Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: LSAT for GMAT [#permalink]
Completely agree with both comments above. Gurpreet's got the right plan too. Once you do both you'll see the difference between the two and even be able to guess correctly on quite a few whether they came from LSAT prep or GMAT prep.

LSAT prep materials will help your reasoning skills but if you can find enough GMAT CRs and RCs to complete your study plan and get your goal score in practice CATs, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage for never attempting an LSAT question.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Also see this extensive discussion: usefulness-of-lsat-books-materials-80818.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
I would recommend that you practice using LSAT material only after you have completely exhausted all good GMAT material.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
U should select LSAT only if have exhausted the OG's. By the time you will return back to OG's, after LSAT, you will forget most of the questions.

Moreover GMATPREP, MGMAT tests will have lot of fresh CR, RC questions. So do not worry about fresh material.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Do LSAT CR questions differ from GMAT CR questions?
Why I am asking, because I saw several LSAT CR qs and they seemed to me quite difficult and a sort of non-GMAT.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I banged out a pretty high LSAT after ~6 months of studying. I scored a 97% percentile on the V section of the GMAT and I think I could have easily done better. The GMAT verbal seemed like a joke compared to the LSAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I would highly recommend for you to use LSAT CR and RC materials to study for GMAT. It was really helpful to me. I gone from a low 30's (before LSAT) to a low 40's on GMAT verbal. Also, I no longer have any timing issue with GMAT verbal once I did my LSAT. I usually finished 10 mins early and I always have time to read the RC passage twice. Yes, there are easy LSAT question b/c inorder to get a 97 - 99 percentile on a GMAT(minimum for Ivy League Law school), you need to get atleast 89/101 questions right, therefore LSAT need to give you some easy questions or else test takers will prob get brain damaged if you have to do GMAT CR or LSAT CR 95 percentile level questions for 4 hours under tremendous pressure.

CR: I would recommend for you to do only LSAT CR (inference, assumption, weakened, and strengthen question) and ofcourse RC. There are many more LSAT CR question types than GMAT such as method of reasoning and parallel reasoning. you don't need to know that. LSAT language is much more complicated than the GMAT especially on the difficult question. I would suggest to borrow an LSAT prep book from your friend who took an LSAT class. Those prep book will compile atlest 200 CR questions for each LSAT CR question type (like 200 inference questions, 200 assumption questions). Those are amazing for you.

As for RC, LSAT RC is more complicated than GMAT. For anyone who doubt this, try looking at LSAT DEC 09, 3rd RC passage about sculpture and art history. LSAT is hard b/c of the wording of their question and answer choice. The devil is in the detail. The passage is usually not too complicated, its the answer choice and questions that can be extremely tricky. It is very subtle compare to GMAT. I used to have prob with GMAT RC, but after I finished LSAT RC, I consistently got a perfect score on RC on every practice test. GMAT RC questions are much more forgiving than LSAT. I would recommend anyone who struggles with RC to read the economist article actively. Meaning that you should always notice subtleties in author tone, author can say things like "this scientist ambitious project to decode human genome is under scrutiny by some critics". When you see the word (adj) ambitious, you should instantly be aware that this author likes this scientist, since he describe the project as ambitious. Then you should know the main point of the passage. Lastly, know any distinction or shift in authors narrative. (some critics say this, other say that, both of them are wrong, or I agree with the first critics). This comes up all the time on LSAT. I'm sure GMAT too. If you can do this, I'm sure you'll be golden for GMAT CR and RC.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
atey2010 wrote:
I would highly recommend for you to use LSAT CR and RC materials to study for GMAT. It was really helpful to me. I gone from a low 30's (before LSAT) to a low 40's on GMAT verbal. Also, I no longer have any timing issue with GMAT verbal once I did my LSAT. I usually finished 10 mins early and I always have time to read the RC passage twice. Yes, there are easy LSAT question b/c inorder to get a 97 - 99 percentile on a GMAT(minimum for Ivy League Law school), you need to get atleast 89/101 questions right, therefore LSAT need to give you some easy questions or else test takers will prob get brain damaged if you have to do GMAT CR or LSAT CR 95 percentile level questions for 4 hours under tremendous pressure.

CR: I would recommend for you to do only LSAT CR (inference, assumption, weakened, and strengthen question) and ofcourse RC. There are many more LSAT CR question types than GMAT such as method of reasoning and parallel reasoning. you don't need to know that. LSAT language is much more complicated than the GMAT especially on the difficult question. I would suggest to borrow an LSAT prep book from your friend who took an LSAT class. Those prep book will compile atlest 200 CR questions for each LSAT CR question type (like 200 inference questions, 200 assumption questions). Those are amazing for you.

As for RC, LSAT RC is more complicated than GMAT. For anyone who doubt this, try looking at LSAT DEC 09, 3rd RC passage about sculpture and art history. LSAT is hard b/c of the wording of their question and answer choice. The devil is in the detail. The passage is usually not too complicated, its the answer choice and questions that can be extremely tricky. It is very subtle compare to GMAT. I used to have prob with GMAT RC, but after I finished LSAT RC, I consistently got a perfect score on RC on every practice test. GMAT RC questions are much more forgiving than LSAT. I would recommend anyone who struggles with RC to read the economist article actively. Meaning that you should always notice subtleties in author tone, author can say things like "this scientist ambitious project to decode human genome is under scrutiny by some critics". When you see the word (adj) ambitious, you should instantly be aware that this author likes this scientist, since he describe the project as ambitious. Then you should know the main point of the passage. Lastly, know any distinction or shift in authors narrative. (some critics say this, other say that, both of them are wrong, or I agree with the first critics). This comes up all the time on LSAT. I'm sure GMAT too. If you can do this, I'm sure you'll be golden for GMAT CR and RC.

I have compared LSAT powerscore CR Bible to GMAT powerscore CR Bible, every single word is the same, except for some chapters, which are specific to LSAT only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
"I have compared LSAT powerscore CR Bible to GMAT powerscore CR Bible, every single word is the same, except for some chapters, which are specific to LSAT only. "

Reply: I did not talk about powerscore CR bible or powerscore GMAT bible. The CR practice book that you can purchase online is not as good as the full length LSAT coursework book (such as Testmasters, Kaplan LSAT advanced) These courses will give you about 5500 real lsat questions ever released from 91 to 09. They also arranged into question types like inference, assumption, strengthen and weakened. They group their hw based on each CR question type like they'll give you 500 practices question solely on inference questions. Its more for a practice and improve your intuition. There are no tricks to do well on the test, you just have to learn their intuition and understand the test.

You can definitely transfer LSAT mentality to GMAT CR and RC. That's what I did and that's how i improved my score.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
The relevant books that I used were: Powerscore CR Bible, Powerscore LR Bible, Powerscore RC Bible, and LSAC SuperPrep.

Overall, LSAT questions and study guides are considered more difficult than GMAT ones. For the most part, however, these are not necessary for GMAT purposes. One can perform very well on the test by using GMAT-specific material. Manhattan and Powerscore offer great books for verbal. Combined with the OG questions, and participation in the forums, you can accomplish your goals.

However, you can certainly benefit a great deal from LSAT resources too. These are powerful tools. If you are extremely weak in RC and LR, or seriously want a 750-plus score, then it could be worth it.

Regarding questions, I don't think that your GMAT equilibrium will be thrown off by supplementing your studies with some LSAT questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My tutor recommended doing LSAT verbal (critical reasoning and comprehension). His reasoning was that it is harder than the GMAT equivalent sections and once you can do the LSAT, the GMAT is a piece of cake. I ended up with a 750, but Verbal was my strong point from the beginning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Pkit wrote:

I have compared LSAT powerscore CR Bible to GMAT powerscore CR Bible, every single word is the same, except for some chapters, which are specific to LSAT only.

I am lost...so both GMAT and LSAT CR bibles are almost similar?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
score780 wrote:

The chapters that overlap are identical. But the LR Bible has additional chapters and covers more topics than the CR Bible.

See this link: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
score780 wrote:

The chapters that overlap are identical. But the LR Bible has additional chapters and covers more topics than the CR Bible.

bmillan, i read your other thread on LSAT books but i am lost. You're saying here that the LSAT CR bible covers more chapters. Are these chapters needed for the GMAT...can they be considered advanced practice or they contain topics that are totally irrelevant to GMAT?
I already have the GMAT CR bible. If i want intense training, should i also get the LSAT CR bible? For LR, should i buy the LSAT or GMAT bible?

thanks a mill!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
score780 wrote:
bmillan01 wrote:
score780 wrote:

bmillan, i read your other thread on LSAT books but i am lost. You're saying here that the LSAT CR bible covers more chapters. Are these chapters needed for the GMAT...can they be considered advanced practice or they contain topics that are totally irrelevant to GMAT?
I already have the GMAT CR bible. If i want intense training, should i also get the LSAT CR bible? For LR, should i buy the LSAT or GMAT bible?

thanks a mill!

They are certain topics that are irrelevant to the GMAT. The LSAT has more types of CR questions than the GMAT does. I would say the GMAT bible is fine, the end of the chapter questions are exactly identical.
GMAT Club Bot