Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stern Part-time
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: New York Cares Team Leader Volunteer
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, HR
Schools:Stern, Zicklin, Fordham
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 2 years @ Insurance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:NYU Stern/Fordham/Rutgers
GPA: 3.47
WE 1: 3 years
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern-Langone Fall 2010 [#permalink]
Kudos
today wrote:
ChickenDinner wrote:
Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I was able to find out which courses I'm registered for this fall.

Go to Stern Info Site: https://ais.stern.nyu.edu/Login.html
Login with your student ID/PW
Click "Remaining Requirements" on the left menu bar... this will run a degree audit. It should show which classes you've been placed into for fall.

You can possibly narrow it down and find out which core group you are from there. I have Firms & Markets and Stats & Data Analysis which narrows me down to Green or Purple (my #2 and #3 choice).

Hope this helps some folks out!

you can also figure it out by logging onto https://home.nyu.edu.
go to the "academics" tab, and at the bottom under "blackboard courses" it'll list you the courses you're registered for, including the course sections. you can look up the sections to see what day the course is held.
i'm in Leadership in Org on mondays, which means i'm Yellow :)
(i'm waiving out of stats)

btw, the new student database is up :)

A few questions:
1) When I go to Chicken Dinner's link and select Remaining Requirements, it says Leadership in Org. and Statistics & Data Analysis...does that mean Yellow?

2) When I go to Intern's link it says "Sorry, your roles have not yet been defined. Please try again tomorrow." Has anyone else gotten this message? It has been saying this for two days and wondering if I should be concerned.

3) Where is the new student database? Can someone post a link?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bskool, yes, you're in Yellow, since those are my classes for the Fall! Woo-hoo! I know a classmate.

Also, here's the link to the New Student Database. If not, follow these directions:
head over to https://stern.nyu.edu/Academic Affairs
Part-Time
Incoming New Students
New Student Tour
Enter your login info
And then on your left, click "Who are my Classmates?"
Scroll down for the link to the new student database!

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/langone/tour/classmates.cfm
Intern
Intern
Send PM
langone2009 wrote:
am2010 wrote:
langone2009,

Hi am2010,
You need a laptop/computer for homework, email, study group, etc. If you have a desktop with the right programs that's fine, but you may need to bring your work laptop to use in study groups. It does not have to be dedicated to Stern, but you need to have one available to you.
You won't ned to "look up" anything during class. Just take notes with pen and paper and participate in discussions.

Thanks Langone2009, that clears up quite a bit. If I decided to get a new one, I can strike a balance as far as weight/power if know where all I will end up carrying it to. I guess as a PT student, and that too a weekender, I need not be that much concerned about weight.

Anyway, in business schools the preference is towards Windows (as opposed to macs) right? Esp given the heavy use of Excel macros etc? I noticed that the NYU store recommends, for Stern, a virtualized windows license as well.

Originally posted by am2010 on 18 Aug 2010, 08:56.
Last edited by am2010 on 18 Aug 2010, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
tt11234 wrote:
hello all,
can someone give me an estimated figure of how much someone has to spend on the PT NYU MBA degree, excluding living expense (because i live in new york)? i am going to estimate the budget for the MBA. thanks in advance!!

any help here? thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Is anyone giving the proficiency exam this Saturday (to waive the core courses) ? I have registered to give the Stats exam and was wondering if anyone has further details on the exam. It seems like its a two hour exam and I also found a sample paper. Does anyone have any other details ?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
tt11234 wrote:
tt11234 wrote:
hello all,
can someone give me an estimated figure of how much someone has to spend on the PT NYU MBA degree, excluding living expense (because i live in new york)? i am going to estimate the budget for the MBA. thanks in advance!!

any help here? thanks!

here's a quick fermi estimate of sorts - 6 credits has amounted to about 10K in tuition and fees, in one semester. thus , 60 credits would be, like 100K+ ?

Plus expenses which can vary depending on your situation/location/schedule etc. books/computer etc would be extra.

This is all very coarse, of course - for more accuracy one could use the tuition guidelines from Stern webpage. Figure a 5% increase in tuition every year, perhaps?

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/bursar/forms/paymtwkshtF10.pdf
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
thanks am2010!! i guess the total expense is 100k...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tt11234 wrote:
thanks am2010!! i guess the total expense is 100k...

That is atleast 100K without taking inflation into account and other living / books / meals / travel expenses.

If you value the loss of your time (extra work away from family etc..) that is extra too.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
am2010 wrote:

Thanks Langone2009, that clears up quite a bit. If I decided to get a new one, I can strike a balance as far as weight/power if know where all I will end up carrying it to. I guess as a PT student, and that too a weekender, I need not be that much concerned about weight.

Anyway, in business schools the preference is towards Windows (as opposed to macs) right? Esp given the heavy use of Excel macros etc? I noticed that the NYU store recommends, for Stern, a virtualized windows license as well.

I can say that is the case for the Stats class as the Minitab program works only on Windows. However, if you already have a MacBook (Pro, Air, or Regular), you can just install Parallel and then you can switch between the two (Windows and Mac OSx/Snow Leopord). That's what I plan on doing instead of purchasing a new laptop.

But my eyes have been oogling a netbook for a while, and I am finding less and less reasons to NOT get one...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Chickendinner---looks like I have the same classes as you- Firms, and Statistics- listed in that order. Do you know what days those are on?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
arruhbee wrote:
I can say that is the case for the Stats class as the Minitab program works only on Windows. However, if you already have a MacBook (Pro, Air, or Regular), you can just install Parallel and then you can switch between the two (Windows and Mac OSx/Snow Leopord). That's what I plan on doing instead of purchasing a new laptop.

But my eyes have been oogling a netbook for a while, and I am finding less and less reasons to NOT get one...

arruhbee, there might be another issue, something I have not looked up in detail yet. Still you might be okay if you stick with VMWare or Parallels to run your windows apps in Mac. Several classes might make heavy use of Excel and Excel macros etc. Now, Excel's back-end is a programming script called VBA, which is not available in Office 2008 *for* Mac. so I am not sure how much Excel programming will work in Mac Office/Excel. However, it is rumoured that Office 2011 for Mac will support VBA.

In any case this would probably be not an issue when you run it using VMWare or Parallels. And much of the stuff on Apps@Stern would/should not be affected by any of this.

Funny, I have been eyeing a macbook Pro for a while now, and was thinking I might just as well take the plunge now, but some research is due now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NYU
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
indiglo789 wrote:
Chickendinner---looks like I have the same classes as you- Firms, and Statistics- listed in that order. Do you know what days those are on?

There's two core groups that have that same lineup: Firms & Markets, and Statistics & Data Analysis.

Depending on the core group you're in, it can be on different days. Purple, for example, has Firms on Mondays and Stats on Wednesdays. Green has it swapped.

Log into NYUHome and check which sections you're registered for... you can compare that against the core groups listed in the Student Tour.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
brohan wrote:
Hi all,

Is anyone giving the proficiency exam this Saturday (to waive the core courses) ? I have registered to give the Stats exam and was wondering if anyone has further details on the exam. It seems like its a two hour exam and I also found a sample paper. Does anyone have any other details ?

Thanks.

hi brohan,
i'm taking the stats exam on saturday as well. unfortunately, i don't know any more information than you do. in the email, it says exams "should be completed in pencil or pen" so i guess it's not computer based. other than that they're very vague on details.
oh well, good luck! i hope we both pass :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got this email from Stern, is this the same email you guys are talking about: you get when Kroll process is completed?

Dear New Langone MBAs,

Welcome to Stern!

This is a reminder that your Fall schedule can now be viewed by logging onto New Student Tour website. On the first page, click on "View your Fall 2010 Schedule".

Please check your results carefully, as some of you were placed into alternate core group when your primary selection was closed.

If you have any questions, please contact us at (212) 998-0660, or by e-mailing us.

Regards,
Office of Records & Registration

Originally posted by hardikrs on 19 Aug 2010, 12:23.
Last edited by hardikrs on 20 Aug 2010, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
brohan wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks.

Hey brohan - I'm waiving both the Micro & Macro Econ classes and I am waiting to hear back on my request for an automatic waiver for Statistics since I was a Math minor who took 2 calculus-based stats classes plus 2 advanced level Econometrics classes in Undergrad, though wasn't formally a Statistics "major" - what kind of school has Statistics as a "major" anyway?

I thought I remember seeing a sample Statistics exam a while ago, but they seem to have taken it down and now I can only find the minimally helpful 'topic list.' In the event I actually have to waste 2 hours of my time proving I know what standard deviation and the Central Limit Theorem are, would you be able to post the link to the sample exam you have?

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got an Email from NYU informing me that the Kroll process is complete and file closed. I guess that's good, undergrad degree etc verified now. Also got the registration/schedule email.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello fellow weekenders, just to confirm, is the 1st class scheduled for Sept 25th then?Lol just want to make sure!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31