Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.46
WE:General Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: 750 on the GMAT, day of report and MGMAT review [#permalink]
Kudos
Great score :) Your Verbal rock Man..

Keep us updated with your application... and yea welcome to the Club.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
kahalani, congratulations on your score and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks guys. Actually I'm not sure how I neglected to mention it in my previous posts, but I probably should be thanking GMAT Club (i.e. you guys) as well. I've spent hours and hours on the site since I first thought seriously about an MBA path and taking the GMAT. I'll definitely be back to check in, write in, and add my application to the list once the time is right.

Really though, for test takers and applicants who tend to over-think things or get lost late at night looking for information and clicking through one page after another, this site is both a godsend and terrible drug.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
wow, grats on the great score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Yo Kahalani,

I'm new to studying for the GMAT, so I don't have much of a clue as to how to start studying for the exam. In your opinion, since I'm new to the GMAT, the structure of the exam is new to me, I've never taken a standarized exam, let alone studied for one; my question is if the Manhattan Gmat Live is a good choice vs the Self Version (Pre-recorded MG prep course)
I'm considering the self version, I feel that I'm disciplined enough to start it and finish it.

What else can I do to prepare for a 700+ score while studying this early. My goal is to study effectively with the time that I have, instead of studying useless random materials from companies with different methods and approach's to the exam.

If you were me, starting all over, and studying now for the first time; How would you study, what would you study, and what program would you recommend to a person new to standarized testing, and new to the GMAT.

Also, I Have not taken any math courses since first year of junior college, so I'm really rusty, and need help with math, in your opinion will either program help me out.

What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:IMD, Insead, LBS, IE, Cambridge, Oxford
GPA: 4.74 out of 5
Send PM
great score!!!!
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
kahalani wrote:
College students or recent grads- if you know you'll likely want to go to business school take the exam now. You're a lot more used to exams now than you will be in a few years, and there is no way you'll have more free time in the future, assuming you are working full time.

True kahalani .. Good planning !!

Awesome score and Wish you all the best with your future plans!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
In your opinion, since I'm new to the GMAT, the structure of the exam is new to me, I've never taken a standarized exam, let alone studied for one; my question is if the Manhattan Gmat Live is a good choice vs the Self Version (Pre-recorded MG prep course)

The biggest advantage of the online course is that there are two instructors available, so you can ask questions in a private side chat without slowing down the class. This was really nice, because I--like you say you are-- was also rusty on some quant topics, and I could ask the "stupid" questions without being embarrassed or worrying that I was holding up the class. Also, you get half an hour of one-on-one private tutoring each work during the course. You'd meet online and on the phone, and an instructor would be there with all the books, happy to work through any questions you have, or just work some more an a given topic. I only used it once, but it was great and I should have used it more.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the courses are exactly the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you get the same books, the same online access, the same tests and even full recordings of the same 9 sessions. You'll still have to be motivated and work on your own. The syllabus expects you to put in something like 15 hours a week of outside work, though you can do that after the class if you prefer. The only real advantages of the live online course is having the instructor available to ask questions to, and the weekly private tutoring. Those are pretty big advantages though.

Just to compare to a real live class - This was my only online class experience, and I honestly I think I like it better than in-person class. Having two teachers present was great. Besides for being available to answer questions, it helped to keep the class focused, which prevented me from losing interest. Also the online class is filled with live questions to the class, which is great, since you can see the class spread and better understand how and where you are likely to make mistakes.

Quote:
Also, I Have not taken any math courses since first year of junior college, so I'm really rusty, and need help with math, in your opinion will either program help me out.

Math was also my challenge. Work through the "Math Essentials" book, which will remind (or teach) you of all the basic math you need before you can begin to study for the test itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
I believe this will help me make a decision on the program,there's one that starts in the next few days, so thanks.

Any other tips on what I should be doing now, as far as preperation.
I'm getting in the habit of reading, also I've started to read the Kaplan Online book, any other recommend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Great Job!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]