Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [2]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Are arithmetic and geometric sequences tested on the GMAT? [#permalink]
nonameee wrote:
Hussain15, thanks. I just don't understand how it's possible that they are not listed in the OG's summary of math topics covered by the GMAT.

To me, the OG is just a question bank of previous real GMAT questions nothing more nothing less :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
jakolik wrote:
nonameee wrote:
Hussain15, thanks. I just don't understand how it's possible that they are not listed in the OG's summary of math topics covered by the GMAT.

To me, the OG is just a question bank of previous real GMAT questions nothing more nothing less :)

but level of OG quant is no where near to actual GMAT, just to simulate compare with level in GMATPREP (only if you are aiming 49+)
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
smartmundu wrote:
jakolik wrote:
nonameee wrote:

but level of OG quant is no where near to actual GMAT, just to simulate compare with level in GMATPREP (only if you are aiming 49+)

Please don't say such things without consideration.

The OG covers the ENTIRE spectrum of difficulty and is in ascending difficulty order, thus a small portion of the OG covers 650+ difficulty.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:

Please don't say such things without consideration.

The OG covers the ENTIRE spectrum of difficulty and is in ascending difficulty order, thus a small portion of the OG covers 650+ difficulty.

I have clearly mentioned if aiming 49+, this is my personal opinion.

When i started practicing OG for quants, i am able to do all PS and DS problem under 1 minute (other than 10-15 ques which took around 2min) with 90-95% accuracy but when i took my first old GMATPREP1 i was totally shocked with the level

so whatever I said is my personal opinion

for basics OG is ok (again personal opinion) but i strictly recommend practice GMATPREP's for quants
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing - Product Management
Schools:Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Smartmundu - Have you tried looking at the GMATclub math problems?

I'm in a similar boat and trying to take the next step in my quant preparations.
Still getting a lot out of the gmatclub stuff, but look for anything that can be of use.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
magnetictempest wrote:
Smartmundu - Have you tried looking at the GMATclub math problems?

I'm in a similar boat and trying to take the next step in my quant preparations.
Still getting a lot out of the gmatclub stuff, but look for anything that can be of use.

I joined MasterGMAT course...their Quant content is really good. Just an example on their system i faced around 10-12 different type of Standard Deviation problems similar to what GMAT ask

I am not advertising MasterGMAT but i am really pretty impressed with their Quant section, not with Verbal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
My initial question was how it is possible that sequences are not listed in the OG. Which leads me to my second question: Where can I find a complete list of math topics covered by the GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
My initial question was how it is possible that sequences are not listed in the OG. Which leads me to my second question: Where can I find a complete list of math topics covered by the GMAT?

other then OG there is no authentic course..you can try Manhattan Quant books..you can download 1st chapter of all books from their website and see the Table of Contents
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The reason I asked the question was that I don't want to find myself in a situation when I am asked a question that I wasn't prepared for. So I still don't understand how in the world it is possible that sequences are tested but are not listed in the OG.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
nonameee wrote:
The reason I asked the question was that I don't want to find myself in a situation when I am asked a question that I wasn't prepared for. So I still don't understand how in the world it is possible that sequences are tested but are not listed in the OG.

Sequences are tested, but not directly. They probably wont ask you the nth term of some sequence or the sum to n terms. But they use Word Problems to test this. Say something like a a guitar has six strings... ratios of frequencies... blah blah blah and at the end ask you whats the frequency of first string. Something like this.

Or say a ball falls to the ground from 100m. With every bounce it travels half the height it previosly attained. Whats the total distance covered by the ball? In this problem you have to use the sum upto infinity of the geometric progression.

Must agree that it is not absolutely necessary to know the formulae but you are at an advantage when such questions are asked.

Cheers!

Kudos me if you like this post. :)
GMAT Club Bot