Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Welcome to GMAT Club!
I think you can (and should) do better than Q41 - just get the MGMAT Guides or Kaplan Math Workbook or the Veritas Prep Guides and you should be good to go.

As to how long it takes, it really depends on your starting point - have you taken a GMAT Prep or another diagnostic test?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE:Project Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

bb just one thing..iv asked u this before also...i badly want a 700+ score..so if i follow the 3 month plan (even though uv mentioned above that its not enuf) its not possible to get the desired score?? need some clarification here..cos iv set a 5 to 6 month study plan..then i started considering the 3 month plan u have suggested..now a lil confused.. help! :roll:
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for keeping me honest Jayanth2689!

1. There is no absolute. Your improvement depends on your starting point. Obviously if you are at 650, a month maybe enough to 700
2. The study plan is about 3 months, but the full cycle is closer to 4 months (2 extra weeks to get books and 2 extra weeks to get the exam scheduled and enough courage to schedule the test)

Bottom line - if you have no clue about GMAT and rusty, chances are you need 3-4 months commitment to get a solid score. If you are at a decent place and have an idea about what GMAT is, you can do it much faster. The key is the starting point!

Jayanth2689 wrote:
bb wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.
One thing I would emphasize is how quickly procrastination time goes by. It is way too easy to begin studying with 3 months left, take a short break, and resume studying with only weeks left. On the one hand, it seems like one month is plenty of time to study for just a single test, but after really starting, you realize that you have a LOT to cover and begin panicking. I know that's the case with me. 2 months ago I thought I had an eternity to study, but a couple of days ago I realized I am screwed and wish I had more time. :(

Thank you!
Great point - the message should be clear: If you only have 3 months left and need 700+ score - you are already late!

bb just one thing..iv asked u this before also...i badly want a 700+ score..so if i follow the 3 month plan (even though uv mentioned above that its not enuf) its not possible to get the desired score?? need some clarification here..cos iv set a 5 to 6 month study plan..then i started considering the 3 month plan u have suggested..now a lil confused.. help! :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE:Project Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Thanks for keeping me honest Jayanth2689!

1. There is no absolute. Your improvement depends on your starting point. Obviously if you are at 650, a month maybe enough to 700
2. The study plan is about 3 months, but the full cycle is closer to 4 months (2 extra weeks to get books and 2 extra weeks to get the exam scheduled and enough courage to schedule the test)

Bottom line - if you have no clue about GMAT and rusty, chances are you need 3-4 months commitment to get a solid score. If you are at a decent place and have an idea about what GMAT is, you can do it much faster. The key is the starting point!

Jayanth2689 wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
excellent post bb.

Thank you!

[/quote]

lol :-D no problem at all! i have to be honest that iam very much rusty with the concepts! like my post in a different topic..i scored oly a 460 on the GMATPrep Test :oops: but it duznt bog me down cos i havnt started an indepth prep for the test! and when u ask if i know what the GMAT is..its like how Neo asks Morpheus what the Matrix is :lol: Maybe u can tell me how deep the rabbit hole goes!? ergo what the GMAT is..so that next time somebdy asks me what the GMAT is..i can explain to them in the same way as u are going to (i hope) :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
First of all - thanks to those responsible for putting together all of the great information on this site. I've only just begun to delve into the site and am extremely grateful to have found it before getting too far into the process of studying.

I just received my MGMAT books, including the Fundamentals of GMAT Math book, and OG12 yesterday, so I decided to take my first practice test with GMATPrep tonight after work. I took it cold - no review prior, just downloaded the software and started. Here's how it went:

Quant: 35 (39%)
Verbal: 41 (92%)
Overall score: 640

Clearly my quant needs more work than my verbal, but I plan on bumping up the verbal too. My questions for the experts around here (BB and anyone else) are how accurate is the GMATPrep practice test as an indicator of future scores and is it feasible to increase my quant score enough to get me to a 700+ score in the next 2ish months? I haven't scheduled my test yet, but will need to take it in the next few months. Probably by the end of Oct.

I work full time, but am able to study ~2 hours a night and will probably study (realistically) 8-10 hours total a weekend. What do you think?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kilian - that's a great result! Fantastic Verbal Score.
I have scored 540 on my first one :)

See this tool: https://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/
In general MGMAT tests are pretty accurate.

You should be good with 100 point increase in the next 2 months, just make sure you can actually remember something after you close the book at night. The next day review what you covered the day before and you should be good with that.

Go ahead and start with the Foundations book. You may also want to get the Test Simulation Booklet if have not already (probably worth 10 points ;) )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Kilian - that's a great result! Fantastic Verbal Score.
I have scored 540 on my first one :)

See this tool: (won't let me post a link as a new member)
In general MGMAT tests are pretty accurate.

Very cool tool - thanks for posting it.
bb wrote:
You should be good with 100 point increase in the next 2 months, just make sure you can actually remember something after you close the book at night. The next day review what you covered the day before and you should be good with that.

Go ahead and start with the Foundations book. You may also want to get the Test Simulation Booklet if have not already (probably worth 10 points ;) )

Will do. I'll post updates as things progress. Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMAT Study Plan- Target 750

I have already given the GMAT twice and scored a 540 (V26, Q38) first on Jan 4, 2009 and a 460 (V24, Q30) on March 19, 2009. I have now set to down to score a massive increase through a determined study plan. I am currently out of a job and so can devote a lot more time but also am spending time in my job search and other part time jobs. Current plan is to attack the GMAT in 10 weeks from now.

Target Score: 540 to 750
Time Period: 1 Sept 2010 – 15 Nov 2010

Primary Concepts Review & Practice- 7 weeks
Comprehensive Practice Review- 3 weeks

Books:
1. Kaplan 2011 Premier
2. Manh. SC Guide
3. Manh. CR Guide
4. Manh. RC Guide
5. Manhattan NP Guide
6. Manhattan Geometry Guide
7. Manhattan Equations, Inequalities, & VICs Guide
8. Manhattan Fractions, Decimals, & Percents
9. Manhattan W Trans Guide
10. The OG for GMAT 12TH Edition
11. The OG for GMAT 11TH Edition
12. Kaplan Verbl Wbook
13. Kaplan Math Wbook
14. Power Critical Reasoning- EBook
15. Kaplan Adv

Practice Tests:
6 Manhattan GMAT online
5 Kaplan CAT online
2 GMAT Club test
2 GMAT Prep

Phase 1- General Overview & Diagnostic

I plan to study an overview of all sections before giving my Diagnostic test and am planning to use Kaplan Premier for doing that. This will entail going through all the sections of the GMAT using this book to give me a good overview. And then I plan to do a diagnostic from either Kaplan or Manhattan GMAT. I am choosing to do this, as I want a higher diagnostic start for my mental preparation since I don’t have much time.
* Kaplan Prem- Introduction & overview of all areas
* Diagnostic Test (Manhattan GMAT or Kaplan)
* Setup of Error lit
* Schedule of Study and Timer

Phase 2

Verbal Preparation Plan
I know I want to start my study with verbal and will vary the weeks of preparation based on the diagnostic test. The planned study order may change depending on the results.
1. Sentence Correction
2. Critical Reasoning
3. Reading Comprehension
I plan to work through each section one by one methodically by going through all books explaining that particular verbal subsection and practicing questions at the same time for them.
Books Used
* Manh. SC Guide
* Manh. CR Guide
* PowerScor CR Bible
* Manh. RC Guide
* The OG for GMAT 12TH Edition- Verbal Practice qs
* Kaplan Verbl Wbook- Concepts & practice
* Kaplan 2011 Prem- Verbal Practice qs
* Kaplan Adv-Verbal Practice qs
Partial Verbal CATs
* Use verbal sections of CAT once all 3 areas are completed.

Phase 3

I plan to follow a similar methodical pattern for my quantitative preparation and go through specific areas starting with the Manhattan guides.
Quantitative Preparation
1. Problem Solving
2. Data Sufficiency
Books Used
* Manhattan NP Guide
* Manhattan Geometry Guide
* Manhattan Equations, Inequalities, & VICs Guide
* Manhattan Fractions, Decimals, & Percents
* Manh. Word Transl Guide
* The OG for GMAT 12TH Edition- Math Practice Qs
* Kaplan Math WBook
* Kaplan 2011 Prem- Math Practice qs
* Kaplan Adv-Math Practice Qs

Phase 4-Practice CAT tests

Initially I would have used a few of these tests for section specific practice rather than completing entire tests. But as soon as I am comfortable I will be practicing complete tests with essays.
2 GMAT Prep- taken multiple times
6 Manhattan CATs
5 Kaplan CATs
2 Club tests
Other recommended CATs.

I would like the opinion of members on this plan of execution. What would you recommend to change for each of the phase I have highlighted and if the time is realistic for a 750 score. Thanks for taking the time to offer your comments and advice.
Manager
Manager
Status:He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q36  V19
GPA: 78 percent
Send PM
bb wrote:

GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices

Hope you find this study plan helpful - please let me know any of your tips or suggestions for those just starting out on their GMAT Journey

Attachment:
gmat pyramid.gif

In the General Knowledge stage cover basics for a chapter/section/area
In the Question Strategies stage start practicing questions either for the area you just covered or for an entire section but don't attempt questions for sections you have not covered yet
In the Test Strategies start taking full length tests and practice on putting questions and knowledge together

Here is one of the most common GMAT study plans used by GMAT Club Members:

Use one of the general guidebooks i.e. Kaplan Premiere Book (see here for a full list of recommended books) to learn basic concepts and strategies. You can see how you perform on the Kaplan tests after going through the Premiere book. (Note that Kaplan scores are sometimes off compared to the real GMAT, so don't get too hung up on it).

Month 1
  • Start with Math section first and focus just on math alone (you can do both math and verbal but I suggest you put all attention into one). Plan to spend 4 weeks on it.
  • Start using an Error Log - keep track of your mistakes and guesses -this will become your study guide in Month 3.
  • Optional Step: If you are feeling the load is too heavy and you are really weak in Math - get MGMAT Math Foundations book; it is great in providing a more general overview of math concepts.
  • At the same time, start reading GMAT Fiction (see below for details on what it is for)
  • Get involved with the Math Forum - you will learn a lot esp. when you try to teach someone or explain something
  • After you are done with the math section - start taking the math portion of the tests you have.
  • Evaluate results and decided if you need to spend more time in Math and patch up certain weak areas or move on to Verbal. This decision will be based on your target GMAT score. If you are looking for high 600's and 700's, I would not move past Quant unless I was able to score around Q44 (again Kaplan tests excluded as they are much harder)
  • If you need additional help in Quant - refer to the Math Resources on GMATClub or the GMAT Math Books section. In particular Manhattan GMAT Number Properties book comes highly recommended by many members. Another book you may consider is the PR 1012 - it contains targeted GMAT practice questions, which could be helpful in honing one's skills.
  • If you are comfortable with Quant but want to get to Q50+, use the GMAT Club Tests - they contain only hard questions and were designed as practice for high-level math scorers.

Month 2
  • Start working on the Verbal section. You can start with any section, but my suggestion would be to tackle Sentence Correction first
  • Error Log!
  • Sentence Correction Optional Step: If you are not a native speaker, you will need a good grammar book that steps beyond GMAT and gives you a strong background that you can use as a foundation for GMAT-specific books. Several grammar books are recommended on the Forum (best-gmat-grammar-book-for-international-students-79934.html) but the one that comes up most often is Doing Grammar by Max Morenberg. Another book to consider is Kaplan Verbal Foundations - it is more suited for the GMAT but not as detailed in some areas. This is for you to decide how much help you need or how much time you have. Kaplan Verbal Foundations is quicker and probably easier but incomplete. Also, take a look at GMAT Club's Verbal Resources for many copies of study notes.
  • For your verbal practice, you can start with Kaplan Verbal Workbook - it has good strategies. However a very good alternative is the PowerScore Verbal Bible - i would say it is a good notch higher in terms of value and score improvement. It covers SC, CR, and RC.
  • Optional Step: A large number of GMAT Club members actually skip the step above and instead use specialized books to tackle each of the questions types. The books they use are:
    • Sentence Correction - either MGMAT SC or PowerScore SC
    • Critical Reasoning - either MGMAT CR or PowerScore CR
    • Reading Comprehension - MGMAT RC
    • Note1: MGMAT CR and MGMAT SC come without any practice questions. Instead they refer to questions in the Official Guide 12 and OG Verbal, so you must have those two books to practice and preferably should not have covered it in the past. On the positive note - all Manhattan books come with access to 6 online CAT tests, so you should buy at least one Manhattan GMAT book (any one of them).
    • Note2: This approach of specialized prep takes closer to 2 months for verbal
  • Critical Reasoning Optional Step: If you need additional help with Critical Reasoning - Do not get both PowerScore CR and Manhattan GMAT CR - the books are virtually identical (not really but kind of). Instead you can again use the PR 1012 book for targeted practice with Assumption or Conclusion questions or you can go very heavy weight and use LSAT books, but that's a tad too hardcore and usually unnecessary.
  • Reading Comprehension is often the hardest areas to conquer - there are no clear rules and it is all about understanding of the passage. Unless you strongly feel that Reading is your forte, I would recommend you pick up a reading habit for the time being. I have written a large post on what I call GMAT Fiction and its benefits - take a look. I felt that reading books was a big contributor to my SC and RC abilities. There are no downsides to this really - worst thing possible is that you would have read some great books. And yes - make sure you read them during your low productivity time (at night, during transit, etc).
  • Verbal forum should be your hobby by now :)
  • Take the verbal-only portion of the tests to evaluate your progress (compare to how you did in the diagnostic test).

Month 3
  • This month should be spent on 2 things: taking full length tests (polishing your test taking techniques, timing, stamina) and Reviewing your error log (going through your weaknesses, making sure you understand why you keep making mistakes and how to solve every problem you encountered). You can start using Error log earlier than this by the way - the earlier the better.
  • Schedule your test if you have not done so already.
  • Start taking full length tests (including AWA) - this is important for your test stamina. Plan to spend a Saturday on this and then subsequent test review.
  • Spend a few weeks taking tests and drilling down into your areas of weakness. Create a "black list of questions" that you continue to struggle with and find a way to solve them with minimal mental effort.

!
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
1: Rushing to take tests before learning anything - waste of tests
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
3: Giving GMAT the worst time of the day - studying after a long day
4: Skipping basics and rushing to advanced topics
5: Starting to prepare with poor English proficiency

Other thoughts/suggestions:
A recommendation which seems to be working for me... SUDOKU and RUBIK's CUBE...! Bit abstract just like your recommendation to read GMAT fiction... these to me have been working as priming tools... by DestinyChild

Hello bb,

Thanks for this plan.

Can you please advise tests that should be used to test only quant and only verbal part. In case, if we are using GMAT Prep then, when we will be giving full length test we may see same question again.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

PS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Can someone please help.. I need help organizing my study plan. I've joined Knewton and watch their videos. I also plan on studying from the 8 MGMAT guides & the OG12 which I already have. Trouble is, I learn best when I practice lots of different problems as opposed to learning rules or theories.
Could someone more organized please suggest a way I could incorporate all 3 tools (Knewton, MGmat & OG) in an efficient manner? Thanks a mil..
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Royaldane wrote:
Can someone please help.. I need help organizing my study plan. I've joined Knewton and watch their videos. I also plan on studying from the 8 MGMAT guides & the OG12 which I already have. Trouble is, I learn best when I practice lots of different problems as opposed to learning rules or theories.
Could someone more organized please suggest a way I could incorporate all 3 tools (Knewton, MGmat & OG) in an efficient manner? Thanks a mil..

Hi and welcome to GMAT Club.
There are actually recommended questions from the OG listed in the MGMAT Guides, so that should help you integrate the OG questions and your MGMAT guides.

As to Knewton, that should be self-sufficient.
You are actually doing double the work, so would be careful with being able to focus on each set of materials. Double the books does not equal double the score, unfortunately.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BB,
Thanks for your reply. So you recommend I simply follow the 8 MGMAT guides with the recommended problem sets? I could watch the Knewton videos as reference and just follow the MGMAT guides to the tee. What do you think? Thanks a mil again..
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Royaldane wrote:
BB,
Thanks for your reply. So you recommend I simply follow the 8 MGMAT guides with the recommended problem sets? I could watch the Knewton videos as reference and just follow the MGMAT guides to the tee. What do you think? Thanks a mil again..

I am suggesting that you put your full attention into one or the other. If you have some time/energy left, you can absolutely do more but make sure you give the minimum needed attention.

Also, as an FYI - make sure you do all the Knewton exercises - you have to in order to have Money Back Guarantee apply to your score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:INSEAD R2, IMD, HEC R2
 Q48  V44
Send PM
I want to quote here the reply that I gave to mhasan in his own topic.

These are simple calculations, but they can show that even 3 months preparation period is not really too long for someone who is limited by say 2 hours of preparation per day. Otherwise one can readily get an illusion that he has plenty of time before the real exam, and then not to fulfill even a half of the planned preparation program.

Comments are welcome!

evp2000fr wrote:
Hi mhasan!

I'm definitely not an expert here, but I think that I can also give you some info worthwhile to consider.

My advice - be realistic in your time management. As you have a definite date limit you can estimate your total time budget and make some simple calculations.

For example, there are a little bit more than 800 questions in the OG12. Even if you take 2 min per question on answering it and 5 min on revision (check the answer, analyze the solution, draw the conclusions and memorize the strategy) that gives you 6000 min budget or 100 hours of PURE work time. On three hours a day basis it makes one month only to work through the OG12.

Each CAT that you will take is 4 hours of test (it goes without saying that you have to take the full format CATs with AWA part to put yourself in the real test conditions) plus at least 3 hours of revision (you have to analyse EACH question, even those that you answered correctly). So, if you plan to make 2 GMATPreps + 6 MGMATs, that will give you 70 hours more of PURE work time.

Put in the time that you'll have to spend on theory reading (you bought all the MGMAT manuals, didn't you?) and the 10 week deadline that you have will seem to you really too close! :)

Just from my personal experience, three months ago I began my preparation by getting old Kaplan GMAT and Kaplan 800 (old editions but for free). I also bought OG12 and MGMAT SC as I had real problems with SC. And I thought that I had plenty of time to go through of all these manuals and to do all the MGMAT CATs. I even planned to buy OG Quant & Verbal as I thought that I was going to have some spare time.

The result is that...
Well, of course I had my job and my family (so, not more than 12 hours of study time per week), and I had also those two weeks seaside vacations (where I took the OG12 but never opened it ;) ), but anyway...

So, I have the real exam in one week, and up to date I have only done through the both Kaplan manuals (quantitative part of Kaplan 800 really sucks! :( ), MGMAT Number properties, and I've done some 100 quant problems from OG12, and 3 CAT exams (GMATPrep #1 and MGMAT #1 & #2).

I still haven't opened the MGMAT SC guide, nor have I done any verbal problem from OG12. That's what I call a bad time management! ;)

So, to stick to the structure of the AWA essay, my CONCLUSION: Be realistic on the time that you have, plan your workload through the phases that you defined, and do not postpone the work with the OG problems!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

Thank you so much for this helpful resource. I am preparing to take the GMAT some time in November and had a quick question. Currently, I have purchased the Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011, the OG, OG Verbal, OG Quant and the set of 8 Manhattan books so I am stocked up on study material. (Is there anything else I need??) My questions is, do you recommend taking the first of the two free GMAT Prep tests prior to any studying with the aforementioned books? Or should I take it after reviewing the Kaplan book once I am more comfortable with the test and the material? Most resources I have consulted seem to think these two free tests are very valuable so I want to use them to the maximum benefit. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
od1235 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you so much for this helpful resource. I am preparing to take the GMAT some time in November and had a quick question. Currently, I have purchased the Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011, the OG, OG Verbal, OG Quant and the set of 8 Manhattan books so I am stocked up on study material. (Is there anything else I need??) My questions is, do you recommend taking the first of the two free GMAT Prep tests prior to any studying with the aforementioned books? Or should I take it after reviewing the Kaplan book once I am more comfortable with the test and the material? Most resources I have consulted seem to think these two free tests are very valuable so I want to use them to the maximum benefit. Thanks!

You are good with materials!
Yes, take a gmat prep now (before studying), so you understand where you are right now - you may want to get familiar with question formats, types, etc and other basics, but it is helpful to know your standing position and your improvement later on.
No, you are not wasting it. Here is why: what-is-the-best-way-to-start-the-gmat-journey-98067.html#p754966
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
I took my test last December and scored a 660 (Q45, V36) with a month of prep. I am aiming for top schools (Top 15) so I would need at-least 720 or maybe even more as my GPA is not very high.

I realized that the big mistake I made was I was overconfident about math and dived right into OG. OG questions seemed doable but the exam was much harder. Now I am using the MGMAT for SC and some math. But MGMAT keeps referring to OG questions. What should I do as I already did the OG (with not so nice results)?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  42