Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [26]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [9]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [5]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: With only 7 percent of the globe's surface area, rainforests contain [#permalink]
zisis wrote:
With only 7 percent of the globe's surface area, rainforests contain more than half of the world's plant and animal species, and absorb more carbon dioxide than any other land-based ecosystem on earth.

With
As
Being
Despite having
Although accounting for

Answer : E
Red portion explains why we need Although here.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&amp;Gas
Send PM
Re: With only 7 percent of the globe's surface area, rainforests contain [#permalink]
By the way, is "Despite having" even proper usage?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
E...we need to show a contrast ....so eliminate A B C ....between D and E ..E is better ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
please explain y E over D? i understand why to eliminate ABC, but why is D not a valid answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I narrowed it to D and E and went for D.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
E it is. We need to show contrast and DESPITE HAVING is awkward because it suggests that the rain forests possess that area.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is not "Although Ving" usage wrong? According to MGMAT SC Guide, such a usage is wrong. For example, it show the following to be wrong.

I study effectively although taking frequent naps.

Could you please clarify?
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
With only 7 percent of the globe's surface area, rainforests contain more than half of the world's plant and animal species, and absorb more carbon dioxide than any other land-based ecosystem on earth.

--I have noticed a common pattern: in many modifier questions, the modifier doesn't start with "with". Use of "with" is more apt for a prepositional phrase.

(A) With -Wrong meaning. Rain forests don't contain 7% surface area, they cover that much area.
(B) As -Rain forests are not surface area, they cover that much area.
(C) Being -Same error as in B.
(D) Despite having -Same error as in A
(E) Although accounting for -Correct meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
daagh GMATNinja

Didn't this question break the subordinating conjunction rule ? Please guide.

A phrase that begins with a subordinating conjunction (e.g. because, although, when, unless, until) is a clause, and an -ING word should not follow the conjunction. A subject + conjugated verb should be used instead.

This one started with an Although, It should have the subject mentioned in the clause.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM