Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [94]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Best MBA Books [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you!
I just purchased How To Get Into the Top MBA Programs... waiting for that in the mail.

Interested in the Princton Review @ Isiadinso book as well

Update: I just finished the Great Application Essays for Business School book and found it very informative. The book does mainly focus on just applications but gives some pointers for the letters of rec part too. Easy and quick read ~ 168 pages.

I think if you're having some trouble with the creativity or the themes of your essays, this is a great book to read, sleep on what you read and tackle them the next days.

Originally posted by thisguy310 on 15 Aug 2010, 22:34.
Last edited by thisguy310 on 26 Aug 2010, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
balki1867 wrote:
Just my $0.02 -- I wasn't a big fan of Montauk's book.

The stats for MBA programs are completely off (due to GMAT inflation over the last ten years), and the some of the sample essays are atrocious -- I'm shocked some of these people got into B-school, they couldn't tell a story with a coherent point. Additionally, he quotes a lot of B-school AdCom members and most of the advice is either really trite, ("Be Yourself. We want to get to know you as a person.") or it directly contradicts other advice in the book.

I bought the book in the summer of 2007 and applied in Fall 2008, so its possible there is a new edition that is better. In general though, I would recommend getting it from your local library and seeing how useful you think it is.

Thanks for the feedback - I thought it was the best MBA Applications book I have found so far, at least for starters. (I have the 2010 edition). I liked the Princeton Book but it was 50 pages vs 500, so does not come in comparison. With that, I am fully in agreement with you - the essays are really old and it has a few other issues - for sure. Any other book you would recommend instead? I am very open to recommendations!!!

P.S. Also, I am trying to look at these books from a perspective of an applicant and somebody who does not have my or possibly your knowledge from hanging out on GC (for years in my case), so take some of my thoughts with a grain of salt since they may not be written for you per se, but this is also why I would love feedback, since I am trying to think like a newbie and that may not work very well.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rux10 wrote:
Hi bb,

I found, 'The best business schools admissions secrets' by Chioma Isiadinso, very good. Easy read, covers all main application topics thoroughly and focuses on the applicant developing and highlighting a 'personal brand'. The writer does this in a non-gimmicky way, which I liked. I thought it was great for my first MBA application book.

Thank you for the thoughts. I am actually not very impressed with the book. I have read/skimmed through about a third of it and put it down. I have also read through Amazon reviews and found many rave reviews written by single posters, and that turned me off. I also think the whole concept of writing a book titled "Best Business Schools Admissions Secrets" and not actually including any in the book was lame.

On the positive side, the "personal brand" theme is very very good - I liked that concept very much and esp that it goes through the entire book and ties it together.

(The author even puts gmatclub as a resource at the back of the book, which I appreciate)

If anybody else feels that it is a worthy book, please let me know, or perhaps could you post your review here? Also would love to hear how it compares to other admissions books, esp any ones listed here. The goal is to have the best of the best!

Thank you!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Paul Bodine's book is popular on the forums (currently out of print; used copies available on amazon; new edition coming in Dec/Jan 2011).

I also recently obtained a copy of Alex Chu's book, which I found very comprehensive (PDF only version); Kindle version available as well for $50.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
As a current applicant in the middle of the application process, I've found Paul Bodine's book to be the best resource when it comes to essay brainstorming/writing. I agree that the essays in Montauk's book seemed boring and didn't really tell a story. Bodine's book is a great starting point and is an easy and logical read. It really addresses how to look at the essay sets as a whole and prepare your stories using a holisitic approach.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you everyone for the comments. I have added a Star-Rating system underneath the books, please feel free to provide your feedback/rating about each of the books.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
''I also think the whole concept of writing a book titled "Best Business Schools Admissions Secrets" and not actually including any in the book was lame''

Haha, excellent point. I hadn't really thought of how badly matched the title and actual content of the book were. There were very few actual 'secrets'. You may have a lot of trouble thinking like a newbie because you can't really ignore all of the lessons you've learned throughout the years! For me, as a first book, I was just looking for one source of factual information regarding the whole application process. From essay brainstorming to what to do if waitlisted etc. In a broader sense the book was indeed sub par but I had nothing to compare it to! Do you think Montauks book is the way foward for me at this stage? It seems like Bodines wouldnt be that far off the book I read as Bodine seems to be a good 'starter' book. Cheers!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Kudos
I found Avi Gordon’s MBA Admissions Strategy to be very useful. It clearly explains the need to have a theme/message underlying all aspects of your application, and it categorises the pool of possible essay titles well. Good emphasis was also put on the planning process which helps you understand your own profile and makes essay writing much smoother. I guess none of that is groundbreaking, but I liked his style nonetheless. Without it, my app would have been a mish mash of unrelated anecdotes.

I picked up Montauk’s book too, don’t think it was any more useful that Gordon’s despite being several times larger.
Founder
Founder
Send PM