Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: McKinsey Test [#permalink]
Hey guys, I took their problem solving test last week and passed so now I'm onto the case interviews. Does anyone who has been through the process have any advice or the best way to practice?

Thanks

Run
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Read case in point.

Learn to explain your thought process and not to blurt out crazy things or immediate answers. Explain your assumptions and their basis, the framework you apply etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I just want to ask the ones who've been through it. Are post-MBA's required to take this test as well? Also, I've heard that some regions of MK don't require the test at all - is this true? I've heard North Americans aren't required but people from Europe and Asia are - how true is this? I just want to clarify what I've seen from other forums.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Also, are there materials out there that one can use to prepare for this test? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just took it and passed onto next rounds. If anyone is going to take it and wants to ask me questions or anything feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a decision from Mckinsey after you apply online? It's been two weeks since I applied, and no word yet, except for the "application received" email the day after. I applied as an experienced professional (7 years) with a MS in Engg..

run4run: Did you hear back right away? What is the PST format like? Can you provide some details?

Thx.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Send PM
The PST format is exactly like the sample that you can find on McK website, just twice as long and with slightly harder questions.

There are 3 separate cases for a total of 26 questions in 60min. For general tips: https://www.mckinsey.com/careers/how_do_ ... guide.ashx

As far as time mamagement goes, you can follow the same strategies that you used/will use in the GMAT. The difference is that here you can skip back and forth with questions, so if you find time consuming questions, or you are unsure about a few answers, skip them and return to them later.

I would say that the test is rightfully administered at the beginning of the selection process as it is the easiest step (only your reasoning skills are tested, while in interviews you will have to think, talk, interact, and be an overall enjoyable person while knowing that everything you do or say is judged).

In my case they corrected the test immediately after it ended, called us one-by-one and told us yay or nay.

As far as hearing back, I submitted my resume and heard back the following day, so they definitely keep up with the applications submitted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the info., Marco83. Just to clarify, did you hear back the following day about the PST and other steps?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Send PM
As I mentioned, the PST was corrected immediately after the end of the test, so the result was communicated to everyone (individually) before leaving the office (i.e. 20min after the end of the test).

For the other steps, I have always been notified within a few hours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Nonprofit
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Hi, I'm taking the test next week and would like some practice. Unfortunately, I'm using a Mac and having trouble opening the file (.ashx). Would anyone have any advice?

EDITED: Figured it out! Just change the .ashx extension to .pdf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
For those who got the interviews from McKinsey after undergrad, which schools did you attend if I may ask?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
same question: do MBAs have to take the test (PST) too? Some say they do, some say they don't. Could any MBA clarify this? Please share with us!

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
You should practice all the available sample PST tests or mock PST tests, since they are reflective of the real test. The PST questions are not that hard, but time is very tight. So far, there are several McKinsey PST sample tests available out there for candidates to practice that can be downloaded from here:
https://www.consultingcase101.com/mckins ... ving-test/

run4run wrote:
Hey All,

I just graduated undergrad and was lucky enough to land a McKinsey 1st round interview coming up in the next 2 or so weeks. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on what to expect and how best to prepare. I know I will face their test and I saw some of the material to prepare but I just wanted advice from those that have faced it.

Thanks so much,

Run
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
If you're a recent MBA, McKinsey will not ask you to take the PST test. As far as I understand, it's mostly for non-MBA APD candidates, like PhD, JD, MD

Daler wrote:
same question: do MBAs have to take the test (PST) too? Some say they do, some say they don't. Could any MBA clarify this? Please share with us!

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts