer,

I aspire to do MBA from top US B-schools. (On my list are - Kellogg, Michigan Ross, Darden, Tuck, Duke, UCLA. Though also wish to apply for Harvard and Wharton - It may seem highly ambitious).
However, from secondary research on the net and different forums, I am not sure whether my profile fits the target schools. Below is my profile -

Nationality - Indian
Age - 30 years
Undergraduate - Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics from non IIT however, among top 15 engineering schools in India. Passed out in 2001. 72.9% Among top 15% of class
Work Experience - 9 years (in September 2010)
GMAT - 700 (Q49, V35) / 4.5
TOEFL - 109
International Experience -
Belgium - 1 months
Germant - 3 years

Work Experience Details
Out of 9 years, worked with Infosys for 6 years in application services primarily and last 3 years with mid size Indian IT outsourced product development company

The move from Infosys to product company was well thought of. In last 3 years with Infosys, I worked on a IT redefinition assignment for a German customer wherein I was involved more as a functional consultant who underwent the process of defining IT strategy for a business unit's marketing and sales initiatives, carving out IT programs and projects and execution and deployment of those programs. During this I was exposed to cross-functional business challenges and how these can impede any program if not well executed. During this time, I decided to earn more experience into product development and management and moved to a mid size product company ( because in SME, I could proactively take more diverse cross-functional opportunities which is difficult to get in large companies).

Though I have worked in IT companies, I have some uniqueness in profile as well.
1) For last 1 year, I am managing a business consulting assignment. In this, we do competitive analysis of customer's product suite vis-a-vis its top competitors (who it meets often on sales field). This analysis is more than functional comparison (as is normal with Indian IT professionals) and goes beyond to licensing comparions, industry alignment, market positioning etc. The output of these studies are often product roadmaps and preliminary sales strategy. I am actively involved in these analysis and demonstration to customer product and sales groups.

While working in this assignment, I have some good numbers and results to show such as -
1) Did SWOT for customer and competitor product in a week's time frame and provided backend support to the customer to clinch a sales deal from the competitor. This deal was for one of top 5 European bank and worth in excess of US$ 25 million.
2) Pursued and Negotiated competitor's product purchases in decision maker capacity. These purchases ranged from US$ 100K to US$ 700K. Multiple purchases. For this I involve cross functional teams with in my org - purchase, sales, finance and IT teams. Involves lot of inter-personal and diplomatic aspects
3) This assignment was never done before in my organization. So, instrumental in setting up framework and processes for executing such assignments. FY10 Revenues - US$ 1 million, FY11 expected revenues - US$ 2.5 million. Awarded multiple individual and team awards at org level as recognition
4) During purchase of competitor products, have gone through multiple legal and financial review cycles with my company's legal department and senior management. At times, competitor licenses explicitly discourages us to do any comparative analysis so legal reviews and confirmations are mandatory. This has put us largely in an uncertain environment where license doesn't permit us to do and we are keen to continue with this kind of work. Have some experiences around where we are partnering with Chinese companies to procure and host environment to do such work.
5) Have some experiences where we faced ethical dilemmas and we took assertive stand in front of customer to say No

Other than above assignment, I am also handling two more projects -
Project 1 - It is a staff augmentation project where we get hiring positions from customer. I own the complete process from a) understanding JD from customer, b)settingup selection criteria and process c) coordinating with my recruitment team, interview panels etc. d) negotiating salary approvals from company's senior management etc.

Project 2 - This is a typical IT project (job search portal development) on which I am the project manager. However, to differentiate a bit, I have proactively taken role of account management and pre-sales. When this account/project was started, it was only 5 people big team. After 5 months, it has grown to 12 people. Recently, we have also started discussions on customer support opportunity which will be again 3-4 people team to start with and have a potential to grow. I have some stories around how I engaged customer with showcasing my company's strengths and positive results in initial phase to build confidence and also how I could manage to get focus of my directors on this small account.

Extra Curriculars
College -
1) Participated in many national level paper presentations and other contests and won awards
2) Took leadership roles in organizing college fests
3) Joint Placement Officer for my batch for campus placements

Work
1) To enhance my presentation, people and speaking skills, I volunteer to take org level soft skills trainings - Client Handling Skills
2) Owner of Infrastructure Center of Excellence (at company level). Have stories around setting it up and running it. Also some results around how we helped different pre-sales efforts with collarterals and won deals of medium sizes (upto US$ 1 million annually)
3) Reviewer for different technical and domain initiatives
4) In past, co-owner of technical forums

Community Service
1) Actively involved with an NGO with clear objective of providing vocational skills in underpreviliged children who can take up job in near-community. I take computer and soft-skills classes for these children twice a week. recently, took initiative to help a newly opened rural centre (around 50 kms from my city) where no other volunteer was ready to go
2) Previously involved in Infosys Foundation programs and fund raising initiatives (no big achievements here)
3) Assumed coordinator role in the society where I recently shifted to live. Since society is newly developed, has lot of issues around safety, cleanliness, logistics etc. Taking up issues from residents to builder and maintenance agency to get timely resolutions.

Post MBA Goal
Armed with deep business knowledge, shift into product consulting where I help organizations from identifying right products to build product strategies (functional, marketing, sales, licensing. positioning etc.).

Please provide your evaluation. My main concern is around a) 9+ yrs experience b) average GMAT c) competitive Indian IT male pool of applicants.

Regards,
MBA Aspirant

As I read through the profile, I was going in my head - hmmm...mature profile. And I'm not referring to the number of years of work-ex. I'm talking about the way you've analysed your own profile and structured it here (we'll speak about the presentation part a little later). Shows that you've done a fair bit of introspection on your own.

Always good to work with those who know where they are and where they want to go. Helps the consultant and the candidate reduce the preliminary effort required. You know what you are strong at, where you don't have an advantage, you've got your list of schools ready (why aren't you looking at European schools?). In short, you are in a position to hit the ground running.

If you are expecting a tick-box approach, let me address that first. You are hitting all the right notes in many of the areas that Adcoms look at - good acads, managerial exp, international exp, extra-currics, community work, yada yada. But you knew that anyway, right? Ok, tick-box approach over. Let's move on to more interesting things.

A few points for you to think about when you start working on your essays. This is where we pick up the presentation story that we left earlier.

- Right now the approach you've taken in drafting this post is fine - as you've got an engineer talking to an engineer. So I don't have trouble understanding you. But the person reviewing your essay will most probably not share your background. So you gotta make it palatable to a non-technical audience.

- If I had been reading this from a job interviewers perspective, I'd appreciate the language and the tone. For a b-school application, this is khatarnak-ly dry (did we just invent something here?). Despite the variety of your experience, the language and the jargon that you use make it difficult for the reader not to bunch you along with the rest of thy brethren from the IT industry.

- Reviewers read thousands of apps and it's a painful process, irrespective of how special your app is to you. Try not to push your readers into reading it for a second time before the whole thing starts forming a complete picture. Make the mental picture building process easier.

The schools you have on your list are pretty competitive. You've gotta take the presentation part several notches higher. Keep the points listed above in mind and start working on the appln strategy right now.

Harvard, Wharton look tight. The other's might be a Practical to Stretch.

My partner in the US is a Harvard grad and highly respected by the international applicant community. Though he's not an Indian (he's American), he understands the Indian applicant profile much better than most Indians. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with his team. If you've decided to apply to the best schools, you might as well give it your best shot, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Non-profits
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Hi,

What are the schools schools which have good programs for Social Innovation or Social Entrepreneurship?
What are the main factors to be considered while shortlisting schools for these programs?
Also, what is the potential of MBA in this field in regards to getting a good job and career? Do companies recruit students with this background? What kinds of jobs and who all recruit?
Long term goal after this MBA could be varied (like NGO, socially responsible companies, non profit, etc) but considering MBA will cost a lot and there will be a big loan that needs to be taken care of, are there enough job opportunities out there??
Would appreciate response from experts and current students.

Apart from this, I have a few profile specific questions, please reply:
I took my second shot at GMAT last week and scored 670 (Q47 V35, AWA 5) in the test. I am an Indian female working as Electronics Design Engineer at John Deere India. I will have 3 yrs work ex at time of matriculation. Apart from this I have good social (Fellow at Open Space, NGO working for Social awareness and Teach for India's Young Professional Ambassador) and leadership (General Sec of the undergrad college and founder of drama club) experience. I wish to pursue MBA in social entrepreneurship in a good school in this field.

Is my score good enough to apply for Fall 2011?? I was of the opinion that rather than retake I can work more on essays and my profile. Am I thinking right, or a good GMAT score is more important? If I want to apply with this score, what other factors I should concentrate on?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Sameer for your encouragement. You are right. These days I am really sweating on how to present to differentiate myself from other IT applicants.

On target schools
Actually I wanted to have first impression about my approach. However, knowing that my age is at upper end, I am thinking of applying to these European schools
1) LBS
2) Oxford
3) May be Insead (I was rejected there in 2008 at that time my application was pure IT stuff)

My queries
1) What are my chances at above European schools. can you guide me how the placement scenario for Indians at Oxford

2) In last post, I mentioned one of target schools as UCLA by mistake. Actually I meant Columbia. Now, if I leave Harvard/Wharton. For other schools, is it right assessment -

Stretch - Kellogg, Michigan, Columbia, Insead
Competitive - Duke, Darden, Tuck, Tepper (if I add that now), LBS, Oxford

3) Please comment on my GMAT of 700

Regards,
MBA Aspirant
Director
Director
Send PM
aspireformba wrote:
Thanks Sameer for your encouragement.

Whenever you need more of that (and let me tell you, you WILL need a lot of it as you go through the application process), gimme a shout. I'll dress up as Santa and come over to re-fill your socks with more of it.

aspireformba wrote:
You are right. These days I am really sweating on how to present to differentiate myself from other IT applicants.

Aah, the million dollar question. Everyone's got a unique DNA, saar. You gotta identify it first and highlight it. irrespective of your industry or background, I won't believe you could be exactly the same as anyone else.

If you are keen on getting a tool that can help in the process, let me know. We'll work towards figuring out that DNA mystery. It'll also tell you what you can or cannot do with that GMAT score.

Btw, I've got your PM and responded back. Will take your other queries over email, so I can devote time to our other friends who've got unanswered posts on this thread.

Key advice for you and all the other candidates reading this thread. Get over your dilemmas and concerns quickly so you can focus on the apps. R1 is just around the corner.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBAInsurance wrote:
Hi,

Request to please evaluate my profile for the TOP 10 Leading B Schools (including India and US).

Work Experience : 6.5 years in IT industry in India with one of the Top MNCs here (This is my second company, the earlier being another top MNC in India). Have around 1.5+ years of Overseas exposure (in USA and Canada) as Technical Analyst and was involved in Client interaction and technical negotiations. Throughout my professional career I was involved in different projects and served high profile Global clients which included Fortune 500 companies also. Before I moved to US with a new role, I was also the "Module Lead" for my project for almost a year and 7-8 members were working directly under my supervision. I recently got a promotion as well!
Cleared and achieved different technical/ Non Technical certifications which includes Microsoft, ITIL (for Service Management).

1. Will this experience good enough for the schools I am aiming for? Is it suitable for 2 years MBA or a shorter duration Executive MBA?

Degree : B.Tech in Information Technology from one of the Private Engineering Colleges in eastern India. My B.Tech GPA is 8.3 out of 10.

GMAT Score : 680 (AWA: 5)
Academics :
10 : 76% (State Board)
12 : 68% (State Board)

2. Does these numbers look impressive? Should I go for another GMAT test to make it better if possible?

Diversity:
Extra Curricular : Nothing major;

Social Activities:
Involved with Companies Corporate Social Responsibility Team (sometimes need to go to primary schools and teach poor children/ donation collection etc.) and Environment Focus Team (was involved in a team for public awareness on different environmental issues etc.).

3. Can my Social Activities overwrite my Extra Curricular activities (since I am weak in this)? Will this impact my overall chance of getting into the schools? I am bit worried on this part and is there a way I can make this look a bit better!!

4. If I give GMAT another shot in next 6 months time, is there a way in the mean time I can make my Extra Curricular / Social Activities part look better?

Really appreciate your suggestions here. Thanks.

All going ok in your part of the world I hope.

Two companies in 6.5 years would give employers a nice warm feeling. You aren't going to hope around for a few extra bucks. In it for the long haul.

Your experience seems to tie-in with what many IT guys with your work-ex will tend to write about. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. It's taken you to a few international shores, given you an opportunity to lead small to mid-sized teams and get involved in technical and (to a limited extent) non-technical roles.

All good. But with you being on par with many others with the same stores, we'll need to now look at other stories that help you branch out on your own.

The recent promotion is a feather in the cap. What does it mean to you from a responsibility perspective? Is it just a pay hike or does it mean more than that? Will you take on additional responsibility now? Talk to me, my friend. Give me reason to be excited about for the present and for the future about your career prospects.

>> 1. Will this experience good enough for the schools I am aiming for? Is it suitable for 2 years MBA or a shorter duration Executive MBA?

Yes, for the first question. Not sure what you mean by 'shorter' duration Exec MBA programs. Any examples?

>> GMAT Score : 680 (AWA: 5)
>> 10 : 76% (State Board)
>> 12 : 68% (State Board)
>> 2. Does these numbers look impressive? Should I go for another GMAT test to make it better if possible?

I'm ignoring the 10th and 12th grade marks as they don't mean much to me right now, unless of course you have something special to add there. For instance, did you come in the merit list?
If you are aiming for the Top-10 as you've said, then the GMAT will not help elevate your profile on its own. Is there a possibility that you could re-take it?

>> 3. Can my Social Activities overwrite my Extra Curricular activities (since I am weak in this)? Will this impact my overall chance of getting into the schools? I am bit worried on this part and is there a way I can make this look a bit better!!

Social activities in a way will come under extra-curric anyway, if you go by the broader definition - anything you do beyond your basic curriculum. But if you haven't been participating in sports, arts, it'll look at little strange if you suddenly develop an interest in the exotic world of scuba diving, finger painting or sumo wrestling.

>> 4. If I give GMAT another shot in next 6 months time, is there a way in the mean time I can make my Extra Curricular / Social Activities part look better?

Not sure why you've combined your GMAT with your extra-currics. Re-take the GMAT by all means. But 6 months is too far away, my friend. We are talking about next year - 2011! A whole lot of admissions action would be over by then. Can you not take it earlier and make it ready for R1 apps?

When do you plan to shortlist schools and work on your essays?

Start NOW!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
help-me-choose-my-school-96674.html

hey sameer...could u share ur views on my post above...i can send more details if u like..thx..
Director
Director
Send PM
vibarora wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/help-me-choose-my-school-96674.html

hey sameer...could u share ur views on my post above...i can send more details if u like..thx..

Arora sahab,

I'd be glad to share my thoughts, if you could paste the profile here. It'll help the others reading this thread if we can have all the data in one place.

A single post on an independent thread can be a pretty lonely feeling. So come over and join the party, buddy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Gen Mgt, Consulting, Operations
Schools:MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Send PM
thanks sameer..here u go..!!

Overall

31/Male/10 yrs exp across 2 industries, Hospitality+ITES/5yrs avrg tenure in a job/in my second job right now/8.5 yrs of managerial exp out of 10 yrs

(most recent job) Senior Manager – Operations (Nov’05 to present)

1) I am working with a fortune 500 client in an emerging field/practice within Supply Chain.
2) Currently managing team of 120 people across 4 countries. (Czech, Mexico, China, India)
3) 17 million to 100 million 5 yrs account plan. Being part of operations, how I have contributed to sales function. – set up first ever account management team
4) Lowest attrition in year 2008
5) My 2010 ESAT score (filled by my direct repartees) higher than company average
6) Launched innovative practices in people management. – set up Appreciation council, Cabin contest, be a TL contest etc.
7) Experience of hiring people from different nationalities (Chinese, Czech, Russian, French, Japanese, Mexican)
8) Avrg age range of my team members – 23 to 58
9) Key business plans/solutions made which won the company business
10) Employee satisfaction higher than company avrg in Gallup. During recession times also. Managed to keep my team happy.
11) I always wanted to apply earlier for an MBA but I kept on getting leadership roles and that was the experience I did not want to miss

1st Job - Hospitality

1) My varied experience will strongly contribute to the class dynamics.
2) Joined as Mgt Trainee in 2000 and progressed to Head of Dept in 2004 after moving thru various levels.
3) 5 promotions in 5 years.
4) Youngest head of dept. in the history of the Group
5) Worked with people of all ages/seniority levels, worked in a unionized environment
6) Repositioned the hotel from being a luxury hotel to a business hotel in the Delhi mkt
7) Heading a dept at the age of 24 with revenues of 22 crores.
8) Broke the strike in hotel.- Unique experience
9) Dealt with actors, actresses, models, politicians, gangsters – unique experience. - - … face of celebs in public vs. private
10) Handled several situations where guests would not pay/not have any money and hotel had to extract payments.
11) Handled confidential visits of Ricky martin, Pamela Anderson
12) First to sell a room online for $500 in the history of the hotel in 2003
13) Increased the Average room rate from Rs. 2000/- to 7,000/- per night in 2004
14) Always contributed progressively to my organizations and teams I have lead.

Others

15) Avid sportsperson. Above average player in Tennis, Table Tennis, Squash.
16) Being from an Army background, played almost all sports - hot air ballooning, horse riding, golf, tennis, tt, basket ball, squash, snow scooter.
17) Crossed world’s highest road 8 times (khardungla top)
18) A photo clicked by me featured on the FUJI home page
19) brilliant student awardee in 1997 in my school.

and my previos post pasted below:
---------------------------------
hi folks,

i am planning to apply for the class of 2011. while i am preparing for my gmat i am looking for some help on chosing the schools.

31/Indian male/10 yrs exp (8.5 yrs in team management)/hospitality+ITES/progressive career/lead a team of 120 people across 4 countries/snr mgr-operations. plenty of examples with which i can differentiate my candidature (for eg - handled a strike in my hotel, celeb visits etc)

honestly speaking the only reason i want to do an mba now is to put a structure to my learnings over the last 10 yrs. and also experience a cross cultural environment.

why i didnt do it earlier is because i kept on getting promoted and was given key responsibilities at a fairly young age. didnt want to miss that experience. but now i feel that my learning has slowed down so i feel its the right time to push the peddle.

though my core area is operations, i have done fairly well in a solutions/sales kind of role. also my background in operations gives me that added insight into designing a solution for my client.

currently i am looking at

1) moving to Operations/Strategy consulting
or
2) sticking to operations post my mba

the above is also after doing research that one should have long term/short term goals ready. to be honest, i have a clue or a basic idea of where i want to be. but i have never been a sort of a person who has planned my future. though most schools require this clarity i find it a bit absurd.

if you ask my long term goal, i want to be an amaterur golfer. but i dont think its a good answer from an employability perspective.

so at this moment i dont have any pref between US/Europe, 1yr/2yr. aim is to get into a top 20 school, rest will follow.

so if anyone can suggest the target schools (or a priority list) for my kind of a background it will help. cos honestly to me all top schools seem the same specially when i see their website. i would like to join all of them.

thanks for reading and thanks for your responses.
Director
Director
Send PM
vijayallenraj wrote:
I recently took my GMAT and scored a 650 (V-34, Q-45). (V-68%, Q074%). I was planning to apply to some B-Schools. I haven't got my Essay scores yet. Though this might be a common question, I thought an opinion from an experienced person like you could help me get over my dilemma whether I should take the test again or continue with my application process.

So here is my profile:

- I have a total of 6 years of experience (Oct 04- Oct 10). I worked in Infosys Technologies as a Software Developer for 3 years. I then moved to Oracle Corporation as a Quality Assurance Engineer and have been working there since 2007.

- My Academic records are - 92.33% at high school. I did my Electrical and Electronics Engineering and scored 75%. I guess CGPA conversion would be 5 for high school and 3 for undergrad.

- My current activities other than work would be free-lance software development for some of the local clients in Bangalore, India. Also I sponsor education for two kids in Bangalore through a charitable institution. I also am involved with Volunteer activities for charitable causes within Oracle through its Ora Volunteers club.

- My past extra curricular activities would be that I trained in Martial Arts and also trained in Music - Guitar and Drums. I've also been a part of various cultural events at high school - theatre.

- I currently hold a Senior Member of Technical staff position with Oracle. I am lead for an automation tool that our organization and various other internal organizations use. Elaborating on this would probably be my pitch in the application when they ask about any leadership role that I have played in my profession.

Can you please let me know if:

1. My score is good enough to apply to universities that are ranked 25 and beyond? I understand that the Indian IT Male is over represented, but I just wanted to know if universities ranked 25 and beyond would be OK with this score.

2. Would you recommend me with my current profile to retake my test or continue with my app process.

I would greatly appreciate any opinions that you might have. Looking forward to your opinions.

Hi Vijay (Dinanath Chauhan...poora naam....haainn?),

Moving straight to your questions:

>> 1. My score is good enough to apply to universities that are ranked 25 and beyond? I understand that the Indian IT Male is over represented, but I just wanted to know if universities ranked 25 and beyond would be OK with this score.

For the top 25, the average GMAT scores would be higher than 650. So if you want to go ahead with this score, I'd make the hurdle a little lower so you can jump over it and not let it become a stumbling block.

The MCB report could give you a much better picture in terms of what schools you can specifically target with this score.

>> 2. Would you recommend me with my current profile to retake my test or continue with my app process.

If you are willing to target lower ranked schools and you have a compelling reason not to re-take the test (a natural allergy to standardised tests is a perfectly reasonable response), you'd be ok with this score.

If you think can come up with a much stronger score in your next attempt and supplement this with massst essays, then your choice of schools can become far more attractive.

My recommendation would be to seriously consider the latter option, but I'd like to hear your views too.
Director
Director
Send PM
abhishekaseth wrote:
Hi Sameer,

Experience : 4
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 700 (51Q, 32 V, 5.0 AWA). Feb’09
2nd Attempt - 710 (50Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA). Apr’10
Undergrad : B.Tech in Computer Science from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee.
Currently pursuing CFA. Written L1 in June 2010, results awaited.

Areas of Interest: Finance –Investment Services/Portfolio Management

Experience details (Total Exp – 4yrs. Employer – Citi India)
1. 2010 Mar – Now: Implementation Manager – Consumer & Commercial Banking – Customer Servicing Channels.
2. 2009-10 – Implementation Manager – Consumer Banking – Credit Initiation (Card, Unsecured Loans & Secured Loans/Lines)
3. 2006-2008 – Business Analyst & Project Manager – Sales & Credit
International Exposure:
1. Business/Cross Team Interaction – Worked for CitiFinancial India, Thailand & Indonesia. And Citibank Singapore, Philippines, Guam, Malaysia, Indonesia and North America.
2. International Travel – Travelled for implementation work to Singapore, Philippines & Malaysia.
Extracurricular:
@college:
• Member of the Executive Council (7 members) of SAC (Students Association Council).
o Received the highest votes for the post of General Secretary in Student Body election, although lost in a lucky draw to resolve the tie.
• Won the 2nd prize in the National Level Business Plan Competition – Corpostrat
• Treasurer of Hobbies Club Festival – Srishti’06. Event initially funded by institute, we made it self-funded with sponsorship around INR 500000, in spite of the fact that festival was held in April just after our Cultural and Technical fest and Financial year end. Conducted workshops by International Speakers and other events to take the festival to new heights.
@work:• Rated ‘1/Outstanding’ in 2 out of 4 appraisals during my tenure in Citi and ‘2/Excellent’ for the rest 2.
• Identified as a HIPO (High Potential Employee).
• Youngest employee to be designated Solution Architect and made an Approver for all high impact requirements of CitiFinancial India, Indo & Thai business.
• Ran collection programs in collaboration with NGO – Goonj and Coordinate donations (Clothes, books, etc) from office colleagues and housing society.

Target Colleges:
- Harvard
- MIT Sloan
- NYU Stern
- Haas
- Ross
- Darden
- Duke Fuqua

I need to shortlist this to 5 colleges. Would be great if you can tag my chances in these. Only criterion for college is great finance faculty & resources, should be in US, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake 

Thank you for your time and effort!

At the TopMBA event in Mumbai on 12th July, we plan to offer an on-the-spot Mini-Evaluation process which gives a sneak-peek into what the full-fledged report has to offer. I used your profile data - with some major assumptions on your acads, work-ex, soft-skills etc - to create a sample.

There were several sections from the MCB questionnaire that I couldn't fill in, so this may not be as accurate as I would want it to be.

For space, time and effort reasons, I'm not getting into the details of what it came up with, but here's a summary.

Overall profile rating: Good
(A whole lot of guys get 'Average' or 'Closer to average', so a 'Good' rating is, well, Good)

Category and Num of schools
Ambitious (12)
Stretch (12)
Practical (45)
Safe (20)
Backup (5)

Check out the second page of the attached file for more details on the Average Tuition, Average Compensation for your categories, so you'd know how much you can expect to shell out and how much you can hope to earn back. All ball-park figures.

The individual schools you've listed are mostly in the Stretch to Ambitious bracket. Just to keep your shortlist balanced, you might want to go a little lower in the ranking and include a few Practical schools as well.

>> Only criterion for college is great finance faculty & resources, should be in US, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake

Apart from the schools already on your list, you could look at Chicago, Columbia. The former would be a Stretch and the latter would be Ambitious.

Considering your GMAT score in the second attempt hasn't been incrementally stronger, you could focus on the subjective elements of your applications.

All the best, Abhishek.
Attachments

File comment: Note that this is just a representative sample. The original evaluation process and the final report is far more comprehensive.
Mini-Evaluation for Abhishek Seth.pdf [111.73 KiB]
Downloaded 145 times

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I have a query regarding my profile, in ISB

With 2years experiece & one pharma MBA degree will it bepossible for me to apply to ISB?

Pls let me know

I hope it would not bother you.

A brief about me:

My name is Sagar Mahajan.

Experience: 2yrs by end of next yr

With Sun pharmaceutical industries Ltd

Working inInternational Marketing division.Handle Central American countries business development & assist in main Latin american countries like Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, etc

Qualification:

Pharma MBA from SIES college og management , Mumbai

(MAT:98.18 percentile,ATMA 97.42 percentile)

B.pharma with 66 %

12 th 76%

10th 71%

Extra curricular activities:

Not much , Participated at university level group song competittion, soprts

Played cricket , football for college at university levels.
Director
Director
Send PM
anaghamahajan01 wrote:
Hi,

What are the schools schools which have good programs for Social Innovation or Social Entrepreneurship?
What are the main factors to be considered while shortlisting schools for these programs?
Also, what is the potential of MBA in this field in regards to getting a good job and career? Do companies recruit students with this background? What kinds of jobs and who all recruit?
Long term goal after this MBA could be varied (like NGO, socially responsible companies, non profit, etc) but considering MBA will cost a lot and there will be a big loan that needs to be taken care of, are there enough job opportunities out there??
Would appreciate response from experts and current students.

Apart from this, I have a few profile specific questions, please reply:
I took my second shot at GMAT last week and scored 670 (Q47 V35, AWA 5) in the test. I am an Indian female working as Electronics Design Engineer at John Deere India. I will have 3 yrs work ex at time of matriculation. Apart from this I have good social (Fellow at Open Space, NGO working for Social awareness and Teach for India's Young Professional Ambassador) and leadership (General Sec of the undergrad college and founder of drama club) experience. I wish to pursue MBA in social entrepreneurship in a good school in this field.

Is my score good enough to apply for Fall 2011?? I was of the opinion that rather than retake I can work more on essays and my profile. Am I thinking right, or a good GMAT score is more important? If I want to apply with this score, what other factors I should concentrate on?

Hi Anagha,

You've got partial inputs to the first section on another thread. Let me try to address the others.

Social entrepreneurship, management of Non-profit institutions and variations of this have been getting a lot of attention lately. And it's not just for the feel-good nature that most associate with this. These were largely considered to be options for those who aren't fit to be in the corporate rat race, those who are more idealistic and less practical - a change-the-world attitude but minus a concrete plan for doing it.

Now it's serious business. These fields require the same skills that any for-profit organisation would look for. They need managers who understand the business and commercial aspects of running the show. Sustainability is a big challenge for those who look at it as pure charity.

So, Anagha, if you think you have what it takes (and that goes beyond just noble intentions) to do well within this field, then do pursue it.

Like the other poster mentioned, some schools have a loan forgiveness program, but don't depend completely on this. Do have a proper roadmap in place to weigh out the risks and the rewards of working in this field.

Now moving on to your profile. I took the risk of going with a low score and banking completely on my essays/recos. But that's not something I'd recommend as a standard raam-baan upaay to every applicant. If you can improve the GMAT score, go ahead and do it.

Other than that, your marketing pitch becomes very important. Right now, I have many more open questions about your profile than answers. Don't make the adcoms assume things about you and fill in the blanks. Focus on the motivations for moving into the field, linkage to your pre-MBA experience etc. Make it clear and make it impactful.

Where are you currently in the process? Still struggling with the schools or have you started working on your apps (or at least the basic essay topics)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM

So here is my profile:

After a lot of thought, I have decided to go ahead and take a chance this year and apply to some b schools. Based on opinions from admissions consultants etc I have come up with the following:

Reach:

Texas mccombs
unc kenan flagler
emory
Indiana university kelley

Safe:

SMU Cox
Vanderbilt
Maryland Smith
Iowa tippie
washington olin
wisconsin madison

I have categorized schools into Reach and Safe. I would like to get into brand management after I finish MBA, and that is my long term goal. Given my profile and my GMAT score, can you please let me know if the list of schools above that I have come up with are good? If not can you please let me know if the school list is fine. Also please let me know if some would be too difficult and if there are alternatives, and also if I have missed some good schools that might be possible for me. The specialization would be marketing.

Thanks,
Vijay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Sameer,

Experience : 7yrs (8 by the time session starts)
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 620 (49Q, 26 V, Awaited AWA). Jul’10
Undergrad : B.Sc(Hons) Physics Delhi University.
PostGrad: MCA from Indraprastha University (80%)
Areas of Interest: Consulting, Finance

Experience details (Total Exp – 7yrs. Employer – Tech Mahindra, TCS, HCL)
1. Domain Experience: Telecom, Networking
2. Role: Designer
Also mentoring junior team members.

International Exposure:
1. Worked as Onsite Cordinator for 10 months. A good recomendation from Client on that role.
2. Worked in US and Germany.

Extracurricular:
@college:• Volleyball team member. College Champion.
@work:• Several awards from Client and my company.

Target Colleges:
- IIMA PGPX
- ISB
- Kellogg
- Columbia

This list of colleges is before I gave my GMAT. Well I am not sure if my GMAT score is worthwhile to apply in these colleges or not.
1. Should I go for another GMAT attempt?
2. Or if there is a chance with this score where I can try. 3. What can be my USP as I belong to the largest community of students applying in MBA.
4. Where I can improve on my profile other than GMAT score.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Originally posted by bangalorian2000 on 08 Jul 2010, 09:21.
Last edited by bangalorian2000 on 08 Jul 2010, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Sameer,

Would be great if you could please evaluate my profile:

GMAT: 730, AWA 5.5

Work Ex: 5 years 1 month at present
Sector: Financial Services. At present a Manager with HSBC. Leading a 7 member team to provide risk analytics solutions to HSBC's retail banking business. Prior to this worked with Citibank's risk team. Significant bottom line impact in these two organisations through devising and implementing strategic solutions.
I also possess about 1.5 years experience in management consulting with the Merger & Acquisitions Integration team at Delotte Consulting India Pvt. Limited..

Education: MS (Quantitative Economics) from Indian Statistical Institute, B. Sc. (Economics) from Presidency College (Kolkata). Among the top 2% in my undergraduate studies. Both ISI and Presidency College are top schools in Economics in India. XII: 81%, X: 83%.

Extra Curriculars: Strong. 1) Susbstantial community service over the last 4 years. Significant contribution in the expansion of an NGO in the last 4 years. 2) In the process of establishing the departmental alumni association in my undergraduate college. 3) Sole representative from the corporate sector in the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association of ISI.

Post MBA I want to switch over to a risk management role covering a wider domain than just retail banking. My present work ex entails risk management for just retail banking.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  41