Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: First Ever MSF Rankings [#permalink]
Great post Anthony. Really good information and accurate assessments of the programs available. I just want to say one more thing regarding WUSTL. The program is much stronger in the Midwest (Chicago) and Northeast/Mid-Atlantic (NYC, Washington D.C.) than in the South. St. Louis is really a Midwestern city (only 4 hours from Chicago). It is pretty weak for placement on the West Coast and Southwest USA (i.e. California, Arizona, Texas, etc.). I tend to think of WUSTL, Vandy and Nova as the best pure MSF programs in the US outside of Princeton. I would add MIT as well but I know nothing of placement for their program and I think of it as more of a MFE program than MSF.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for that info NBD. I get a lot of questions regarding MSF programs so the more info the better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Nova is T2? What about drexel/temple? Being from philly, I know that the city employment is populated with mainly UPenn and Drexel grads with Nova and Temple grads sprinkled here and there. Just an observation.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
When you look at ideal MSF placements they tend to be in NYC. In Philly you only really have Janney, Stifel, PNC, Harris Williams. Outside of that there are a lot of boutiques or smallish PE firms. Many have Nova grads, but Temple and Drexel are represented also. If you go to NYC and look at finance grads the major Philadelphia school, outside of Wharton, is Nova.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AnthonyD1982 wrote:
When you look at ideal MSF placements they tend to be in NYC. In Philly you only really have Janney, Stifel, PNC, Harris Williams. Outside of that there are a lot of boutiques or smallish PE firms. Many have Nova grads, but Temple and Drexel are represented also. If you go to NYC and look at finance grads the major Philadelphia school, outside of Wharton, is Nova.

Gotcha. I'm new here, what does "PE firm" stand for?
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Private Equity.

PM me, I am in Philadelphia also.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I wonder if Nova lied about their b-school stats like they did their law school stats?

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... ls-in.html
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
LOL

Trust me, if Nova was lying about its stats, they would be higher. Expect the stats to increase this year though. Additional applicants have allowed even more selectivity.

In all honesty, MSF programs really have no incentive to lie since there is no real ranking and with the fact that the degree has limited appeal, super high stats will just scare away a lot of good candidates in an already limited pool.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AnthonyD1982 wrote:
LOL

Trust me, if Nova was lying about its stats, they would be higher. Expect the stats to increase this year though. Additional applicants have allowed even more selectivity.

In all honesty, MSF programs really have no incentive to lie since there is no real ranking and with the fact that the degree has limited appeal, super high stats will just scare away a lot of good candidates in an already limited pool.

True. I'm pretty shocked that they weren't disciplined by the ABA in any way though. Law schools (in general) can pretty much fabricate all of their entry and employment statistics if they so choose, and the ABA's nonchalant reaction to Nova proves it. It's quite sad actually.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
GroverCleveland wrote:
AnthonyD1982 wrote:
LOL

True. I'm pretty shocked that they weren't disciplined by the ABA in any way though. Law schools (in general) can pretty much fabricate all of their entry and employment statistics if they so choose, and the ABA's nonchalant reaction to Nova proves it. It's quite sad actually.

It was internally discovered and reported. The entire graduate office was terminated and the school fell substantially in the ranks. There was a lot of fall out from it.

Law school is really over saturated. Three years is a long time and schools keep pumping lawyers out. That is the real sad story.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MFINDreamer wrote:
(As far as I know)

Disclaimer: I am yet to choose a MSF/MMS program, but after going through the interview process at a number of schools and deeply researching many, I feel like I can make a fairly accurate list.

This is for individuals looking to get into Investment Banking advisory, Equity Research, Corporate Finance, or some other non-quantitative field after graduation (in the United States), both MMS and MSF degrees.

Tier 1
1. London Business School Masters in Management
2. London School of Economics MSc Finance
3. Vanderbilt Masters in Finance (Owen)
4. London School of Economics MSc Accounting & Finance
5. Duke Masters in Management Studies (Fuqua)

Tier 2
5. Boston College Masters in Finance (Carroll)
6. University of Virginia Masters in Management (McIntire/Darden)
7. Purdue Masters in Finance (Krannert)
8. Warwick Masters in Finance
9. Washington St. Louis Masters in Finance (Olin)
10. University of Illinois U-C Masters in Finance
11. Villanova Masters in Finance
12. University of Florida Masters in Finance
13. American University Masters in Finance (Kogod)

Tier 3
14. Tulane University Masters in Finance (Freeman)
15. John Hopkins University Masters in Finance
16. University of Texas at Dallas

Hey, I respect your attempt but this ranking is far from valid. Where is Princeton, Imperial College, HEC Paris and Oxford? I might have missed a few others as well..Besides, it is not objective. The names I have mentioned are better than some of the schools in the first tier and most of them in the second tier! Request you not to propound a judgement unless you are are qualified to do so and done the research it takes! Also, you cannot include MS in Management here..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Tier 1:
LSE, LBS, Princeton, MIT

Tier 2:
HEC Paris, Bocconi, St. Gallen, SSE, WUSTL

Tier 3:
Vanderbilt, Warwick, Boston College, Duke, UVA, Rotterdam, Florida
[though Duke and UVA would only be helpful for getting into I-banking or consulting, not S&T]

Tier 4:
Illinois, Tulane, Villanova, Claremont McKenna

I put Florida Tier 3 because this past year looks like they placed very well, but previously not so well. Not sure about Claremont to be honest, there's a few good placements here and there, but not really overall; usually a couple get to bulge brackets for IBD or S&T. IMO programs should be ranked on if they're able to place into bulge brackets or elite boutique banks in NY, SF, Chicago, LA (UBS/CS) or big 3 consulting. Also, if they place into similar quality banks in foreign countries (especially London, HK, Singapore). These are generally the most competitive recruitments.

Edit: Placed Claremont in tier 4 after reviewing their latest profile

Originally posted by sailtheworld on 25 Jun 2011, 18:15.
Last edited by sailtheworld on 26 Jun 2011, 03:28, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
@sailtheworld

yours is a pretty good one

why didnt you consider oxford in it ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Alchemist1320 wrote:
@sailtheworld

yours is a pretty good one

why didnt you consider oxford in it ?

I was mostly looking at programs in the original post. Oxford would be tier 1.

The reason I place UVA and Duke in Tier 3 is because of their lack of placement in S&T.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
sailtheworld wrote:
Tier 1:
LSE, LBS, Princeton, MIT

Tier 2:
HEC Paris, Bocconi, St. Gallen, SSE, WUSTL

Tier 3:
Vanderbilt, Warwick, Boston College, Duke, UVA, Rotterdam, Florida
[though Duke and UVA would only be helpful for getting into I-banking or consulting, not S&T]

Tier 4:
Illinois, Tulane, Villanova, Claremont McKenna

I put Florida Tier 3 because this past year looks like they placed very well, but previously not so well. Not sure about Claremont to be honest, there's a few good placements here and there, but not really overall; usually a couple get to bulge brackets for IBD or S&T. IMO programs should be ranked on if they're able to place into bulge brackets or elite boutique banks in NY, SF, Chicago, LA (UBS/CS) or big 3 consulting. Also, if they place into similar quality banks in foreign countries (especially London, HK, Singapore). These are generally the most competitive recruitments.

Edit: Placed Claremont in tier 4 after reviewing their latest profile

Tier 1 looks about right, but I think it could be expanded for more Euro schools.

Tier 2 is fine for someone looking to work in Europe. WUSTL won't help you overseas and the European schools listed wont help you if you want to work in the states.

Tier 3 Looks about fine for a US focused person, but Warwick isn't going to do anything for you in the US.

Tier 4 could be expanded as well and I would disagree with even having a tier 4 since there really are only 3 tiers.

Tier 1 = Ivy schools or top schools --- Princeton & MIT

Tier 2 = Schools with strong brands and strong alumni. These programs are also mostly regional players.

Villanova, Vanderbilt, UIUC, Claremont, UVA, Duke, Florida, Purdue, WUSTL, OSU etc.

Tier 3 = School that are very regional or city specific. UT Dallas will be great for working in Dallas. Oklahoma would do well in that state, etc. These programs will have limited reach outside of their core area.

The reason why many rankings fail is the niche nature of an MSF. For example, I just looked at Tulanes placements. Tulane is very strong in the south and for energy. Villanova, a school I known very well, places entirely in Philadelphia and NYC. So if you want to work in Texas and in energy, rankings would be worthless, you should always pick Tulane.

Claremont has a great program with impressive placements. They tend to take a lot of people from Pomona (great school) and look for high GMAT scores. Their placements also tended to be mostly west coast.

If you want to work in Cali, Claremont is your choice, regardless of rankings.

Until the degree gets to be more known and accepted, ranking will only suffice in making the individual feel better about their respective choice. The MSF degree is not strong enough to transcend geographic restrictions.

A Wharton MBA can work anywhere. Outside of Princeton and MIT, no MSF program has that respect or brand strength to truly say that themselves.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Master in Finance Rankings [#permalink]
Last week (June 20, 2011) also the Financial Times has published a Master in Finance Ranking. Actually they published two: The first one includes 30 programs that do not require prof exp:

(Pre-Experience Ranking)
HEC Paris
IE Business School
Essec Business School
University of Oxford: Saïd
Warwick Business School
Grenoble Graduate School of Business
ESCP Europe
Imperial College Business School
Skema
EM Lyon Business School
City University: Cass
Universität St.Gallen
HEC Lausanne
Brandeis University
Stockholm School of Economics
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
Eada
Cranfield School of Management
Washington University: Olin
Illinois Institute of Technology: Stuart
Henley Business School
Kozminski University
University of Bath School of Management
University of Strathclyde Business School
University of Edinburgh Business School
Tulane University: Freeman
Lancaster University Management School
Durham Business School
Faculdade de Economia of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa
University Co[/list]llege Dublin: Smurfit

The second one includes only 3 programs that require prof exp (Post-Experience Ranking):
London Business School
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Melbourne
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey bro :o , I got Qs to ask:

I'm graduating from LSE Accounting & Finance 2011, hasn't got the final result yet, but I guess First Class Honors won't be mine. I'm planning to take MSc Finance in either Warwick, Imperial College, Durham, UIUC, or Olin. It may take place 2 or 3 years more after I got working experiences.

My question is: how big is my chance to be accepted by those schools given my result which is not too fantastic but not too bad?

Then, which one is the most suitable for me in ur opinion?

Thank u :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts