Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Kellogg, Tuck, Ross, Duke, ISB
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
In for R1.

Done with Essay 1 & 4 (failure)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
In for R1. Working on essays now and kicking myself for not using June to write Kellogg essays from 2009-2010.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Once I get on campus and get my bearings, I'll try and check in here from time to time to help you guys out.
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V42
Send PM
For essay four, i am thinking of writing on following topic:

Describe an instance where you encountered resistance in a professional team setting. How did you address the situation?

Though my question may sound weird but still, can we describe an experience from EC for this topic or it has to from profession only??

What do you think folks... Please share your perspective...
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V42
Send PM
And Thank you Boogs for your response.... we will all look forward to your help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
Count me in for R1!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Does anybody know if the essays get read by the ad-com in sequence (that is, Essay #1 first, then #2, #3, and finally #4)?
In trying to establish a complete picture, I thought I'd finish with essays 1,2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order), and then write #3 using evidence laid out in the other three essays. However, this plan might fall apart if the ad-com reads essay #3 before #4 and goes "huh? the applicant hasn't referenced that anywhere".

What are everyone's thoughts?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
Does anybody know if the essays get read by the ad-com in sequence (that is, Essay #1 first, then #2, #3, and finally #4)?
In trying to establish a complete picture, I thought I'd finish with essays 1,2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order), and then write #3 using evidence laid out in the other three essays. However, this plan might fall apart if the ad-com reads essay #3 before #4 and goes "huh? the applicant hasn't referenced that anywhere".

What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm planning to do the same thing for essay #3. Because the question is based on your entire application package, it would be logical for them to read #3 last.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
2011 wrote:
Hey guys,

We are way too slow. Same thread last year had almost seven pages filled by this time and we are at two only.

I hope everyone has started with essays... Let us discuss how to tackle them.

I am currently struggling with Essay Three...

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

There are so many opinions available regarding this essay on web. What is your take?

Can we include new information in it or it has to be written wrt third person and should only be expansion of information presented elsewhere?

Request current Kellogg students to provide their perspective.. Much appreciated

There was a pretty big debate on this in last year's Kellogg thread, so you may want to check out that discussion for some perspective. Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on whether it's 3rd or 1st person or whether it introduces new information. Bottom line, Kellogg is a very participative school and fit with that culture is an important aspect of admissions. This is your chance to demonstrate that fit and talk about how you're going to contribute to Kellogg if you get admitted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:INSEAD, Columbia, Kellogg, Chicago, Wharton
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: Finance (4 yrs)
Send PM
please count me for R1 - thanks!
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
2011 wrote:
Hey guys,

We are way too slow. Same thread last year had almost seven pages filled by this time and we are at two only.

I hope everyone has started with essays... Let us discuss how to tackle them.

I am currently struggling with Essay Three...

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

There are so many opinions available regarding this essay on web. What is your take?

Can we include new information in it or it has to be written wrt third person and should only be expansion of information presented elsewhere?

Request current Kellogg students to provide their perspective.. Much appreciated

There was a pretty big debate on this in last year's Kellogg thread, so you may want to check out that discussion for some perspective. Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on whether it's 3rd or 1st person or whether it introduces new information. Bottom line, Kellogg is a very participative school and fit with that culture is an important aspect of admissions. This is your chance to demonstrate that fit and talk about how you're going to contribute to Kellogg if you get admitted.

Thank you for your quick response Jerz. Yes, i also went through the long debate on this essay question on last year's thread however wanted to know what approach successful candidates have adopted. I was also thinking of conveying some new information in this essay but was bit concerned about not answering the question part. Your response have somewhat allayed my fears.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
2011 wrote:
I was also thinking of conveying some new information in this essay but was bit concerned about not answering the question part. Your response have somewhat allayed my fears.

I decided not to convey any more information in that essay.
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V42
Send PM
hazay wrote:
2011 wrote:
I was also thinking of conveying some new information in this essay but was bit concerned about not answering the question part. Your response have somewhat allayed my fears.

I decided not to convey any more information in that essay.

For me, essays one and two will talk mostly about profession and content of essay four will depend on which question you choose to answer. I am more inclined towards using resistance in team option so again it will be more related to profession. So now i am left with essay three where i can establish and communicate fit with Kellogg. So no other option than to include new information. May be i will try to link it with a point in my resume. But not sure yet.
Current Student
Concentration: JDMBA, Class of 2013
Schools:Northwestern Law / Kellogg School of Management
Send PM
Hi guys, I'm a NL/K JDMBA admit, aka the first batch of admits for class of 2013 =P

For essay 3, I've taken the approach of showing how i'm an interesting classmate and great teammate of others, how I'm a great friend to my peers. Since it's from the "perspective of a student member", i thought you can brainstorm why your friend love you, give a fresh perspective in addition of all your academic excellence and professional achievements in other essays

Just my 2 cents... Good luck for your applications and see you in Kellogg soon~
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Kellogg 2013
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Jerz or any other Kellogg folk reading this thread - is there anywhere on the school's website to obtain this year's recommendation form, or do I just need to wait until the application is live? I'm trying to get details out to my recommenders to give them plenty of time before the R1 deadline. I have last year's version from the 2010 app thread but would love to give them the current one in case something has changed.

For essay 3, I'm taking a similar approach to the one zzway describes (and congrats by the way!). Maybe I'm under-thinking it, but I'm not too worried about whatever structure I choose being a dealbreaker on a technical level. Kind of reminds me of a season finale when the contestants are asked, "Why should you be Top Chef?" Some provide new information, some appeal to skills, some to emotion - there are many ways to make the case.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Going to visit the campus and sit in a class on Aug 3rd. Anyone applying from Chicago wants to meet for coffee next weekend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In for R1
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  179   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert