Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Financial Services, 2 years (3 at matriculation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Financial Services, 2 years (3 at matriculation)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
Anybody aware if Cornell has an aversion to applicants without clearly defined career paths. To elaborate: is there any risk if, in the career essay, an applicant gives a rough career path rather than a clearly defined one (i.e., "I'd like to work in XYZ industry with the following key aspects in the job" verses "I want to work in X industry doing Y job with A, B, and C characteristics")?

Any light to be shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Nitty Gritty Cornell Application question [#permalink]
Right, so a quick question: for the "education" section do you only fill in your undergraduate University or do you also fill in your high school as an institution?
Same goes for the transcripts, do they need high school transcripts?

Thanks for your help!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Re: Nitty Gritty Cornell Application question [#permalink]
chambax wrote:
Right, so a quick question: for the "education" section do you only fill in your undergraduate University or do you also fill in your high school as an institution?
Same goes for the transcripts, do they need high school transcripts?

Thanks for your help!!!

I haven't applied to Cornell so I don't know if there's something in particular with their application that's prompting your question, but based on my applications to other schools I don't think they want to know your high school info, and almost certainly not your high school transcripts. The other apps I've seen specify "university" or "undergraduate".
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink]
Yeah
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi everyone... i'm applying in R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi ppl, new 1st year student here... Preliminary data says that acceptance rate for the class of 2012 was 15% - one of the most competitive years ever. If I hear anything new will let you know!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Yale
 Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Send PM
In for Round 1! Good luck, everybody!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools: Duke , Darden , Tuck , Ross
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Cornell is a great school and I am planning to apply round 1. Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on their unique question 3, table of contents..how are the fellow applicants planning to approach this? I was thinking of creating a list and sub-headings to highlight that event.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Send PM
Cornellian12 wrote:
Hi ppl, new 1st year student here... Preliminary data says that acceptance rate for the class of 2012 was 15% - one of the most competitive years ever. If I hear anything new will let you know!

I thought they said 20% or so during math camp (I didn't go but that's what someone told me)? Where did you hear the 15%?
Current Student
Send PM
inTuna wrote:
Cornell is a great school and I am planning to apply round 1. Just out of curiosity, any thoughts on their unique question 3, table of contents..how are the fellow applicants planning to approach this? I was thinking of creating a list and sub-headings to highlight that event.

List and sub-headings would work. I don't think there's one right way of doing this, they just want you to be creative, so try to highlight points in your life that you want them to focus on (also to reinforce the brand you've already created throughout your app).

As an aside, I apologize that I haven't been on as much as I'd like, but orientation is crazy at the moment (I'm a first year student at Johnson). I'll be posting a roll call thread that is formatted as per GC rules and we'll get some lists going. I appreciate your patience and in the meantime, I'll try to address promptly any questions potential applicants might have, so post away :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Quote:
I'll try to address promptly any questions potential applicants might have, so post away :)

ariel, I will be the first one to ask I guess. I know you are pursuing 2 year program, but do you have any idea about the acceptance rate in AMBA program? I would like to visit the campus, but I can't schedule any date yet as Cornell has not opened its school visits for next year students. Any idea when do Cornell open school visits for prospective students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I will be applying round 2
Current Student
Send PM
getmba wrote:
ariel, I will be the first one to ask I guess. I know you are pursuing 2 year program, but do you have any idea about the acceptance rate in AMBA program? I would like to visit the campus, but I can't schedule any date yet as Cornell has not opened its school visits for next year students. Any idea when do Cornell open school visits for prospective students.

getmba, I'd imagine school visits would commence within a month or so. I also know that Ann Richards from Admissions will be on the road pretty soon to meet with applicants across the country, so I'd also watch for MBA forums and events where JGSM might be participating as well.

Regarding the AMBA program, it is my understanding that it is slightly less selective in terms of percentage, but admitted applicants tend to have higher GMAT scores on average, more work experience and advanced degrees. The AMBA students I have met so far are all PhD's but I'm sure there is a fair number with masters degrees only. Keep in mind that AMBA's don't have immersions or internships and as such are not as well positioned for a career switch as a student from the two year program would be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
Send PM
You betcha! Targetting R1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Initially I was interested in Cornell but now I'm not so sure after hearing and reading somewhat dismal things about their employment rates after graduation etc. Can anyone comment on recruiting at Johnson, specifically regarding bulge bracket and other banks? Any push by the school to get more companies to campus?
Current Student
Send PM
getmba wrote:
Thanks for the info, ariel! I was under the impression that AMBA students do a 2 week internship in winter as part of management practicum. Thanks for the insight on Phd vs Masters students in the program.

You are aboslutely correct - there is a two week internship as part of the management practicum for AMBA's (in January if I'm not mistaken), but it's debatable whether that experience is sufficient in length to gain a broad hands-on exposure. For perspective, students enrolled in the two year program get 10 weeks of internship + immersion learning in the spring semester of their first year. Generally, the AMBA program is recommended for candidates who already have a specific idea about what they want to do post-MBA.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72