Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [40]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [17]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: For the first time since influenza vaccines became popular, the demand [#permalink]
Kudos
Awaiting the OA.

My answer: D

For the first time since influenza vaccines became popular, the demand for the vaccine exceeds the supply in our state. In order to manage the impact of this shortage on public health, the governor has issued a directive ordering that the vaccine be made available first to groups most vulnerable to serious complications from the illness. The directive states that all children under the age of 12 and all seniors over the age of 80 will be given the first opportunity to receive the vaccine at special flu-shot clinics hosted by local elementary schools and senior citizens' centers. The special clinics will be open for three consecutive weekdays from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the governor's directive will not minimize the number of serious complications arising from influenza infections?

(A) Many of the state's residents question the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine.
Doesn't matter, since the vaccine does what is does and it has become popular. Besides, it is not related to the argument.

(B) Most people between the ages of 12 and 80 who received the vaccine last year will not be eligible to receive the vaccine at the special flu-shot clinics.
Ok, they might not be immediately eligible, but the governor must have thought about this before coming at any conclusion. This is just a fact statement.

(C) Of the patients who developed serious complications after contracting the influenza virus during the past decade, nearly ten percent had been vaccinated for the virus.
Ok they may have been, but this doesn't weaken the governor's decision.

(D) The majority of the state's senior citizens over the age of 80 who live at home suffer from conditions that make transporting those citizens difficult, unsafe, or inconvenient.
Correct. If the majority of 80+ people won't be able to reach the vaccine centres then it is a double loss for the nation. Since, 80+ people won't be able to get the vaccine plus other people between the range of 12 - 80 also won't be able to get the vaccine in their place.

(E) Some children under the age of 12 are home-schooled and have never been to any of the local elementary schools.
Those children can always be taken to the school for vaccination.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: For the first time since influenza vaccines became popular, the demand [#permalink]
EDITED
souvik101990 wrote:
For the first time since influenza vaccines became popular, the demand for the vaccine exceeds the supply in our state. In order to manage the impact of this shortage on public health, the governor has issued a directive ordering that the vaccine be made available first to groups most vulnerable to serious complications from the illness. The directive states that all children under the age of 12 and all seniors over the age of 80 will be given the first opportunity to receive the vaccine at special flu-shot clinics hosted by local elementary schools and senior citizens' centers. The special clinics will be open for three consecutive weekdays from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Demand for Influenza vaccine > Supply --> Governor has issued a directive i.e. vaccine be made available to groups MOST vulnerable to serious complications => Children below 12 and Adults over 80 will be given preference at LOCAL elementary schools and senior citizen's centers.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the governor's directive will not minimize the number of serious complications arising from influenza infections?

Quote:
(A) Many of the state's residents question the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine.

This is irrelevant to the governor's directive. OUT!

Quote:
(B) Most people between the ages of 12 and 80 who received the vaccine last year will not be eligible to receive the vaccine at the special flu-shot clinics.

We are only concerned with children below the age of 12, and adults above the age of 80, so the group between 12 and 80 is irrelevant to this passage. OUT!

Quote:
(C) Of the patients who developed serious complications after contracting the influenza virus during the past decade, nearly ten percent had been vaccinated for the virus.

I spent a good 15 seconds on this option as it did seem tempting, but it doesn't undermine the governor's directive BUT does state the the vaccine sucked for 10% of the patients. The plan could still work, and minimise serious complications. OUT!

Quote:
(D) The majority of the state's senior citizens over the age of 80 who live at home suffer from conditions that make transporting those citizens difficult, unsafe, or inconvenient.

If it'll be difficult to transport majority of the senior citizens to these elementary schools, or senior citizen homes then they would not be able to get the appropriate vaccine to prevent influenza. Seems like the correct answer.

Quote:
(E) Some children under the age of 12 are home-schooled and have never been to any of the local elementary schools.

Irrelevant. OUT.

D is the answer for me.

Originally posted by akshayk on 15 Aug 2017, 12:54.
Last edited by akshayk on 15 Aug 2017, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Just a small doubt I had about option D.. This option talks about citizens over the age of 80.. The other priority group for the vaccines is children under the age of 12, a group which is not discussed in the option.. Hence, it is quite possible that the number of cases of serious complications from influenza could still be reduced (atleast in the case of children under the age of 12)..

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.. GMATNinja

Cheers :)
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Send PM
rs47 wrote:
Just a small doubt I had about option D.. This option talks about citizens over the age of 80.. The other priority group for the vaccines is children under the age of 12, a group which is not discussed in the option.. Hence, it is quite possible that the number of cases of serious complications from influenza could still be reduced (atleast in the case of children under the age of 12)..

Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere..

Cheers :)

Hi, I am no expert but let me give it a try.

The premise says that BOTH the groups are vulnerable. Yes, some children below the age of 12 will be saved but what about the other priority group. The premise doesn't make a distinction between 80+ and below 12 age groups. I considers BOTH the groups EQUALLY as priority groups.

Now if you want to weaken the argument, you must weaken the conclusion and NOT the premise, since a premise is always correct. In a strengthen/weaken question a correct answer choice can either weakly strengthen/weaken or strongly strengthen/weaken the argument. Albeit option D talks about only 80+ age group, it is definitely weakening the argument, since if 80+ people won't be vaccinated then the nation will suffer a DOUBLE BLOW.
1. Majority of 80+ people won't get vaccinated.
2. This vaccine could have been given to the people in the 12 - 80 age group.

Thus, even if this option doesn't talk about the other priority group, it definitely weakens the argument.

Hope that helps :)
Please correct me if you find anything susceptible.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:

Hi, I am no expert but let me give it a try.

The premise says that BOTH the groups are vulnerable. Yes, some children below the age of 12 will be saved but what about the other priority group. The premise doesn't make a distinction between 80+ and below 12 age groups. I considers BOTH the groups EQUALLY as priority groups.

Now if you want to weaken the argument, you must weaken the conclusion and NOT the premise, since a premise is always correct. In a strengthen/weaken question a correct answer choice can either weakly strengthen/weaken or strongly strengthen/weaken the argument. Albeit option D talks about only 80+ age group, it is definitely weakening the argument, since if 80+ people won't be vaccinated then the nation will suffer a DOUBLE BLOW.
1. Majority of 80+ people won't get vaccinated.
2. This vaccine could have been given to the people in the 12 - 80 age group.

Thus, even if this option doesn't talk about the other priority group, it definitely weakens the argument.

Hope that helps :)
Please correct me if you find anything susceptible.

Regards

Hi gmatexam439.. Thanks for your reply.. However, if you see the question, it talks only about reduction in the number of cases of serious complications:

"Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the governor's directive will not minimize the number of serious complications arising from influenza infections?"

So, if the number of cases in the under-12 demographic group is reduced, the governor's directive would not really be weakened.. Option D can be chosen on the grounds that it is the best amongst the given ones.. But IMHO, it is not a very strong option..

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere..
Send PM
rs47 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439.. Thanks for your reply.. However, if you see the question, it talks only about reduction in the number of cases of serious complications:

"Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the governor's directive will not minimize the number of serious complications arising from influenza infections?"

So, if the number of cases in the under-12 demographic group is reduced, the governor's directive would not really be weakened.. Option D can be chosen on the grounds that it is the best amongst the given ones.. But IMHO, it is not a very strong option..

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere..

Hi rs47,

Yes you are correct, BUT only when we speak of the rule in general terms.
Generally, if in a question we have a list of things/events/options, then a true strengthener/weakener will take into account all the things/events/options.

However, in this very question we can not argue easily by saying that what if all the children below the age of 12 were vaccinated? This is because, we ought to MINIMISE the count and thus even if we prove that any one priority group will be negatively impacted, we WILL HAVE made our point that the MINIMISATION hasn't taken place.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:

Hi rs47,

Yes you are correct, BUT only when we speak of the rule in general terms.
Generally, if in a question we have a list of things/events/options, then a true strengthener/weakener will take into account all the things/events/options.

However, in this very question we can not argue easily by saying that what if all the children below the age of 12 were vaccinated? This is because, we ought to MINIMISE the count and thus even if we prove that any one priority group will be negatively impacted, we WILL HAVE made our point that the MINIMISATION hasn't taken place.

Hope it makes sense.

Regards

Thanks gmatexam439 for your reply.. But to be honest, I'm not very convinced with this line of reasoning and I feel that the answer to a strengthen question should should take into account all options.. That said, in this case, I think I should just accept the answer and move on..

Had the same question appeared on my actual gmat, I guess I may have chosen the wrong option..

Cheers!! :)
Send PM
rs47 wrote:

Thanks gmatexam439 for your reply.. But to be honest, I'm not very convinced with this line of reasoning and I feel that the answer to a strengthen question should should take into account all options.. That said, in this case, I think I should just accept the answer and move on..

Had the same question appeared on my actual gmat, I guess I may have chosen the wrong option..

Cheers!! :)

This is the beauty of GMAT, it's so diverse that it makes one feel very compassionate about itself. One just cannot stop thinking and growing.
Lets wait for Sir Charles OE. :)

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
For the first time since influenza vaccines became popular, the demand [#permalink]
The majority of the state's senior citizens over the age of 80 who live at home suffer from conditions that make transporting those citizens difficult, unsafe, or inconvenient.

Difficult, unsafe or inconvenient does not mean that senior citizens cannot receive vaccines, right?

Option C says that nearly ten percent had been vaccinated for the virus, and it implies that nearly 90 percent had not been vaccinated for the virus. In turn, these people could possibly spread the virus.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
The who in answer choice d makes this question poorly written. We have no way of knowing how many people over the age 80 live at home. What if it's 3 and 2 are unable to receive vaccines. I would agree the gmat ninja's answer but the answer choice doesn't refer to all people who are over 80 just those who live at home.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question Of The Day: Day 82: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Summary of passage
Governor wants to give shots to old age people and children first as supply is less demand is more. So we need to focus on what are the possible ways the idea may fail?

(A) Many of the state's residents question the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine. (Out of context)

(B) Most people between the ages of 12 and 80 who received the vaccine last year will not be eligible to receive the vaccine at the special flu-shot clinics. (still remaining children and old people can be vaccinated)

(C) Of the patients who developed serious complications after contracting the influenza virus during the past decade, nearly ten percent had been vaccinated for the virus. (this has nothing to do with plan proposed by governor)

(D) The majority of the state's senior citizens over the age of 80 who live at home suffer from conditions that make transporting those citizens difficult, unsafe, or inconvenient. (Correct Answer)

(E) Some children under the age of 12 are home-schooled and have never been to any of the local elementary schools. (Compare D & E, still home schooled children can be made to reach vaccination centre)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I would be surprised if this is an official question. “The majority of people over 80 that live at home” what if there are 3 people out of 100000 that live at home and the majority is only 2 out of the 3. Guess D is the best answer but not a great question IMO

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts