Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
Hello everyone. Just got accepted to weeknights at Washington Square! Here's my profile:

26/M/Chinese
GMAT: 670
GPA: 3.85 Actuarial Science
WE: 2.5 years Fortune 500
EC: Six years in the US Marine Corps Reserve

I'm looking forward to meet you all soon.

Not sure if there's any correlation, but I was notified that my FAFSA was submitted to NYU yesterday, and I heard back today from NYU.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the good news for Washington Square weeknights! The admissions folks sent me an e-mail last Friday asking me to provide some detail on my plans to attend class in NYC while living in Philly. Since it's something I've thought about considerably, I had a lot to say. I sent it back Friday afternoon and just got notification about an hour ago.

Here's my stats again:
27/M
Undergrad GPA: 3.49 (Finance, minor in business law)
GMAT: 670 (higher verbal than quant... bit concerned with that)
Exp: 3.5 yrs within different finance roles of a Fortune 50 company
Ex-military
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Rec's: Good (Group Finance Director, and current supervisor)
Essays: Pretty good, I think... spent a lot of time on all of them

Looking forward to meeting everybody!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stern Part-time
Send PM
ericlicy wrote:
MCJD4ever......do you mind share some of your applicant info? like your experience, college GPA and major, recommendations, essay....etc? What you think its your strongest point of acceptance??

I am thinking about applying for the Spring but I have a low GMAT score.....want to know how I can make my application stronger......Any other suggestion will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Ericlicy,

My profile is on previous pages on this forum, you should be able to find it.

I knew I was fighting an uphill battle with a low GMAT, so I made every effort to make sure my recommendations (one came from a Stern alumnus) and essays were stellar. Also, I had a 4.0 GPA from undergraduate (in quant majors - fin/econ), so this I'm sure eased AdCom's concerns about the GMAT and my quantitative abilities. I was agonizing over my GMAT score for months, but ultimately decided to apply because, based on my research, it is possible to overcome ONE bad number (low GPA or low GMAT, but not both).

Also, focus on the overall "theme/story" of your application. I did that, and I'm sure it helped my cause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:NYU Stern
Send PM
Ah, ChickenDinner, I just realized that you did not apply for the weekend option. Too bad we cannot be in the same core group.

Still Congrats!

ChickenDinner wrote:
Just got the good news for Washington Square weeknights! The admissions folks sent me an e-mail last Friday asking me to provide some detail on my plans to attend class in NYC while living in Philly. Since it's something I've thought about considerably, I had a lot to say. I sent it back Friday afternoon and just got notification about an hour ago.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Yeah I work in NJ and plan to move to northern NJ once my lease expires (unless my commute isn't so bad). I love living in Philly, but I don't want to hate myself for the next 3 years :-D

ukyo wrote:
Ah, ChickenDinner, I just realized that you did not apply for the weekend option. Too bad we cannot be in the same core group.

Still Congrats!

ChickenDinner wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
No response yet... I'm getting nervous. Is it possible one of my recommenders didn't write me a solid rec? Is there something I should do to check on the status?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Still awaiting anxiously for a response. I applied to the Weekends program which seems to be super competitive :( Keeping my fingers crossed. It's almost mid July and I'm starting to freak out a bit!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats to the new admits! here's the spreadsheet link again

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=0
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a general question to ask people in this forum. I know we have to pick the class choices carefully and address them in a essay question. Are there cases that Adcom will grant you admission in a class that is your second choice. I think my profile is good I picked weekend as my first choice but I am also okay with weekday and I addressed that in essay explaining carefully. Since weekend is looking very competitive I am nervous that I picked wrong first choice. :(

How to deal with this situation?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rs9099 wrote:
I have a general question to ask people in this forum. I know we have to pick the class choices carefully and address them in a essay question. Are there cases that Adcom will grant you admission in a class that is your second choice. I think my profile is good I picked weekend as my first choice but I am also okay with weekday and I addressed that in essay explaining carefully. Since weekend is looking very competitive I am nervous that I picked wrong first choice. :(

As long as you pick both and indicate that you'd be able to attend either option if admitted, you'll be ok. If they can't get you for the w/e option they'll offer you the 2nd choice. That won't adversely affect your admission chances.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Question re. waiving out of core classes: I was planning on waiving "leadership in organizations" and substituting it w/marketing. Problem is marketing doesn't appear as a Fall class. Can I still attend it in the fall or do I need to wait until it comes up on the list?Help!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rs9099 wrote:

Hey,

I'm in the same situation and getting very worried/anxious as I have not heard from Stern yet. Anyway, my question is that: since we only had 250 words to explain why MBA and our program choice (weekend/weeknight), how detailed did you get to explain your choice (what % of essay?).

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Popping in again!

Has anyone picked their core group? I am almost done with registration, I just need to upload a passport-like photo. I am hoping to either get into the Blue or Green Core Group. Anyone else going for those groups?

To all those that haven't heard yet, I say to take a deep breath in and stop biting your fingernails! If you submitted your application prior to the May 15th deadline, you will hear before August 1st. It is early-to-midd july now, so you still have nearly 3 weeks to hear something. Acceptances are still trickling in so don't worry.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hardikrs wrote:
rs9099 wrote:

Hey,

I'm in the same situation and getting very worried/anxious as I have not heard from Stern yet. Anyway, my question is that: since we only had 250 words to explain why MBA and our program choice (weekend/weeknight), how detailed did you get to explain your choice (what % of essay?).

Thanks,

Personally, I explained my weekend/weeknight choice in like 2 lines at the end. I concentrated on explaining why I'm pursuing my mba part-time, which I believe counts a lot more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's exactly what I did.

Nick79 wrote:
hardikrs wrote:
rs9099 wrote:

Hey,

Thanks,

Personally, I explained my weekend/weeknight choice in like 2 lines at the end. I concentrated on explaining why I'm pursuing my mba part-time, which I believe counts a lot more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well guys...good news. Found out yesterday that I got in...1st paragraph in the acceptance letter stated congratulations, 2nd asked for $$ asap....thought that was pretty funny.

MCJD4ever wrote:
Well, I think my success story (with a 590 GMAT, below their 80% range) disproves two common theories:

1. People with High GMATs always hear earliest - not true. I probably have the lowest GMAT on this forum, yet I found out relatively early (last day of June)

2. GMAT is main factor/ "everything" - if this were true, I would not have been admitted. It seems that NYU is truthful when they say that their admissions process is "holistic."

Best of luck to you, ubs! We're all pulling for you.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Ubs2010 wrote:
Well guys...good news. Found out yesterday that I got in...1st paragraph in the acceptance letter stated congratulations, 2nd asked for $$ asap....thought that was pretty funny.

CONGRATS! Apparently you only have 3 weeks to put up the money and to start the Kroll process. Speaking of which, I only got an e-mail telling me that the Kroll process has started. I don't know if they contacted my job or anything. I must be a saint and didn't know it. Haha.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  31