Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Why do you need an MBA?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 2: 690  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: How to sell your "Why do you want to do an MBA"? [#permalink]
Good question why an MBA

I've been thinking almost a year about it and realised that it's the best way for me to challenge myself how well I can influence people..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It appears like a consensus that for most people, MBA is the aim-and the career position follows?

Just wanted to find out if i was alone in not having the career, but the MBA at the center of my quest.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i dont think there's a wrong reason. Let's face it, not every applicant is gonna have the vision of being a saint in helping people. I know some people who gets it to advance in career which is a perfectly fine reason but one probably need to embellish it on the essays. Some people want to make more money in a post mba type job which again is fine imo but saying that in essay might not be a good idea. Most people who does mba probably want a better paying job/career or else it makes little sense to be unemployed with ~100k debt. Some might not admit it and might say something different in their essays - i guess you gotta play the admission's game.

for me personally I had the idea all along although it was not as specific as now. I started thinking about MBA after undergrad but i noticed the WE required so i laid low and focused on Master degree etc. I always had the idea of switch careers or at least make the management ladder on my field - i certainly DID NOT want to write software for the rest of my life!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Kudos
Someone should do a study on the success rate of MBA career goal essays. I was just reading an LBS' student's blog and she got in to LBS with the goal of moving from ibanking to non-profit work. Lo and behold post graduation she's back in ibanking. Honestly, I'm not sure why so much emphasis is given on career goals. I mean why does someone go to law school? Why do you go to med school? Do med school applicants need to know that their dream is to be a pediatrician? Isn't is enough to know that you want to be a doctor?

Maybe explains why Wharton trimmed their goals essay from 1000 words to 300. They want applicants to get to the point and give a concise summary of their professional objectives rather than blabber on how the MBA is going to lead them to their dream job.

My guess is not more than 20% of successful applicants live up to their short term goals in their applications. And probably less than 10% with long term goals. I know 3 people who have graduated from Kellogg, LBS and Booth recently and none of them envisioned they'd be doing what they are doing right now prior to starting their MBA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
staind wrote:
Someone should do a study on the success rate of MBA career goal essays. I was just reading an LBS' student's blog and she got in to LBS with the goal of moving from ibanking to non-profit work. Lo and behold post graduation she's back in ibanking. Honestly, I'm not sure why so much emphasis is given on career goals. I mean why does someone go to law school? Why do you go to med school? Do med school applicants need to know that their dream is to be a pediatrician? Isn't is enough to know that you want to be a doctor?

Maybe explains why Wharton trimmed their goals essay from 1000 words to 300. They want applicants to get to the point and give a concise summary of their professional objectives rather than blabber on how the MBA is going to lead them to their dream job.

My guess is not more than 20% of successful applicants live up to their short term goals in their applications. And probably less than 10% with long term goals. I know 3 people who have graduated from Kellogg, LBS and Booth recently and none of them envisioned they'd be doing what they are doing right now prior to starting their MBA.

i agree. That's also the part of my head thinking people just tried to "get by" the essay and make a convincing story. And they will probably say they have "many goals" and they just wrote a very convincing goal that they will less likely to implement which doesnt make them liars.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
staind wrote:

You might look at the career goal essay with a different angle. It s a very good tool to see if a candidate is able to position himself in the job market.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
staind wrote:

I think a lot of people simply write what they think adcom wants to hear. For the genuine people out their, their aspirations may change or the money is just too good in banking, consulting, etc. I think less than 10% of people in general - MBA or not - end up following their long-term goals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
There's nothing wrong with not knowing for sure, but I'm not sure that's the point. Business schools want to know that you're able to at least articulate ONE career path. The fact that you'll probably choose something else isn't that big a deal to them. If you're able to research it, connect it back to your previous experience, and make it sound plausible, they at least know a good deal about you.

In addition, it kind of makes sure that every student at least has some idea when they go to business school of a path they could potentially take. With recruitment starting very quickly in business school, you don't actually have that much time to figure things out. Going in with some idea will help with that.

To my mind, I'd rather have someone who is able to talk specifically about whta they want to do, even though they're not really sure about it in their heart of hearts than someone who hasn't done the work to figure out one possibility.

Remember that essays are simply TOOLS for the adcomms. They serve no further purpose than to help sort people into admit and deny piles (or, if you want, "invite to interview, don't invite to interview" piles)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot