Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA, FRM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Duke, Cornell, Berkeley (All last rounds)
WE 1: Credit Risk Management
WE 2: Equity Strategy (Sell-side research)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
EDIT: I'm reconsidering.

Originally posted by freedom on 25 Jul 2010, 12:52.
Last edited by freedom on 29 Jul 2010, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Received an email last night saying the new deadlines and essays have been posted. Essays look identical to last year's as assumed.

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

Here are the new deadlines as well.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
perseverance wrote:
Received an email last night saying the new deadlines and essays have been posted. Essays look identical to last year's as assumed.

Here are the new deadlines as well.

I'm a waitlister from the 2010 Stern app. Although I still have hopes in getting off the waitlist anytime before September, what's the best strategy in handling the waitlist and reapp?

Will doing a reapp affect waitlist chances? This is an odd situation where one could be a waitlister and a reapp at the same time (if submitted early enough).
Current Student
Send PM
Apart from the ranking, what are the major differences between Columbia and Stern? I couldn't really find any useful link online. Most were partisan in their argument!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
Apart from the ranking, what are the major differences between Columbia and Stern? I couldn't really find any useful link online. Most were partisan in their argument!

I would suggest looking at employment reports and schools' philosophies. Both have a strong slant for finance, but NYU has a huge community focus and Columbia has a strong management consulting network outside of NYC. From first glance, they appear very similar, but once you delve beyond the websites and marketing, details will reveal the differences.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [4]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:

Based on my experience (both are my top 2 choices, I have done a lot of research and visited both campuses) I would largely echo gkumar's points and add the following:

- Columbia is Ivy League, for those concerned with such things;
- NYU is in south Manhattan, more in the "heart" of NYC, whereas Columbia is north of Central Park in East Harlem;
- Columbia's campus is more self-contained than NYU -- Columbia has really old beautiful buildings (other than Uris, the main CBS building) and nice green spaces in a clearly-defined campus, whereas NYU blends into the city more (you could walk through NYU and not realize it's a university if you weren't paying attention);
- IMO, historically Columbia has been ranked higher and if anything has seen its stock fall a little over the past several years, whereas the opposite is true of NYU;
- Columbia's class size is ~730 (including j-term) whereas NYU is ~415; and
- NYU has a part-time MBA, CBS does not -- consequently, NYU's alumni base is claimed to be 80,000, whereas CBS is 38,000.

My personal observation based on visiting the campuses is that NYU felt much smaller and more community-focused, whereas CBS had more of an air of history and prestige. I went into my visits with CBS as my #1 and NYU as my #5, and left with the two tied at #1.

My $0.02.
Current Student
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
w103psp wrote:

Based on my experience (both are my top 2 choices, I have done a lot of research and visited both campuses) I would largely echo gkumar's points and add the following:

- Columbia is Ivy League, for those concerned with such things;
- NYU is in south Manhattan, more in the "heart" of NYC, whereas Columbia is north of Central Park in East Harlem;
- Columbia's campus is more self-contained than NYU -- Columbia has really old beautiful buildings (other than Uris, the main CBS building) and nice green spaces in a clearly-defined campus, whereas NYU blends into the city more (you could walk through NYU and not realize it's a university if you weren't paying attention);
- IMO, historically Columbia has been ranked higher and if anything has seen its stock fall a little over the past several years, whereas the opposite is true of NYU;
- Columbia's class size is ~730 (including j-term) whereas NYU is ~415; and
- NYU has a part-time MBA, CBS does not -- consequently, NYU's alumni base is claimed to be 80,000, whereas CBS is 38,000.

My personal observation based on visiting the campuses is that NYU felt much smaller and more community-focused, whereas CBS had more of an air of history and prestige. I went into my visits with CBS as my #1 and NYU as my #5, and left with the two tied at #1.

My $0.02.

Thanks a lot brainhurt! Kudos...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
The Class profile for 2012..... any thoughts??? 13% acceptance rate??........

Fall 2010 Class Profile (as of July 1, 2010)
One of Stern's greatest assets is its diverse and supportive community.

Estimated class size 390
Selectivity 13%
Average undergraduate GPA 3.5
Undergraduate GPA 80% range 3.1-3.8
Average GMAT score 718
GMAT score 80% range 670-760
Average years of work experience 4.7
Female students 40%
International students and dual citizens 35%
Minority students 31%
Underrepresented minority students 15%
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
brainhurt - fair analysis. Except that Columbia is in West Harlem...

The admit ratio at Stern is always pretty low, I wouldn't be so put off by that.

As for Columbia / NYU, they *feel* very different. People turn one down for the other frequently, and that is mostly based on which suits the personality better. Sure, if you want the Value Investing thing, go to Columbia. But there is a very different atmosphere that suits different people better at either one or the other.

That really doesn't help anyone without visiting, but - in the most part - if you interview with NYU you come to the city, and if you come to the city it only takes twenty minutes out past to get out past the dakota to Columbia and the guys doing wheelies on motorbikes.

They are both good schools. They are mostly considered pretty equal by recruiters (and that goes back as far as 2006 or so, when I had honest discussions with a few people in industries). Some places will have stronger ties with one than the other, but those things are always in flux.

If I were to be a gambler, I would put money on NYU for now, and that is because there is a lot of change going on with the new Dean. It has a feel that something is really happening there right now. But Columbia is set to move campus in (2 years from whenever you read this thread, the thing gets delayed, and delayed, and delayed). It is going even nearer the Bronx. But that could be a big glass building, and we all know what happens when you build a big glass building - ask Booth or Ross.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
brainhurt - fair analysis. Except that Columbia is in West Harlem...

Oops! Quite right.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
One major difference between Columbia and NYU that doesn't get enough press is that if you harbor ambitions of having your wedding covered in the New York Times you should apparently go to Columbia.

https://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/07/columbia_is_the_most-named_uni.html

Draw your own conclusions on what brand implications this might have.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
One major difference between Columbia and NYU that doesn't get enough press is that if you harbor ambitions of having your wedding covered in the New York Times you should apparently go to Columbia.

https://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/07/columbia_is_the_most-named_uni.html

Draw your own conclusions on what brand implications this might have.

Ha ha, kudos!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

I'll add my $0.02 here as well.

I agree that based off multiple visits I have made to both Stern and Columbia, Columbia does have more of an air of aristocracy to it that you might associate with the Ivys. In my attempts to strike up conversations with students, professors and administrators at Columbia, I had a mixed experience. Some were tremendously helpful and willing to give of their time while others seemed disinterested in helping a prospective student. Overall, the good and bad interactions are probably a wash. At Stern, where I have a close friend enrolled (admittedly an unfair advantage when it comes to contacting other students, profs, etc) my interactions have been much more positive. While I have not tried to contact some of the more notable professors, I think it is also worth examining the roster of professors at each school. Stern does have Roubini and if you're interested in finance, one of the real oracles of valuation - Aswath Damodaran.

I also think that Stern's smaller size and underdog status in the Stern v. Columbia fight seems to have created a tighter-knit community that actively works to show how it develops students to chase their professional aspirations. Columbia and its community, in my experience, seem to be more content that its reputation should be enough to attract more top-flight students.

Regarding ranking trends, NYU definitely has the upper hand. In the last few years it has crept up while Columbia has dropped a bit. NYU also has a new Dean and a new building. Uris, which is Columbia's b-school building leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. All that being said, do your diligence and check the endowments for each school. My sense is that Columbia can bankroll physical improvements to the school if it believes that new digs will spur a resurgence in the rankings. You might also consider Columbia's impending expansion in the Morningside Heights neighborhood. As I understand it, the school is creating some new space and I recall visiting a website that tracks the progress of the construction site. Can't say I took the time to walk by it, though.
Current Student
Send PM
phillypointgod21 wrote:
Quote:

I'll add my $0.02 here as well.

I agree that based off multiple visits I have made to both Stern and Columbia, Columbia does have more of an air of aristocracy to it that you might associate with the Ivys. In my attempts to strike up conversations with students, professors and administrators at Columbia, I had a mixed experience. Some were tremendously helpful and willing to give of their time while others seemed disinterested in helping a prospective student. Overall, the good and bad interactions are probably a wash. At Stern, where I have a close friend enrolled (admittedly an unfair advantage when it comes to contacting other students, profs, etc) my interactions have been much more positive. While I have not tried to contact some of the more notable professors, I think it is also worth examining the roster of professors at each school. Stern does have Roubini and if you're interested in finance, one of the real oracles of valuation - Aswath Damodaran.

I also think that Stern's smaller size and underdog status in the Stern v. Columbia fight seems to have created a tighter-knit community that actively works to show how it develops students to chase their professional aspirations. Columbia and its community, in my experience, seem to be more content that its reputation should be enough to attract more top-flight students.

Regarding ranking trends, NYU definitely has the upper hand. In the last few years it has crept up while Columbia has dropped a bit. NYU also has a new Dean and a new building. Uris, which is Columbia's b-school building leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. All that being said, do your diligence and check the endowments for each school. My sense is that Columbia can bankroll physical improvements to the school if it believes that new digs will spur a resurgence in the rankings. You might also consider Columbia's impending expansion in the Morningside Heights neighborhood. As I understand it, the school is creating some new space and I recall visiting a website that tracks the progress of the construction site. Can't say I took the time to walk by it, though.

Indeed, I recently read about the Dean's plan to expand NYU (not necessarily Stern) around the world. I'm headed to NYU and Columbia in September; waiting for the Stern Class Visit Experience and Columbia Host Program to open up.

phillypointgod21, congratulations on your consistent GMAT score improvement! I'm retaking it end of this month and hope to crack the 700 club. Is Stern your #1 choice? I see you're also interested in IB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
w103psp: Thx - I felt like I was fighting the Hundred Years' War with all the time I spent studying for the GMAT and retaking it. It was definitely a feeling of elation when I finally broke through 700. I don't consider myself to be a natural born genius, but I am a hard worker. If you put in the effort, use the resources at your disposal wisely (beat the crap out of the OG...memorize it if you can! And use the GMAT Club tests - they're like steroids for your brain) you can beat the GMAT.

Before moving into higher ed, I worked for a boutique bank for three years doing M&A and capital raising. I would like to "swim upstream" to the bulge bracket and work in NY, so Stern and Columbia are right at the top of my list. Depending on which side of the bed I wake up on, my favorite switches daily. But, I think the bottom line is that if you want to work in finance and you get into Stern or Columbia, you should consider yourself a winner. Either school is going to give you a top-notch finance education, the proverbial "stamp of approval" from a strong finance b-school, access to a powerful network, and the ability to do as much face to face networking on the Street as you can handle. My buddy who just finished his 1st yr at Stern did 20 informal interviews at JPM alone during the fall.

Are you looking at Stern as your #1? Do you have an air-tight story to tell on your essays regarding why you want to get into banking?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Hey w103psp, sorry to jump in your conversation, International applicant here, I´m also aplying to stern as welll as the schools you mention in your profile, interested in S&T... hopes it gets better this year. I will be visiting Stern the first week of october, please let us now how your visit goes and if you have any sugestions after that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
w103psp: one more thing - you're in Cambridge but don't want to make a run at HBS? Just want to get away?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  110   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts